DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I deleted Twitter and Facebook back in April. Happiest I've been in a while since. I still see things like the Sasha stuff and remember why I quit it. I don't need to know anyone's thoughts on everything and I don't want to. I just want to enjoy what I like without a much of BS underneath it.

Deleted facebook. Kept twitter because of Fantasy sports. Can't give away that competitive advantage. But there are days....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

In re: Sasha, I think like-policing your favorite wrestlers is some real weirdo fan shit to do, even when it comes to this. I feel like, you know, mind your own business! If someone starts posting about it or can't stop themselves from talking about it in interviews, that's different and fair game.

I'd like to politely disagree. Maybe it'd be smarter for the pro wrestler who depends partially on the support of fans to ply their trade to think about what they like and whom they follow on a public-facing social media account? These wrestlers want to have another avenue of connection with the fans, which is fine, but the stuff that people see via that avenue of connection is absolutely fair game. 

Pro wrestlers are less like their fans than ever, so what I would suggest is actually for pro wrestlers to have a public-facing set of social media accounts which post only promotional materials or the most anodyne of observations. Sasha Banks's accounts should be focused on speaking to her fanbase and maintaining that fanbase. Mercedes Varnado's accounts should a) be set to privacy and b) should be less scrutinized as a result of their being personal and private. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
Who/whom error AARGH
  • Thanks 1

If you really wanted to out some scumbags from wrestling circles who are outspoken for their garbage opinions on social media, they aren't hard to find. Chief being Glenn Gilbertti. 

Billi Bhatti continues to find ways to weasel back on somehow despite constantly getting banned, usually through other "podcast" accounts or burners.

21 hours ago, Eoae said:

Is Sasha out there advising people to not get vaccinated?  I'm not paying much attention to the story, but it seems like someone went through her likes looking for something controversial to stir people up about.  Is there more to it than that?  I don't know that I want people judging who I am as a person on the basis of one or two liked posts.  I like posts for a variety of reasons, often without knowing too much about who or what made the post.  I think i probably occasionally like posts by people I don't like or respect because they said something funny or made a point about a particular issue that I agree with.  

Personally, I don't feel like there are many valid reasons not to get vaccinated and I don't have much patience for anti-vaxxers who babble at me about their freedom or experimental or their choice or whatever.  I'm even a little skeptical when people tell me they can't get vaccinated for medical reasons, though since I'm not a doctor, I'm guessing a very select few may have a valid concern on that front (a lot fewer than make the claim)

That said, I find it odd to get bent out of shape because a person I'll never meet has an opinion I don't agree with.  Sasha didn't ask my opinion and doesn't need it.  If I ever find myself in a conversation with her, I'll gladly explain to her why I think her stance (if it's really her stance) is wrong-headed, but till then getting offended because the woman I watch perform on tv once in a while has an opinion I don't agree with is silly.  I don't know the first thing about her as a person, so I'm not in a position to have a valid opinion on what she thinks or feels about anything.  Trying to pretend I have a valid opinion on Mercedes Varnado is probably just going to make me look idiotic because it's most likely going to be based on a lot incorrect assumptions and incomplete information.

So we should give some consideration to the humanity of pro wrestlers when we follow their twitter timelines (or whatever. I am not a big social media guy). Hard to disagree. Seems like a good idea.

Might it perhaps also make sense to give some consideration to the humanity of pro wrestlers when they are fired by the filthy rich corporate behemoth that they work for? Could we maybe give that a try while we are being so considerate?

• Like 6

On 6/26/2021 at 2:05 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

You know... I'm starting to think that the WCW Saturday Night call in to vote for the main event wasn't on the up n up

Along those lines, I was wondering how bad, in kayfabe, the gm's or whoever books tv each night must be at their job.  It seems like every episode, we get impromptu matches because someone interrupts a promo and wants a match right now, or storms the ring and refuses to leave until he gets a match with the champion, or wrestles a tag match only to have it turn into a tag match after his bodyguard interferes.  I mean, if none of these impromptu matches took place, you'd have an hour-long show.

I guess the kayfabe excuse would be that they have a lot of unannounced matches that never take place because they're bumped so AJ Styles can get revenge on Jeff Hardy for tripping him in the hall five minutes earlier.

On this week's episode of Fox Sports' Out of Character with Ryan Satin podcast, Samoa Joe detailed his return to NXT and his new role with the brand.

Joe was released by WWE during a round of roster cuts this April but made his return to the company earlier this month. He's now working as an enforcer-like authority figure in NXT. When asked by Satin what his first thoughts were when he was released, Joe spoke about being informed of his release by John Laurinaitis and then getting a call from Paul "Triple H" Levesque just hours later:

It was weird. Johnny called me and I thought it was a rare call from Johnny. 'Hey, what's up Johnny, how you doing?’ He told me, ‘Hey, listen, we’re going to have to release you from your contract.' I was just like, ‘Okay, cool.' 'Joe, you know we think the world of you and we’d love to work with you again.' And I was like, ‘Alright, absolutely Johnny.'

And honestly, I did have a bit of understanding. Obviously at the time, dealing with injuries, coming back, getting ready to get my rehabilitation going and all that stuff. We’re in a pandemic. All this other stuff. So, I got it. It wasn’t unexpected, but at the same time I was relatively calm about it. I’ve kind of been in this situation before. A younger me probably would have been really, really freaked out. But, I mean at this point you just roll/pivot. That’s really all there is to it when it comes to life in general. That's kind of the mantra I've kept. At that point I think I was already kind of in the works and setting up the next framework for whatever else I was going to do. A few hours later I get a call from Hunter and it pretty much all kind of changed.

