DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

I should add that young me was a Bad News Brown stan and loved the Ghetto Blaster as a finish (and still do). I still bust out "beer-bellied sharecroppers" as a joke insult. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

Fun question while I make Hamburger Helper: Who were your favorite wrestlers as a kid? The people that got you all into wrestling.

Ultimate Warrior, Blue Blazer and Mr. Perfect. Warrior was the champ as I first started tuning in and I loved the sprinting, the bouncing off the ropes and the drawing power from the fans schtick. Plus he was taking on evil Iraqui Sgt. Slaughter at the time. I went back and rented previous WM VHS tapes and loved Blue Blazer so much because he did stuff I'd never seen before. Perfect just seemed like such an amazing guy and I know I wasn't supposed to like him but he always looked so much better than all the guys he was facing. He was my first heel I liked.

• Like 1

British Bulldog, Crush and Max Moon were my absolute favourites early on. Plus a very brief Ultimate Warrior phase. The first wrestling show I ever saw though was Rumble 91, and the main reason I came back for more was that the Undertaker was so green and scary, and Earthquake and Tugboat were so fat.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 3

My earliest wrestling memories is loving Ken Shamrock. I would run off the diving board pretending to be him. Whatever that means, I did it. I also loved Mankind and the Rock. The Rock was basically Jim Carey with how crazy his eyebrows were and Mic Foley wore a sock on his hands. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Octopus said:

Fun question while I make Hamburger Helper: Who were your favorite wrestlers as a kid? The people that got you all into wrestling.

Didn't really get into wrestling until I was entering my teens catching Raw in 98/99. Before then I liked Hogan, Slaughter, and Ventura from movies and tv. I knew they were wrestlers but can't really recall watching much, if any actual wrestling of theirs back then. The only wrestling I recall catching before the Attitude era was Alundra Blayze who I thought looked hot and had a cool name. The wrestlers that got me to stick around during the Attitude era are the obvious ones like Austin, Taker, Kane, Mankind, & the Rock. On the lower side I dug Shamrock, Bossman, the Acolytes, and Blackman.

11 hours ago, Octopus said:

Earliest I have seen actual wrestling was late '87. At the time, Sky channel showed '86 Superstars reruns on Monday, '87 reruns on Thursday and current '88 episodes on Saturday. The British Bulldogs and The Ultimate Warrior were my biggest favorites early on. Just like Benoit few years later, I sure knew how to pick 'em, eh? Didn't age particularly well, but those were my guys in the beginning.

5 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I should add that young me was a Bad News Brown stan and loved the Ghetto Blaster as a finish (and still do). I still bust out "beer-bellied sharecroppers" as a joke insult. 

I remember him being over as a face to me after doing a promo for an MSG title bout vs Randy Savage where he said he was going to win the title in his hometown of NYC and then march down 125th street with it. It was so weird because he was clearly a heel and it was a 100% babyface promo.

Stone Cold was my favorite wrestler when I was 9 years old. In 1998. ?

But from the ages of like, 10 to probably 14, it seemed like every year I had a different "favorite" wrestler. Mainly because the companies I'd watch would either shut down (ECW), was getting difficult to get tapes of in my town (XPW), or I didn't have a way to see more of them because I was a pre-teen/teen with limited (monitored) internet access and no money of my own (CZW/Big Japan/puroresu in general). My grandpa would take me to On Cue (remember that?) and buy me ECW, FMW and XPW tapes. After a while I had all that they had to offer, so I discovered Highspots and their comp VHS tapes, and again, I'd get my grandparents to order them for me.

So it basically went: Steve Austin > RVD & Mike Awesome > Damien Steele > Jun Kasai > Keiji Mutoh.

