DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

27 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I mean... It's Randy Savage, dude was a Gary Hart in Texas level  sweater even during squash matches.

James

No, thing is it's clearly Frankenstein'd together because in certain shots, he would be bone dry. Then, they come back, frazzled hair and disheveled gear like he's been wrestling for 15 minutes already.

Also, the crowd gives away. They're up for certain spots in the match. Then when they pan back, they're sitting on their hands like they just seen this match. It's outright bizarre how they edited it.

Then when Razor comes out to interfere, the crowd has ZERO reaction to him. That part was clearly from the redo.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, thing is it's clearly Frankenstein'd together because in certain shots, he would be bone dry. Then, they come back, frazzled hair and disheveled gear like he's been wrestling for 15 minutes already.

Also, the crowd gives away. They're up for certain spots in the match. Then when they pan back, they're sitting on their hands like they just seen this match. It's outright bizarre how they edited it.

Then when Razor comes out to interfere, the crowd has ZERO reaction to him. That part was clearly from the redo.

Oh I get you... still watching a ton of Savage squashes, dude does all out against every JTTS he comes across and is beat red most of the time by the ned. Dude always went hard in WWF run, it was crazy

James

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, I said this EXACT same thing some months back. Your memory is correct.

And the crowd is absolutely dead. The version I saw on Dailymotion, I think it's pieced together from the first attempt and the second attempt. The entrances and the early part of the match seem to be the first one that Vince didn't like. However, at some point, Randy appears to look like he just did a 60 minute broadway cause he's sweating profusely and his hair is messed up. 

Was it because of it being a TV taping, I wasn't a fan yet but growing up WrestleMania 8 was the only wrestling tape I saw because my older brother got it from my neighbor  and we watched several times and I didn't become a diehard fan until late 95 but looking back, that post Summerslam 92 to like Survivor Series seems like such a weird time. I know Vince was basically completely soured on Flair by the time Summerslam happened. I understand he was a big part of the Warrior vs Savage fued but it's still weird that he wasn't actually wrestling. Even with Flair winning the title, I'm sure he pretty much felt he was on his way out. Winning the title on Superstars was probably a let down. Same with Brets first title  win. Flair has been very open about him being very insecure about certain things wrestling wise so I'm sure that played a part to in that match. Too me , I feel like especially with Bulldog and Warrior gone that Vince would maybe appreciate Flair more just for the fact of losing those guys. What bad luck Bulldog had because looking back now, that time period would've been perfect to put the title on him moreso than any other time when Vince promised him a  title program or the title itself. With business doing so bad in the states, Vince would've loved to have him be the British version of Whst they wanted out of Lex a year later. It would've been dope to.see Bulldog and Flair on Flairs way out

• Like 2

I always thought that Flair's first WWF run was mediocre-to-very-occasionally bad. That Savage/Flair switch is pretty bad, and I thought the Bret/Flair Ironman was also pretty bad. Bret and Owen had a really good one two years later, so I don't blame Bret for that. Other than RR '92, does that first run have a great match from Flair? Flair/Savage at WM VIII is good, not great IMO. I didn't think Flair/Perfect was much to speak about either. 

Flair's second run had the Foley "I Quit" match and the Undertaker match at WM that immediately put it in front of his first run for me, and he was well past his prime at that point. 1991-1993 Ric Flair didn't really deliver very often for whatever reason. 

12 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I always thought that Flair's first WWF run was mediocre-to-very-occasionally bad. That Savage/Flair switch is pretty bad, and I thought the Bret/Flair Ironman was also pretty bad. Bret and Owen had a really good one two years later, so I don't blame Bret for that. Other than RR '92, does that first run have a great match from Flair? Flair/Savage at WM VIII is good, not great IMO. I didn't think Flair/Perfect was much to speak about either. 

Flair's second run had the Foley "I Quit" match and the Undertaker match at WM that immediately put it in front of his first run for me, and he was well past his prime at that point. 1991-1993 Ric Flair didn't really deliver very often for whatever reason. 

He has a match with Shawn that was on a Coliseum home video release that pretty much solidified Shawn needed to be a singles. He has a good match with El Matador that was on the Summerslam Spectacular USA special in 1992.

It's hard to judge Flair given that WWF was so syndicated TV based, and it's nothing but squash matches and dark matches that never made air (or some random Coliseum video released several months later). Even in the worst business time for WCW in the Herd era prior to him leaving, Flair would be at least allowed to go out there and have a good to really good 10 minute TV match with Brad Armstrong or Bobby Eaton. 

Besides the Rumble in 92 and the loser leaves town match, the best thing Flair did in that run was the angle on Superstars (9/28/1991) with Savage and Piper. That shit was perfectly executed, and this was YEARS before Vince was actually physically involved in anything. If you just saw that at the time, you would think there is no way Flair fails to succeed (a fairly absent) Hogan as the top guy in WWF. Problem is all the guys he could have money feuds and great matches with are either gone, a shell of their former self due to drug problems (KVE, who was pretty much a non factor by the time his old nemesis got there), and/or being transitioned to commentary and part timer. Shit, Steamboat as The Dragon was there for like what? Three months? 

