DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Just now, Peck said:

I'd imagine the new eyeballs on the product really don't give a shit about Effy's workrate.

Good god that's a fucking softball right down the heart of the plate and I'm NOT gonna swing...

• Haha 1

Was Ian the Rotten who did a tape trading or selling business in the mid-90s? I'm not exactly sure the specifics of this story but a 13 year old me was internetting back in the day - I think I must have been in like a chat room or something - and he was stunned that I had never seen ECW before. Said he'd send me a tape, he did, and I wore that shit out and passed it around all over my middle school. It was just a best-of style dub, with the cane Dewey angle, lots of 2-Cold/Sandman, Rey/Psicosis, a bunch of other stuff.

Also, 13 year old me happily handed over my home address to someone on the internet ( who may or may not have been Ian or Axl Rotten).

Edit : Just to say that I could be misremembering this whole story and it was just some random person who sent me the tape. For whatever reason, I remember it being one of the Rottens though.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Setsuna said:

Was Ian the Rotten who did a tape trading or selling business in the mid-90s?

No idea about ECW, but Ian did do "tape trading" back in the day.  

I probably only remember that because Ian bootlegged his own shows.  No, that's not a misprint.  Ian sold bootleg copies of IWA-MS shows (Smart Mark Video had the rights to IWA-MS footage).

I don't recall hearing of Axl selling footage or anything like that, so I'd guess it was Ian.  Just a guess though.

I personally got a kick out of Drake pulling the "back in my day" schtick and then listing a bunch of names that, aside from Bull Pain (who legit dated back to the previous generation) and MAYBE Eddie Kingston, would not have been welcome in the wrestling business 20 years prior to that or would not have risen above TV job/outlaw duty. 

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Like 1

Holy fuck last night’s episode of that A&E Hidden Treasures show or whatever is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

AJ Francis and Mark Henry getting upset about Sonny Ono putting the Giant Machine mask up for action, with Francis saying he has no right to do it because he had no connection to Andre. Get the fuck outta here, this entire show is literally them “buying” pieces from fans for their non-existent Hall of Fame. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I personally got a kick out of Drake pulling the "back in my day" schtick and then listing a bunch of names that, aside from Bull Pain (who legit dated back to the previous generation) and MAYBE Eddie Kingston, would not have been welcome in the wrestling business 20 years prior to that or would not have risen above TV job/outlaw duty. 

I mean Drake mentioning Kingston about wrestling being too woke when Kingston has BLM IN HIS TWITTER NAME is hilarious.  It is like Drake stepped out of a cave from 10 years ago and can't believe seeing all these people have changed/grown up.

• Like 3

QAnon/Trump/Russian social media propaganda's worse crime:

Inspiring an insurrection OR turning awesome, positive dude Drake Younger into a raging piece of shit

It's a tough call.

Seriously, though.  As a guy who cheered him on through his comeback and checked out podcasts and interviews because he was such a cool, positive guy, reading the truly ugly stuff he wrote is so sad.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Samoa Joe is back with WWE, he will work for the NXT brand only. Triple H wanted him back.

I would assume maybe that's the "change" Regal was talking about at the end of the PPV. I could see him coming in as a non-wrestler - commissioner, problem solver, announcer - then work the odd match when needed. That's probably best for his career and health at this point, though I selfishly wanted him in AEW (I haven't watched a single WWE show for most of this calendar year).