DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

21 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Are we sure Shane outwrestling Kurt was his idea and not Kurt or someone else?

Yeah, I don’t remember around this period, but as his his career went on getting out-wrestled by a less experienced opponent was a pretty standard Angle opening sequence.

I was reading Bret Hart's biography again and he talked about how his back was sore one night, so instead of taking a bump into the turnbuckles back-first, he slammed into it sternum-first and it became his signature bump and he said no one took a chest-first bump into the turnbuckles like him and my question is, does anyone else take the Irish whip into the turnbuckle chest-first? Or is Bret the only one?

I've seen some do it over the years but it was more of a tribute to Bret than them using that on a regular basis.  I honestly find the chest-first option to be a bit more realistic to my liking but I'm not going to go down the "anti-Irish whip" route as tempting as it might be sometimes.

47 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Ah, the objectivity of the left...matched only by its self-awareness and tolerance for dissenting viewpoints...

I’m not about getting into internet arguments and I’m not trying to be a dick but your original post was full of what are basically ‘contrarian’ cliches at this point.

You did a variation on the ‘what next? Kids are gonna be identifying as *inanimate object*’ joke that has been going around for about a decade. 

Maybe a dissenting opinion isn't because they’re a homogeneous member of ‘the left’ but because, you know, the joke wasn’t very funny. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, caley said:

I was reading Bret Hart's biography again and he talked about how his back was sore one night, so instead of taking a bump into the turnbuckles back-first, he slammed into it sternum-first and it became his signature bump and he said no one took a chest-first bump into the turnbuckles like him and my question is, does anyone else take the Irish whip into the turnbuckle chest-first? Or is Bret the only one?

I kind of remember some guys back in the day hitting the turnbuckle chest first, but close into the turnbuckle after a reversal. Heel goes to whip face from one corner to the other, face reverses it back to the original turnbuckle and the heel hits it chest first.

56 minutes ago, caley said:

I was reading Bret Hart's biography again and he talked about how his back was sore one night...

After the previous talk of Bret's predilection for, uh, extramarital activities on the road, I really thought this post was going somewhere else.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man, I know those days are long over, but it would've been fun to read you guys doing a "signature bump" tourney (FWIW, in my head, I've got a Bret's sternum bump vs. Flair's flip into the corner/eat it on the apron pencilled in for the finals)

Flair could probably fill up a few spaces himself, I’d have the flop up there, plus he’s got the throw off the top.

Rikishi’s inside out clothesline bump is a good one, that felt like a pretty crazy bump for a guy of his size. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Did Vader ever wear the jockstrap mask with his red lightning tights, or was it only later with the red stripe & Vader Time tights?

So this is interesting - I have no memory of that happening on TV, but I'm near certain they made a toy with that gear within the last five years or so

Knowing the DVDVR constituency the Jerry Bump would probably make a strong showing

The Hamrick through-the-ropes bump and the Psicosis bump would be up there, too.

• Like 3

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

So this is interesting - I have no memory of that happening on TV, but I'm near certain they made a toy with that gear within the last five years or so

Yep, I asked because the new WWE Vader figure gives you the option, but I'd never seen it in real life.