As much as Flair deserved his run in WWF, the WCW roster upon his departure was perhaps better than what he got to go against in WWF at the time. It felt like the reason why WCW failed to launched during the Watts era (besides Watts believing it was still 1983) is it was missing Ric Flair to go long with having Austin, Windham, Sting, Vader, Steamboat, a relatively still fresh Shane Douglas, Pillman, a more polished Steiners (specifically Scott more than Rick who already showed himself to be serviceable), Rick Rude, Dustin Rhodes, Ron Simmons, and Cactus Jack. Hey, maybe those guys don't try to grab the brass ring if Flair is there. However, that relationship was very much mutual. He could do more there than with a very depleted WWF roster and a lot of behind the scenes turmoil (even more than WCW, which is crazy given they had a new booker, structural hierarchy, Sr. VP, and new direction every six to nine months). It's hard to blame Flair for that run when WWF didn't have the pieces for it to work. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Meltzer said this suit is very similar to the same suit the WWE settled over last year for $39 million (different investor this time)

Basically the Judge will have to decide if it is different enough to proceed with or if the matter is already settled.

But if it goes through - assume the WWE will settle again because there is stuff the WWE doesn't want getting out about the deal

There's a great article on The Athletic (paid, but maybe they give you an article or two for free first) about Omos, who I knew nothing about before I read this. I've seen his name and know he's a big man, but that's it. 

After reading this, I'm rooting for him. He seems like a good dude. 

I guess it's okay to give a snippet of how he made it to the WWE post-basketball career: 

Over lunch one day, a friend’s suggestion brought Omogbehin back to college, to a conversation not long before he transferred schools for the first time. A football player named Antoine Pozniak told Omogbehin about a meeting he had scheduled for the next day. He was connecting with Steve Kern, a local wrestling promoter, and he suggested Omogbehin come along. Never one to turn down a free meal, Omogbehin happily agreed. Kern’s reaction to the mass of humanity at the table mirrored that of the Giants of Africa officials when 13-year-old Jordan Omogbehin appeared before them. “If you come do wrestling,” Kern told him, “you’re going to be so fulfilled, and you’re going to be a millionaire in four years.” Kern even connected Omogbehin with Canyon Ceman, the director of talent development for the WWE, but the idea nevertheless came and went. Omogbehin was dead set on finding satisfaction and happiness in the only places he’d ever known to look.

Now, years later, Omogbehin’s friend was asking about that day. Why not reach out to Ceman? Why not see if that path was still available? His friend’s reasoning was fairly iron-clad: It can’t get any worse than where you are right now.

Omogbehin searched through his email inbox. He sent Ceman another message, saying he’d like to give pro wrestling a crack, if there was still a chance pro wrestling was interested in him.

A week passed without a reply. Omogbehin and his girlfriend were dog-sitting for a friend on a Sunday night when an email landed. Ceman asked if Omogbehn was busy. He was not. So Ceman called. He wondered what Omogbehin had on his schedule for Tuesday. The answer, of course, was absolutely nothing.

“Can you come to Orlando?” Ceman asked.

• Like 1

Because I am not dragging up the old thread but I am sure someone will bring it up... Chelsea Green was at the PC this week but probably not for the reason people assumed.

Chelsea Green was back at the Performance Center recently but that doesn’t mean she’s headed back to WWE. She had been training before being cut with Santana Garrett. She heard a pop in her left arm and the pain was such that she went to the emergency room. It wasn’t broken but she may have had scar tissue build up or a tendon issue. Because the injury took place while she was training in their gym, she can use the physical therapist and rehab facilities. Maybe that’s why she was cut, because once you get the tag of being hurt a lot it can be death for you. Unless you’re someone who they see as a top guy and then they view being hurt a lot very differently. She said she’ll be in there for the next few weeks still

Maybe the WWE's hot shot random booking is catching up to them.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/usa-network-is-very-unhappy-about-the-hell-in-a-cell-match-announced-for-smackdown-on-fox/

Zarian said, “I can tell you for a fact that USA Network is very unhappy that the Hell in a Cell match is happening on SmackDown. I’m not gonna say they are fuming but they are very unhappy about it.”

There has been pressure from all sides to get WWE to do more themed shows to get the ratings up because they’ve taken a hit due to the pandemic. As noted on Thursday, there are plans to revive the King of the Ring tournament and Raw Roulette is likely happening later this year.  The WWE Drat is also penciled in for August and fans are being welcomed back in July so, in theory, ratings for both shows should start to go up soon.

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get it. Wouldn't Hell in a Cell pop the ratings? What should they care if it's airing in that case, just that it's a one-time deal? 

I assume they want it to happen on Raw so it pops USA's rating instead.

• Like 1

Plus Raw honestly needs it a lot more as well. Smackdown has been the highest rated show in WWE since Roman came back with is current character. If Cena and/or Rock come back like the rumors have been saying its also absolutely going to be on Smackdown to face Roman. Its dumb to move a match so big to regular tv in general, but even moreso to the show that doesn't need it.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Crap I wasn't even thinking "because it's not on USA Network, dumbass". That's a perfectly reasonable argument from their POV. 

EDIT: I wonder what are the odds we get a big gimmick match next week on Raw... or maybe Vince just says "you want KOTR or the Draft, fine" and starts it. Because you know, no need for a buildup or anything like that, our social media will let the Universe know.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I would assume USA is pissed because not only are they doing it on Fox, but they did it with little to no warning. The WWE thinks "oh well we threw it up on twitter...that's enough promoting". 

A match like this (which I hope isn't the end of the feud) deserves at least a month in the world of the WWE.