DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently Summerslam is the same day as a big Boxing match in Vegas. Which makes running on Saturday instead of Sunday even stranger.

Not really. It's so Vince can say they out drew them.

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

PWInsider is saying that WWE intends to have SummerSlam end early enough (lol) so fans can either go attend the fight live or watch it on PPV.

Canelo vs. Kovalev went the other way with this. They had like an hour plus delay so fans would be done watching Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Mavisdal. Matter of fact, they had the UFC PPV playing inside the MGM Grand (where Canelo vs. Kovalev was happening) so fans had something to do waiting for Canelo to come out. The people watching on DAZN just had to twiddle their thumbs and watch video package after video package and Canelo just sitting bored backstage. That night was amazing.

I had to look what fight Summerslam is going up against...I mean Spence vs. Pacquiao is going draw decent. I mean Spence has been a pretty good PPV draw for someone who has a ways to go from being a household name. However, I don't see it as a blockbuster PPV. I mean it could do 750k+ with the right marketing. The only thing that strikes me as peculiar is doing the show in Vegas the same night. I mean boxing would do this sometimes. Arum would do a show at Thomas & Mack back when he was good friends with Steve Wynn and have Wynn Las Vegas be the key sponsor of the along with Tecate or some other beer/spirits brand. The rival show would be at MGM or Mandalay. It would usually be a wash in terms of attention.

Pacquiao has fans that WILL travel even at this stage of his career. Spence has a solid following. All this is making it super inconvenient for fans trying to book a hotel for the weekend. In addition, even if it's not a huge marquee fight, that's what will be all over Vegas that week in terms of advertising and promotion and not Summerslam.

• Like 2

Word on the street is that the WWE will hold the draft on August 30 (RAW) and Sept 4 (SDL)

If true - means the usual awkward weird limbo week post a PPV before shaking up the roster

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Word on the street is that the WWE will hold the draft on August 30 (RAW) and Sept 4 (SDL)

I assume we're talking the mean streets of Greenwich?  

I don't know if I'd trust anything Joey Abs told you.  i mean, he has an honest face and all, but...

shane mcmahon

• Like 2

In case no one remembers the last time Johnny Ace was in charge and the edict was to hire big, model looking dudes, we had a whole bunch of fucking shit to slog through like. So get ready for that era again. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

In case no one remembers the last time Johnny Ace was in charge and the edict was to hire big, model looking dudes, we had a whole bunch of fucking shit to slog through like. So get ready for that era again. 

Not to mention that right now the main championship program on Raw right now is Drew McIntyre vs Bobby Lashley, both of which are two dudes that more than fit into that 6-3 and over ideal, and they aren't moving any needles one bit because the entire Raw product is colder than Antarctica, Year 1982. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

To be fair there were plenty of talented people who came in then and the training system itself was a different one.

What's the worst year for WWE before this one? I mean since WCW folded?

When did they split the Dudley Boyz? When did Kenzo Suzuki team with Rene Dupree? When did we have WWECW?

I'd take all of that over RAW right now and, given the in ring talent they have right now, that is fucking criminal from WWE Creative.

When WWE launched Smackdown way back when, they had a roster of about 90-100 total. That's men, women, tag teams, jobbers, midcarders and main eventers.

The roster now is up over 300 with only NXT and NXT:UK as genuine extra programming and we still see the same shit week after week.

We were all excited for Drew as champ. We were all excited for Lashley as champ. Both are very good in the ring but it's been driven into the ground to the point that a Hell in a Cell match between the two is actually feeling like a downer.

That's your WrestleMania title match and the main event feud on your #1 show.

How do you fuck it up that badly?

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

What's the worst year for WWE before this one? I mean since WCW folded?

When did they split the Dudley Boyz? When did Kenzo Suzuki team with Rene Dupree? When did we have WWECW?

I'd take all of that over RAW right now and, given the in ring talent they have right now, that is fucking criminal from WWE Creative.

When WWE launched Smackdown way back when, they had a roster of about 90-100 total. That's men, women, tag teams, jobbers, midcarders and main eventers.

The roster now is up over 300 with only NXT and NXT:UK as genuine extra programming and we still see the same shit week after week.

We were all excited for Drew as champ. We were all excited for Lashley as champ. Both are very good in the ring but it's been driven into the ground to the point that a Hell in a Cell match between the two is actually feeling like a downer.

That's your WrestleMania title match and the main event feud on your #1 show.

How do you fuck it up that badly?

Worst years since WCW/ECW folded in 2001? 2010 is up there for me. The Smackdown Six and Paul Heyman booking Smackdown saved 2002. 2003 was bad with Triple H's World Heavyweight Championship reign on RAW but thankfully we had Smackdown to counteract that.

Dudley Boyz split in 2002 through the first brand split.

Dupree/Suzuki, 2004-2005

WWE ECW, June 2006-February 2010.

The WWE roster is loaded but battling shit creek without a paddle and the whims of a senile man. My interest in WWE is at an all time low and judging by the lack of replies to WWE threads, I'm not alone. It's the quietest I've seen said topics and I've been here since September 2005.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Dcoa3ZzVMAA7bJN?format=jpg&name=medium

WWE summed up in a diagram.

No, that's outdated. It looks like this now:

I didn't watch <--> I heard it sucked.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

My interest in WWE is at an all time low and judging by the lack of replies to WWE threads, I'm not alone. It's the quietest I've seen said topics and I've been here since September 2005.

I haven't watched any WWE product in the past....six months? Based on what I've been reading here and other places, I kinda don't regret that. It's just amazing though, I'd never thought I would ever get to that point.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I didn't watch <--> I heard it sucked.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.

EDIT:

Just realized what today was. Happy 11th Anniversary, Nexus.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 4

On 6/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Craig H said:

I don't know, WWE still hires a decent amount of "Body" guys and monster that's pretty much always been apart of the roster. I don't see Hunter and the rest of the guys in charge of Developmental and NXT in particular deviating from the average modern Indie type guy. 

I could see that being the case for the Women mainly because they've hired a ton of great women from the indies and they most of them didn't get much of a push.Push. Maybe we will see a little more of his preference in the hiring process but I don't see it being much more of a difference than the last guy.

Lio Rush just announced his retirement from Pro Wrestling. Odd timing, but there you go.

Spoiler