DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Michaels also did a pretty great over the top turnbuckle bump that he kind of stopped doing when he went fulltime face. 

How have we not brought up the Jerry Estrada bump? It was one of those things that got talked up in early DVDVRs and reading about it made me want to see it!

James

I remember Chris Masters crazy flat back bump from the apron to the floor during his great 2010-2011 Superstars run. I don't know whats crazier to me: the fact that he took that bump regularly or the fact he was doing it on Superstars that no one but 10 people from the board were watching at the time

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Michaels also did a pretty great over the top turnbuckle bump that he kind of stopped doing when he went fulltime face. 

How have we not brought up the Jerry Estrada bump? It was one of those things that got talked up in early DVDVRs and reading about it made me want to see it!

James

Oh, it came up back at the start of the conversation.  This is still the DVDVR after all.

I remember Val Venis taking a pretty good headstand bump off a DDT but I'm not sure if it was a regular enough thing to count.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

The Ted DiBiase back bump, where he'd do a semi-head stand while rolling backwards. Which, I'm sure didn't help him in the long run.

Not sure if a bump per se, but I always remembered how Ted would go parallel to the mat when giving a dropping fist to a prone opponent, didn't help the shoulder much either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DangerMark said:

It looks cool, but having seen enough other people doing the flip out of the Lariat, it seems to take the sting out of the move a bit, compared to just getting smacked; like it's shifting the emphasis from the person doing the move to the victim. Give me a smack that's going to send someone to the floor regardless of whether the victim is stepping through it or not.

I just imagined if everyone sold Hansen's lariat with a picture perfect Greg Louganis-esque flip + front bump. Barf. Wrestling needs to bury that spot deep into the coldest earth.

• Like 1

Continuing to mention great Stooging with the great bumping... I think Stan Hansen was damn stooging the dtiff as hell All Japan offense when he wanted play that card. His wobbly legged stagger is a thing of beauty because stagger a bit selling offense and then could suddent WHAM! hit anything from a punch to a goddam mlariat out of nowhere!

James

Nick Bokwinkle had a pretty great corner bump off an irish whip reversal as I recall. He'd get himself all tanglked up in the corner and it seemed he'd go cross-eyed for the ssell. Man, I love Bokwinkle!

James

For another modern guy with a cool signature bump, I will submit Trent? taking a gordbuster across the top rope and springing off into a perfect flatback bump. It’s a thing of beauty every time.

He also does HBK’s corner bump all the time, though that’s really more of an homage than his own thing.

• Like 1

A few of the World of Sport guys would take the corner chest-first, but not always in the Bret way. Because of the boxing-style long turnbuckle pad some of them would jump their legs through the ropes and sell like they crotched themselves.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Oh, it came up back at the start of the conversation.  This is still the DVDVR after all.

I remember Val Venis taking a pretty good headstand bump off a DDT but I'm not sure if it was a regular enough thing to count.

I seem to recall a magnificent one against D'Lo Brown, which would have been at SummerSlam'98, but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, it was always totally insane and totally beautiful!

Oh,oh,oh when Davey Boy bounced upside down in the corner and bounced back down RIGHT on his fucking head, as witnessed in that late '99 PPV match against The Rock! He used to do that fairly regularly, but just hitting the corner upside down, not landing on his head. He had no business taking bumps like that at that stage. But hey, he turned out fi... wait no, definitely not a good idea.

Edited by Shartnado
Bulldog bump talk

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

The Ted DiBiase back bump, where he'd do a semi-head stand while rolling backwards.

That very same DiBiase bump for Savage’s great “jump over the top rope neck-snap” was the best:

PartialFreeIberianemeraldlizard-size_res

• Like 9

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I have no shame in being highly amused by Shawn being Shawn in that match.  All we need are wacky sound effects and we're set.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did anybody ever put the Benny Hill theme to it? I saw a couple TNA ones with that that are pretty good, Flair falling into the hole in the ring and stuff. 

One of my all time favourite videos. Fuck Hogan. Enjoy!

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did anybody ever put the Benny Hill theme to it? I saw a couple TNA ones with that that are pretty good, Flair falling into the hole in the ring and stuff. 

Here's the TNA one:

Oh, TNA.

• Like 1