I had sent some company farewell texts, just to people to say, 'Hey, look, pleasure working with you.' Some genuine people that I really, really enjoyed working with. Just some general like, 'Hey, thanks and I'm sure we'll talk down the road at some point' or something like that. I got a text back, ‘Hey, give me a minute, I'm getting out of a meeting.' We had a brief conversation which was essentially like, ‘Give us a little bit of time. I’ll work out a package and we’ll be talking soon.' I said, ‘Alright, that’s totally fine. I have no problem with that.' It led to my return back to NXT.

Joe said that, in addition to his on-screen role in NXT, he's working in the talent scouting department and doing a few more administrative things here and there behind the scenes. Joe said it's a very nice understanding that he and Levesque have come to and he's very excited about it.

Prior to being released in April, Joe had been working as a color commentator on Raw. He hasn't wrestled since February 2020 due to concussion issues. When asked by Satin if he's still working toward a return to the ring, Joe said: "Absolutely. We'll just say yes. We'll leave it at that."

Joe named Karrion Kross, Pete Dunne, WALTER, Adam Cole, Roderick Strong, Kyle O'Reilly, and Bronson Reed as opponents he'd like to face if he could wrestle in NXT. 

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Along those lines, I was wondering how bad, in kayfabe, the gm's or whoever books tv each night must be at their job.  It seems like every episode, we get impromptu matches because someone interrupts a promo and wants a match right now, or storms the ring and refuses to leave until he gets a match with the champion, or wrestles a tag match only to have it turn into a tag match after his bodyguard interferes.  I mean, if none of these impromptu matches took place, you'd have an hour-long show.

during the Attitude era, was there EVER a main event match announced? it seemed like every week, the opening promo led to a challenge for "RIGHT HERE TONIGHT" and the match was made. Like, if that segment never happened, what was the planned way to close out the show?  I liked to imagine that Crash Holly or someone was in the back like "alright, tonight's my night. main event" when Vince came back "sorry kid, we had to bump you. We're going with Rock vs HHH instead because i just found out they're upset at each other".

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I don't know where else to post this but I've been thinking about collecting Observers, specifically older ones that aren't digital. Does anyone here do that and do you feel it's worth it, in terms of finding shit out for research, etc.? I know sometimes on Reddit they summarize old issues and I'm wondering if those are enough or if there's more cool stuff in them. 

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

I guess the kayfabe excuse would be that they have a lot of unannounced matches that never take place because they're bumped so AJ Styles can get revenge on Jeff Hardy for tripping him in the hall five minutes earlier.

That’s why I love Memphis’ tv format so much. They always made a point of noting what was getting bumped or what was supposed to be on the show even if I didn’t happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Joe named Karrion Kross, Pete Dunne, WALTER, Adam Cole, Roderick Strong, Kyle O'Reilly, and Bronson Reed as opponents he'd like to face if he could wrestle in NXT. 

And now I'm going to be disappointed if this doesn't happen. 

Interesting how fast Joe came back. Wonder if HHH wanted him back in NXT even before the release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

That’s why I love Memphis’ tv format so much. They always made a point of noting what was getting bumped or what was supposed to be on the show even if I didn’t happen. 

Watts also had “standby matches” in case a main events ended early and sometimes did just that, to show it could happen. Just like he was the first person I saw actually end a match in the commercial break. 

• Like 2

It's an easy way to build unpredictably into your show without going overboard with swerves or fake worked shoots too.

WWE even did the opposite with the hbk cena rematch on raw. That went long so that the advertised main event didn't have to happen ( i wanna say someone got suspended and they announced it Tues)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

during the Attitude era, was there EVER a main event match announced? it seemed like every week, the opening promo led to a challenge for "RIGHT HERE TONIGHT" and the match was made. Like, if that segment never happened, what was the planned way to close out the show?  I liked to imagine that Crash Holly or someone was in the back like "alright, tonight's my night. main event" when Vince came back "sorry kid, we had to bump you. We're going with Rock vs HHH instead because i just found out they're upset at each other".

Thank you for this post. Reminds me of shirts that just happen to be ready when a wrestler unexpectedly debuts. Funny how that works.

• Like 1

The last events from the Thunderdome are officially set

SDL on July 9 and RAW on July 12,

That Raw will be taped the previous week before they leave the building

Also - and this might be related to what DZ was saying

per Fightful, Vince is visiting the PC on (mostly likely) Thursday to scout the talent as they are looking to "replenish" the main roster

Karrion Kross, Scarlet. Bronson Reed and Shotzi Blackheart are pretty much certain to be people called up as they will continue getting tryouts at tonight's RAW (either in dark matches or to appear on Main Event again)

I missed signature bump chat, but my favorite ones that didn't get mentioned:

Bobby Roode charging at an opponent on the apron. The opponent would shoulder him in the midsection, and Bobby would fly back to the center of the ring face first. I never cared much for Roode, but I'd always look forward to that spot in his matches.

Foley's ring step bump where he'd go in knees first and flip over.

Mr. Perfect taking turning a standard "eat the turnbuckle" spot into a corkscrew senton. I think Shawn did this occasionally as well.

The Rock taking a stunner, but also Scott Hall taking a stunner.

• Like 3