My list stops at Mutoh because around 2004/2005, my memory gets hazy and I don't remember much. I know I liked Benoit a lot, but from after his 'Mania win to when he eventually did what he did in 2007... I don't remember watching much of anything outside of WWE, but I couldn't even tell you what happened in those years (and for good reason - it was horrible). Then from like 2007-2012 I just basically didn't watch that much, if at all. I remember being more excited for Kimbo Slice on The Ultimate Fighter more than anything else that happened in wrestling during those years.

• Like 3

I got hooked into wrestling during the Attitude Era so guys like Rock and Foley were living gods to me.

My local Blockbuster had a "7 tapes. 7 nights. $7" deal so I would go there after school on Friday and rent all the old WWF/WCW ppvs and try to piece the timeline together from that.

Bret Hart & Razor Ramon were my faves, until I found Goldberg & Surfer Sting.

Even being a "WWF" kid, those two guys were my secret faves.

My dad said Regal was the best since Mario Milano, mum loved Austin, her brother was a huge fan of Deadman Taker, my friends all loved Edge + Christian & the Hardy Boyz...

Any time I put a tape on, someone in the house would jump in for a couple of matches and we'd pick sides to cheer for/against.

I wish I could get my kids into it but they fall in and out of it so fast. Usually I can get their attention for the Rumble and Mania. They've also watched the last 3 Wrestle Kingdoms with me, even though they have no idea who these guys are or why they are fighting.

Everything else is a pretty hard pass though. They just aren't invested in the characters/stories these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

My earliest wrestling memories is loving Ken Shamrock. I would run off the diving board pretending to be him. Whatever that means, I did it. I also loved Mankind and the Rock. The Rock was basically Jim Carey with how crazy his eyebrows were and Mic Foley wore a sock on his hands. 

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

(Splash)

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Dog said:

So Vince is about to offer Dave Sullivan a big money contract?

Yep.  Vince is also high on that "Denzil Washer'ton" guy.  If he plays his cards right, he could probably get Vince to cast him opposite Kane in See No Evil 3.

15 hours ago, Octopus said:

Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Flyin Brian, and originally based solely on how cool he looked Jyushin Thunder Liger ?

• Like 5

I started watching during the Hogan era, so I'd say Hulk, Tito, Savage were my first favorites, as well as the Road Warriors, R&R Express and Magnum TA.

• Like 3

Von Erichs, Chris Adams, Vader when a bit older,  Lightning Kid,  Muta, Midnights,. Eric Embry of all people (who I got to meet a couple years ago- really nice guy )

Lot of Texas folks for someone who grew up in Mid-Atlantic Land.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 6:00 PM, Ace said:

Dori Prange, the former Ruby Riott/Heidi Lovelace was just gifted the name of Ruby Soho by Rancid's Lars Frederiksen.

Sorry Jericho, Sorry Jungleboy but that is a sing-a-long entrance!

• Like 3

I miss hamburger helper.

Anyway there are limits on WWE crowds for upcoming live shows,  hard camera wise, Covid and other reasons etc. But with Raw's strong decline in ratings.. that also effects the Raw Brand side of attendances. The point of the supershows houseshows is to use Smackdown's star power and roster to boost Raw's decline in brand power.

19 hours ago, Octopus said:

Jerry Blackwell, "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan and then a couple of years later the Road Warriors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Von Erichs, Chris Adams, Vader when a bit older,  Lightning Kid,  Muta, Midnights,. Eric Embry of all people (who I got to meet a couple years ago- really nice guy )

Lot of Texas folks for someone who grew up in Mid-Atlantic Land.

I should have mentioned Chris and Gino and the Gang in my original list.

I named our cat warrior at the time so that should tell you. It was around wrestlemania 4 I think when I really got into it. I remember asking my friends about nwa and I think I watched it when I saw it on tv, but I was definitely a wwf kid. I read the apter mags so I was fully aware of the world outside wwf though. I remember going to a house show in Portland Maine, must’ve been in 88. I also used to clip out the newspaper ads for house shows because they were like mini wrestling posters. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Octopus said:

Mr. Olympia

• Like 2