DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Discussion

As my G.O.A.T., I love way too many Bret lines - it's cheating, but I heard him say it before I ever heard the Stones: "Ya can't always get what you want, but ya get what ya need."

If that doesn't count, then the one I'll go with today is "Just wanna say hi to my cat, Smokey" from a random guest commentary appearance on Nitro (surprise, surprise: they sent him to the booth with *nothing*)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I hope you all don't mind but with it being Friday I figure why not have fun with this.   Oh, and @The Natural COME ON DOWN! /priceisright

"who are you to doubt el Dandy?"

"you people probably don't even have groins"

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

"Did you ever notice that America is shaped like one big, giant toilet bowl?"

This one's sticking out right now as I am almost done watching '96 WWF and can't wait to start '97.

"This is the greatest moment of my whole life.  I dedicate this moment to all the people that believe that the biggest dreams can still come true."

This one from when he first won the title sticks out as well.

• Like 4

Just now, Log said:

Was it Bret that said if you were to give the U.S. an enema, Pittsburgh is where you’d stick the tube?

Yup, and at least on Wrestling with Shadows, the "US -> Toilet bowl" quote was in a close vicinity to that one as well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Log said:

Was it Bret that said if you were to give the U.S. an enema, Pittsburgh is where you’d stick the tube?

Yes!  I loved that line!  Granted, I used to think of that every time the Ravens would face the Steelers but that was before I went there and realized that Pittsburgh is actually quite nice.

Hmm...kind of makes me wonder if Bret had Joker's "This town needs an enema" line on the brain when he said that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Yes!  I loved that line!  Granted, I used to think of that every time the Ravens would face the Steelers but that was before I went there and realized that Pittsburgh is actually quite nice.

Hmm...kind of makes me wonder if Bret had Joker's "This town needs an enema" line on the brain when he said that.

The "if you gave the US an enema [CITY] is where you'd put the tube" is a line that predates Bret and has essentially infinite local variations.

Like for my dad it was always Galveston.

• Like 2

Well it was the first I heard that variation of the line and the one I'll always remember.  I honestly don't really hate any particular city but I think I would use that for Florida with all the dumb shit going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As my G.O.A.T., I love way too many Bret lines - it's cheating, but I heard him say it before I ever heard the Stones: "Ya can't always get what you want, but ya get what ya need."

If that doesn't count, then the one I'll go with today is "Just wanna say hi to my cat, Smokey" from a random guest commentary appearance on Nitro (surprise, surprise: they sent him to the booth with *nothing*)

This is why we are friends in my head. 

I love his quote from the WWE HOF..."Never spend the second half of your life getting over the first half."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Phantom Lord said:

So with the NJPW stuff, is Bryan an actual free agent right now or is he still under WWE Contract?

He is a legit free agent

His contract ended the day of the SDL match against Roman

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Loki said:

This is why we are friends in my head. 

I love his quote from the WWE HOF..."Never spend the second half of your life getting over the first half."

Damn, it's been so long since I saw his speech that I may have to give that another look.  That's a damn good one.

• Like 2

One more Bret Hart line:

"Frustrated isn't the God damn word for it. This is bullshit! "

NSFW. Bret Hart to Vince McMahon after losing to Sycho Sid in a Steel Cage match for Sid's WWF Championship on RAW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One more Bret Hart line:

Bret Hart to Vince McMahon after losing to Sycho Sid in a Steel Cage match for Sid's WWF Championship on RAW.

AEW still has a long way to go to be as compelling as the WWF in the spring and summer of 1997... Bret and Austin were never any better than that year.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, The Natural said:

One more Bret Hart line:

NSFW. Bret Hart to Vince McMahon after losing to Sycho Sid in a Steel Cage match for Sid's WWF Championship on RAW.

That was a double cross. Bret refused to swear on live TV, and said he'd only do it if they went to a commercial break, do the promo when they were off the air, and then recap it with the swearing beeped when the show came back live. Vince agreed. And then they (intentionally) didn't go to break. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

AEW still has a long way to go to be as compelling as the WWF in the spring and summer of 1997... Bret and Austin were never any better than that year.

1997 is still my favourite year of wrestling for WWF, WCW and ECW. Bret Hart has one of the best years ever minus the Montreal Screwjob. Fuck Vince McMahon, Shawn Michaels and Triple H. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 gets my vote as The greatest match of all time. *****. The Hart Foundation reforms taking on Steve Austin and America.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

That was a double cross. Bret refused to swear on live TV, and said he'd only do it if they went to a commercial break, do the promo when they were off the air, and then recap it with the swearing beeped when the show came back live. Vince agreed. And then they (intentionally) didn't go to break. 

Sneaky bugger!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For WWE going forward and also for new wrestler signings:

The male talents they will hire going forward have to be young, with good size. With an emphasis on minorities.  “Good size” was described as a legitimate 6-foot and 220 pounds, they want to move away from the smaller "ROH" style type of guys they had been hiring for years. This new size mandate doesnt exclude big indy guys or wrestlers from overseas.

They also want to hire more female producers, for helping put together the womens matches. Molly Holly tried out recently.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

One more Bret Hart line:

That was incredible to see back then.  Still the only worked shoot worth a damn.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Damn.  Never heard that before.

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

The male talents they will hire going forward have to be young, with good size. With an emphasis on minorities.  “Good size” was described as a legitimate 6-foot and 220 pounds, they want to move away from the smaller "ROH" style type of guys they had been hiring for years. This new size mandate doesnt exclude big indy guys or wrestlers from overseas.

They also want to hire more female producers, for helping put together the womens matches. Molly Holly tried out recently.

Johnny Ace is back, baby!  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Thankfully, Bret learned his lesson from that experience and Vince was never able to double-cross him again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

On 6/1/2021 at 3:37 AM, AxB said:

That would be the 4th Twink Gauntlet. Effy ran the first one in Timebomb Pro (in Fargo ND), Parrow the second at Effy's Big Gay Brunch 2020, Parrow and Odinson the third at BGB 2021, and now MV Young is running the 4th.

And here is the first one:

Reveal hidden contents

So I got around to watching this....It a 100 man kumite but gay...

WWE really should just pivot to being a place where celebrities and athletes from other sports wrestle if they're going to constantly box in what being a wrestler means to them. Size and body type shouldn't matter if you have the skills. Obviously there will be exceptions to that new rule, but that sounds like a major regression. Now we're back at the time of WWE when someone like Daniel Bryan wouldn't get hired because of his size, and he's been one of the more massively popular talents they've had in the last decade.

There's good bits in that news, like wanting to hire more "minorities", and female producers, but at the end of the day it's WWE going back to exclusively looking for a specific type of wrestler.

• Like 2

WWE did hire two black women as writers today: Kenice Mobley and Milly Tamarez.  Tamarez will be writing for Smackdown but not sure about Mobley.  Both are comedians so hopefully WWE's 'comedy' will be less dire.

As you might imagine a bunch of trash dick losers on the internet are upset about this.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

Source?

This is exactly what I predicted, so I have to check my bias. ?