DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

3 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I was 27 in 2003.  John Cena, pretty much his entire career, has never been funny or cool in ANY of his gimmicks.  It was like his gimmick went from Vanilla Ice to larping a pg13-wannabe Eminem to pretty much Christian Rap-style opposite of hip or cool.  

John Cena's window of being funny and cool was very small.  It was the heel portion of his rapper gimmick.  The duration was weeks and is probably easily forgotten.  

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

I remember Cena getting pushback for the rapper gimmick when all of his disses would end with DEEZ NUTS.

YES and he'd have to pull out a literal pack of peanuts when he did it so, I suppose, the company could claim plausible deniability w/r/t him talking about his actual testicles.  You can't half-ass the dirty talk and still be cool.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's hilarious except that it's sad how WWE has called belts "titles" and "championships" for so long that now people in other companies do it.  Vince succeeded in changing the language of wrestling because of an absurd personal hangup.

The belt represents the title or the championship, but the actual thing you wear is a belt.

11 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

John Cena's window of being funny and cool was very small.  It was the heel portion of his rapper gimmick.  The duration was weeks and is probably easily forgotten.  

It was less than a month between July and August of '03 - I only know because that sick ass block logo Word Life raglan tee was the last WWE shirt I bought til ~2011 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Not easily forgotten, but easily missed. During this time he spouted out stuff that would get him cancelled today and then some. But yeah, he was very cool in my mind at this time. Didn't last long, but that's the way I always think of him, no matter how "lame" he got.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Tony Khan - Kenny Omega vs Jungle Boy has been moved to the Saturday Dynamite episode (June 26)

Also confirmed that next week will also be a Friday night, and the 26th will be the final preemption. No word on the other remaining dynamite between next Friday and the 26th. 

11 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Also confirmed that next week will also be a Friday night, and the 26th will be the final preemption. No word on the other remaining dynamite between next Friday and the 26th. 

Saturday - from the WON writeup

Starting last week, AEW has five straight weeks of either Friday or Saturday Dynamites. This week and next week's show will be on Friday with two straight Saturdays rounding out the month.

So...

June 4 (Tonight) - Friday

June 11 - Friday

June 19 - Saturday

June 26 - Saturday

Edited by RIPPA
Math is hard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm cool with Saturdays as we've been looking for things to keep us in the house and not spending money when going out.  Or if I can schedule poker nights that can work too.

But watching the show on Fridays?  Yeah, no thank you.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It was less than a month between July and August of '03 - I only know because that sick ass block logo Word Life raglan tee was the last WWE shirt I bought til ~2011 

I recently sold this shirt for $400.  The back said something like "if you don't know, we don't want you to know"

37 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I recently sold this shirt for $400.  The back said something like "if you don't know, we don't want you to know"

Wait, $400?  Is that the one that has "Word Life" in the WM font?  If so I'd very curious to see how it was worth that much.

Of course with it being so long and me wearing it so many times (plus a hole in the sleeve) it would be useless if I tried selling it.  But that's very interesting to find out either way.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been mentioned a time or two, but the Double or Nothing theme music is dope, and I wish AEW would use it or something similarly sexy or sax-y for Dynamite.  Enough of that awful light the fuse bullshit.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Boom! Let's go ignite/ Elements collide in a flash of light / and you feel the Boom that means it's time / light the fuse, bring the boom, Dynamite!

I don't think you're ready for what's here / Energy that matches warfare / Feel the tension rising now / Pack em in tight as we form a crowd / Shut the lights off, make the noise stop / Got the whole room ready for a Mic Drop / Sub kicks in, got 'em in a frenzy / Acting like a Friday when it's really only Wednesday!

It's about-bout time for a drop-drop / Spent enough years waiting in the chop shop / Yeah we're ready and we're coming for the top spot / And you all fall down because we're non stop / Full speed as we're changing the lanes / Everybody looking now because we're changing the game / Gathering the masses up cuz we've disrupted the frame / Cause a rumble in the riot and you'll never be the same!

(repeat chorus)

... there's a second verse too. Something about paradigm shifts. The band is called No One Hero, the song is called Dynamite.

• Thanks 1

The Friday shows are just at an awful spot and are just coming at the worst time as the are killing the go home and follow ups to Double or Nothing. The ratings are just going to tank at that time slot no matter what and AEW isn’t really counter programming with must see television. I don’t think there has been anything for 3 weeks that would have popped a rating in their regular slot much less this terrible one. Honestly, they’re losing momentum.

• Sad 1

Live+7 viewership was apparently up around 1 million viewers, so AEW’s usual audience found the show, even if they didn’t stay in/up late on a Friday night to watch it live.  Which is pretty much exactly how I figured it would be.  I don’t think there’s really anything to sweat about these late Friday live numbers.

• Like 3

From what I saw, the ratings for last Friday were the worst in company history at like 526,000. I’m not sure where you are finding your number? I tried googling It but didn’t find it. 

48 minutes ago, Goodear said:

From what I saw, the ratings for last Friday were the worst in company history at like 526,000. I’m not sure where you are finding your number? I tried googling It but didn’t find it. 

It's in the Observer. Basically, most people DVR'd the show and watched it later. Nielsen tracks that as well.

“If you include DVR +6 viewership, AEW ended up with 47.3 percent live viewership, 35.5 percent DVR viewership and 17.2 percent VOD viewership. So total viewers including DVR viewers was based on an average minute of the show was 924,000. Including DVR viewing, the average viewer watched 53.2 percent of the show and total viewers between live and DVR were 1,737,000”

Quick follow up regarding the moving of Omega/Jungle Boy

From the WON website

Regarding the move of the Kenny Omega vs. Jungle Boy match from the scheduled 6/11 Dynamite show to 6/26, Tony Khan said he decided he wanted the match to air live (6/11 and 6/18 are taped shows) and wanted to make 6/26 a major show.

• Like 1