DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Didn't Bret break his sternum on one of those chest first bumps into the corner?

It was a chest bump off the guardrail from the apron, via Dino Bravo. That's why he had him excellently executed years later.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

It was a chest bump off the guardrail from the apron, via Dino Bravo. That's why he had him excellently executed years later.

I always thought that Hart laying on the floor waiting to be counted out with the broken sternum/ribs while the crowd boos him, only for Bravo to come over and Hart think "Oh good, he's coming to help me" before he proceeds to put the boots to him further while he's legitimately injured to be one of the darker but funnier moments I've read in a wrestling book. It's something that could only really happen in pro wrestling.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, caley said:

I always thought that Hart laying on the floor waiting to be counted out with the broken sternum/ribs while the crowd boos him, only for Bravo to come over and Hart think "Oh good, he's coming to help me" before he proceeds to put the boots to him further while he's legitimately injured to be one of the darker but funnier moments I've read in a wrestling book. It's something that could only really happen in pro wrestling.

it really fits the tone for Bret's entire book

• Like 3

I think my favorite bump was how Rick Rude would take a back body drop.

EDIT: Aw damn, I missed this comment in my scrolling. I'd say it counts, but I also thought he took a ridiculous back body drop too.

34 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Does Rick Rude selling Atomic Drops count?

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Did Vader ever wear the jockstrap mask with his red lightning tights, or was it only later with the red stripe & Vader Time tights?

From what I remember he only wore his full mask with the red lightning tights, and when he redebuted in late 91 WCW he wore the black w/red stripe tights and the jockstrap mask.

Dustin Rhodes' missed Cross body.

Brian Pillman's apron to guard rail throat bump.

Cactus Jack's Hangman spot. And the Barbed Wire Atomic Drop.

• Like 2

Going back to a discussion from earlier pages, I'd say what got me into wrestling was a wwf Saturday morning episode. Jake did his short arm clothesline to set up the DDT and I was HOOKED!!! Legit thought he'd just killed a dude in the ring

First wrestling figures were those "bendable" ones that didn't have that much give to them. George the Animal Steele and Jesse Ventura with a baby blue rag and pink tights were my first two. They weren't all that mobile so thr ones I actually count as my first figs were the Hulkster with the body slamming motion and Brutus Beefcake (if my pick of wrestlers is questionable just know I bought whatever I could find. Very slim pickings for me back then hahahaha)

Wrestlers i was a fan of? Hogan, Macho and KVE/HBK (for being Texas boys). 

Terrifying moments - Going to the freeman coliseum as a kid and being there live for the undertakers entrance ? I was convinced the devil had just entered the building and I fucking prayed my young ass off that Hogan would beat him and send him back to hell. 

On TV, seeing Earthquake batter Ultimate Warrior in some posedown against Dino Bravo was scary, and also was scared when Warrior oozed the black goo or whatever during the Papa Shango feud. Ran to shut off my TV but Shango popped up for a second and I was legit terrified he might curse me next if I shut the TV off.

I was such a gullible kid lmfao (if you read the 80s cartoon thread I give other examples of this as a young Busanetico ?)

For all time great bumps: D-von Dudley flopping around like a fish selling finishers and weapon shots. Or he'd just lay there with his limbs going wild like he was electrocuted to sell the finisher. That would probably be my vote

Edited by Hayabusa

On 6/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, Zimbra said:

I love the way the Hasbro figures looked, but I will never understand why it took so long for someone to get the idea to make wrestling figures that had actual articulation.  My GI Joes spent way more time in the ring than any of my WWF or WCW guys did.

E: This dude was a multi-time action figure wrestling champion, even if he was a bit of a Johnny Kickpads:

s-l300.jpg

Had that same dude and he was also a mega star in my figure federation. Even managed to put down Apocalypse and Bane.

My intro to wrestling was being home alone not long before Wrestlemania 14 and flipping through the channels and seeing The Giant on an episode of Saturday Night. Right away, I was hooked. I talked to a kid at school who liked wrestling and, testing the waters, watched Livewire, Worldwide and Saturday Night the next week. Eventually, I taped RAW and would borrow a friend's Nitro tape. Austin was my favorite from that first week on. La Parka came next. After a month of talking about wrestling non-stop, my grandma got me a tape she found at Goodwill or something. The "High Flyers" Colliseum tape. I watched that thing daily and, oddly enough, was obsessed with the Jumping Bomb Angels. I still love their series with the Glamour Girls. Weirdly, I'm just now getting into joshi.

Not really a bump but Terry Funk stooging for babyface offense is what pro-wrestling is all about to me. If you can't dig on that why do you even watch pro-wrestling? (A close second is Arn Anderson, his stooging isn't as over the top as The Funker's but it is still a glory to behold)

James

• Like 3

I really liked Funk’s selling of neck moves where he’d put an arm in the air while laying on his stomach and kind of doing the Curley shuffle.