DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

8 hours ago, AxB said:

But a few short years later, when they were starting the Austin vs McMahon angle and Austin was talking about how there was a Conspiracy against him, and Vince goes on TV and says "I think he's been watching too many... (goes blank, then suddenly remembers) Oliver Stone (!! He looks so proud!) movies". And the audience doesn't get the JFK reference because if you say Oliver Stone movies in 99, they think Natural Born Killers and Platoon.

They did the Waylon Mercy thing like 4 years after the Scorsese version and 30 plus years after the original. For him to get Oliver Stone and be able to connect the dots is at least progressive. However, I would say JFK was still relevant when Austin vs. McMahon was going on.

Platoon was not too long after he wrote Scarface and Midnight Express. Hell, if you told Vince the team he was doing the NWA parody of was named after a movie, he probably would have no idea what you meant.

Vince probably purposefully ignores today's movies because he remembers the day when you could go to the theater and get 2 tickets, a large popcorn, 2 drinks AND some candy all for a dollar. 

Vince is a lot less Mr. Burns and more Grandpa Simpson these days I imagine. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They did the Waylon Mercy thing like 4 years after the Scorsese version and 30 plus years after the original. For him to get Oliver Stone and be able to connect the dots is at least progressive. However, I would say JFK was still relevant when Austin vs. McMahon was going on.

Hell, Maffew is still getting mileage out of "Back, and to the left ... back, and to the left ..."

4 hours ago, Peck said:

Didn't Vince just go to a Dave Chappelle show?  If we see a black NXT member called up to Raw as a blind white supremacist we'll know whose stamp was all over that one. 

It was a Donnell Rawlings (Ashy Larry) show, but yeah, the point stands.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Platoon was not too long after he wrote Scarface and Midnight Express. Hell, if you told Vince the team he was doing the NWA parody of was named after a movie, he probably would have no idea what you meant.

I'm sure you're right and I'm glad you mentioned Scarface, because we should never forget that Vince had no clue Scott Hall was doing a Tony Montana impersonation for Razor Ramon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Clean shaven, short hair, articulate Otis surely landed a job at Park, Park, Park and Park.

Put him in a plaid shirt and he could do an early-seasons Dan Conner gimmick.

• Haha 2

I debated posting this in the Network thread but fuck it since everyone yells about stupid shit anyway

The WWE finished announcing its 50 Greatest Tag Teams List

Before everyone looks and talks about how the list has no credibility - a few things to know (besides it being a WWE list)

• It was JUST WWF/WWE teams from the last 50 years (no WCW or ECW teams or at least their tenures weren't considered. They got a separate segment)
  • No women teams (They also got a separate segment)
  • The way the list was ranked was by looking at the title reigns, the longevity and the cultural impact they had.

Anyway - here is the list (Spoilers just for size)

Spoiler

The list of top 50 WWE tag teams is:

50. The Bushwhackers
49. Too Cool
48. The Quebecers
47. Smoking Gunns
46. Strikeforce
45. The Headshrinkers
44. Kane & X-PAC
43. Batista & Ric Flair
42. MNM
41. Nasty Boys
40. Rated RKO
39. Paul London and Brian Kendrick
38. DIY
37. World’s Greatest Tag Team
36. Money Inc.
35. Chris Jericho and The Big Show
34. Natural Disasters
33. The Street Profits
32. Jack and Gerald Brisco
31. The Bludgeon Brothers/Luke Harper and Erick Rowan
30. British Bulldog and Owen Hart.
29. John Morrison and The Miz.
28. The Bar
27. Team Hell No
26. Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik
25. Los Guerreros
24. The APA
23. The Blackjacks
22. The Shield
21. DX (Shawn Michaels and Triple H)
20. The Undisputed Era
19. The Soul Patrol (Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas)
18. Professor Toru Tanaka and Mr. Fuji
17. The Steiner Brothers
16. The Rock N’ Sock Connection
15. The Wild Samoans
14. The Rockers
13. The Mega Powers
12. The Valiant Brothers
11. Demolition
10. The British Bulldogs
9. The Brothers of Destruction
8. The New Age Outlaws
7. The Usos
6. The Legion of Doom
5. The Dudley Boyz
4. Edge & Christian
3. Hart Foundation
2. The Hardy Boyz
1. The New Day

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Surprised no Graham Brothers or Petez/Rocca, even at the bottom. 

You totally missed the "in the last 50 years" part right?

Heck and the Grahams didn't even go into the WWF Hall of Fame together

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You totally missed the "in the last 50 years" part right?

Heck and the Grahams didn't even go into the WWF Hall of Fame together

I figured it was probably something like not including WWWF teams. 

Killer Bees, Rougeaus and Adonis/Murdoch are the most glaring omissions for me.

Demolition should be top 5. Hart Foundation are too high. British Bulldogs too low.

There are too many very short-lived tag teams in the list (Rock 'n Sock, Jeri-Show, Batista/Flair, X-Pac Kane, Team Hell No)

EDIT: No Brain Busters? That's shocking.

Edited by Happ Hazzard
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

EDIT: No Brain Busters? That's shocking.

Arn and Tully were specifically mentioned in the segment they did on WCW/ECW teams

And remember - they were in the WWF barely a year and since longevity was one of the factors considered, it is easy to see why they were left off

Dammit - hit reply too early

Remember - the Killer Bees never were tag champs in the WWF and title reigns were stated as a factor so it is easy to see why some of those other teams got in over them

I mean considering they talk about "cultural relevance" as a factor too - it is easy to see why Rock N Sock would get in over a lot of teams (And the WWE LOVES to think Evolution was way more important than it actually was so Batista/Flair also makes sense)

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Arn and Tully were specifically mentioned in the segment they did on WCW/ECW teams

And remember - they were in the WWF barely a year and since longevity was one of the factors considered, it is easy to see why they were left off

The Steiners were there for about the same length of time. And I would would say that the Brain Busters WWF run was more successful even though they only won the belts once compared to three times for the Steiners. Just because they ended Demolition's 16 month title reign.

Cultural impact? Like, wrestling culture, or American culture? What does that mean? I'm saying the same thing I say whenever they do a list like this, the Demos should be higher. Jesus, if it's just WWE stuff, Demos should be higher than LOD, IMO. Who the hells makes these?

Anyways, I did a thing today. I spent $400 on 100 issues of the Observer from 1988 and 1989. Did I do a stupid thing? Some guy on Reddit summarizes some of these but I'm hoping there's more in them than that stuff. I'm not sure they'll ever be on the F4W site, or at least not until they get past 2007 or so. 

Edited by notoriusvig
  • Like 1