DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

To add to this topic and also piggy back off of the Miro discussion in the AEW thread, who is the best non-native English speaker (for English promos) on this list?

Its almost Eddie, but last I checked El Paso was in the USA so he’s out. Then there’s Owens as a clear candidate from recent/current guys. But all time? I dunno.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I feel that Arn at least should be an honorable mention.  When you're with Flair it's easy to seem a bit overshadowed in that department but Arn was/is so damn good at it.

I think Arn and Eddie Kingston are the best at making me believe that they believe what they're saying.

Most of the others we've mentioned are more "showy".  They're awesome, but they're almost acting.  They're turning it way up.  Arn and Eddie are more low-key with their delivery.  They can get intense, but it's not yelling and screaming and catchphrases.

I can't, at the moment, think of any other great promos like that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

That's a pretty great list. Out of guys I don't think you've mentioned, I might add Dusty, Macho, Thunderbolt Patterson, Terry Funk... and Eddie Kingston, who is the only current guy I'd give serious consideration to.

He's maybe not known as a great talker, but the single greatest promo I have heard was cut by Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie in Stampede after Bad News Allen beat up Gouldie's son.

Thank you.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

That's a pretty great list. Out of guys I don't think you've mentioned, I might add Dusty, Macho, Thunderbolt Patterson, Terry Funk... and Eddie Kingston, who is the only current guy I'd give serious consideration to.

He's maybe not known as a great talker, but the single greatest promo I have heard was cut by Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie in Stampede after Bad News Allen beat up Gouldie's son.

You meant to say Cody, right?

;).

27 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

To add to this topic and also piggy back off of the Miro discussion in the AEW thread, who is the best non-native English speaker (for English promos) on this list?

Its almost Eddie, but last I checked El Paso was in the USA so he’s out. Then there’s Owens as a clear candidate from recent/current guys. But all time? I dunno.

I'd go with Konnan or Pat Patterson 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not sure if this goes here or in the purge thread....

After all the dumb shit PS has done over the years, I wonder what was the straw that broke the camel's back? (If I'm reading this correctly lol)

Edit: I guess I read it wrong...Ceman is out.

Edited by Infinit

He's definitely lost his fastball these days, but Jericho deserves mention as a good talker.  One of the few guys who could regularly pull off a genuinely funny promo.

• Like 3

From Wiki

"In March 2012, Ceman began working as the Senior Director of Talent Development for WWE. As part of his job, he oversees the developmental program NXT and scouts athletic talent at events including NCAA Wrestling and World's Strongest Man competitions."

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unlocked this topic

Might just mean they're doing KotR this year, so someone else gets to be King for the next two or three years.

Though why he's not going back to Baron I don't know.

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Ron Garvin was a decent enough promo. Probably not as good as Rick Martel though who was phenomenal as the Model and only a few years earlier reportedly could not speak English very well at all.

Add Jacques Rougeau to the list as well.

Edited by Happ Hazzard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, Vince has finally gotten to the Adam Sandler phase of comedy movies.  Can't wait for him to get to Don't Mess With The Zayn-han

“Uh, Johnny get me The Goon and Bob Barker on the line, I’ve got an idea for a huge Wrestlemania match”

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, Vince has finally gotten to the Adam Sandler phase of comedy movies.  Can't wait for him to get to Don't Mess With The Zayn-han

Something tells me Sami Zayn won't be thrilled playing an Israeli character...

EDIT: In completely unrelated news - Chelsea Green, Matt Cardona, Brian Myers, Swoggle and Smart Mark Sterling have filmed a Pabst Blue Ribbon commercial apparently. Talk about weird collaborations...

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Vince being so out of touch is funny, because if you rewatch the 93/94 Raws, dude was all about pop culture. Roseanne and Tom Arnold? Oh ho Vince has some opinions

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

EDIT: In completely unrelated news - Chelsea Green, Matt Cardona, Brian Myers, Swoggle and Smart Mark Sterling have filmed a Pabst Blue Ribbon commercial apparently. Talk about weird collaborations...

What's he, the Brewski now?

7 hours ago, elizium said:

Vince being so out of touch is funny, because if you rewatch the 93/94 Raws, dude was all about pop culture. Roseanne and Tom Arnold? Oh ho Vince has some opinions

But a few short years later, when they were starting the Austin vs McMahon angle and Austin was talking about how there was a Conspiracy against him, and Vince goes on TV and says "I think he's been watching too many... (goes blank, then suddenly remembers) Oliver Stone (!! He looks so proud!) movies". And the audience doesn't get the JFK reference because if you say Oliver Stone movies in 99, they think Natural Born Killers and Platoon.

• Haha 4

Didn't Vince just go to a Dave Chappelle show?  If we see a black NXT member called up to Raw as a blind white supremacist we'll know whose stamp was all over that one. 

• Haha 3