DVDVR Message Board

Welcome to the Dollhouse - Raw - 5/31/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Damn, another freaking Lashley/McIntyre match. Kingston at least was a fresh matchup, and you could've done a lot with that storyline. 

Smith didn't sound terrible, but he didn't sound like he was in play by play mode either. If anything, Graves sounded more like the play by play analyst tonight. Secondly, the three man booth is way too crowded. It just sounds everyone is talking over each other and trying to get their crap in. Also, Smith, Graves, and Saxton on top of each other sound too similar. There's not enough differentiation in their voices and tone.

I don't know why Saxton is there. He's not really saying or adding anything other than what Graves and Smith are already doing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If I was Jaxson Ryker, I probably wouldn't answer my phone tomorrow. 

Well, the alternative is that this is somehow the start of his face turn, so....

Only watched the main.  Was surprised they drug this out for three weeks, only to have Kofi lose and run Lashley-Drew again.  No real interest in seeing that match again.  Drew's pretty stale for me right now.

• Like 1

I thought Jimmy Smith did well. Not too noticeable at first but gelled well and was flowing pretty good by the end. Nothing stood out as bad for a first night on the job compared to Virk's start. Always liked his MMA work.

Nothing really memorable until the main event. Pleasantly surprised they didn't go the same old tired set up for a triple threat after last week. Drew/Lashley may be done to death but nothing else really feels like a Hell in a Cell kind of match.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

- "I served in Iraq"

- Immediately jobbed out and humiliated on Memorial Day.

I get it. It's just a TV show. But those aren't the best optics. Couldn't have saved that one week?

• Like 3

Charlotte being made to look like an even bigger for than Rhea is fine for me. I know Nikki won't likely get a title match with the winner. but I really hope she does if only because her vs. either is a pretty fresh match up.

Shayna/Reginald was the stupid bullshit I expected. Shayna beating Reginald's ass later was better. I have no interest in Shayna/Alexa in any form let alone with Alexa's current shitty gimmick.

Naomi/Lana vs. Mandy/Dana was a little off, but generally ok. 

Kofi/Drew was damn good, even better than last week's match, but the wrong guy won without question. I have absolutely zero interest in more Drew/Lashley or even Drew in the title scene right now. Kofi/Lashley would have been so much more fresh and interesting. Honestly, these recent matches with Lashley and Drew really o push how damn stupid it was to push Kofi back down after he lost the belt to Brock opposed to actually having him occasionally challenge for the belt. He might be better than ever right now and he provides something fresh if only because of how much they haven't used him in the main even outside of Kofimania.

Smith was decent, but felt unnecessary with Graves covering play by play most of the time. If they want do their usual mix of a play by play guy while the other two commentators bicker the face/heel dynamic then this isn't the right mixture for that. Honestly, I think they would be better off lettings Graves just do play by play with the occasional snarky heel comments and wrestler insight. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Smith didn't sound terrible, but he didn't sound like he was in play by play mode either. If anything, Graves sounded more like the play by play analyst tonight. Secondly, the three man booth is way too crowded. It just sounds everyone is talking over each other and trying to get their crap in. Also, Smith, Graves, and Saxton on top of each other sound too similar. There's not enough differentiation in their voices and tone.

Graves and Byron don't really sound that similar to each other usually. They have been easy to differentiate in the past.

I'm shocked Drew went over clean. He's a great wrestler but they've gotten as much mileage out of him at the top of the card as they can. It's times like these they really need the territory system back because he'd really benefit going elsewhere to freshen up for a while. HITC is still a few weeks away so who knows, maybe there's some other type of fuckery afoot to change the actual match.

Remember when Shayna was an unstoppable force choking out other women left and right? Now she's probably going to job to an evil doll.

I'd comment on Smith's commentary but I honestly couldn't differentiate he and Graves throughout the evening.

10 hours ago, Peck said:

- "I served in Iraq"

- Immediately jobbed out and humiliated on Memorial Day.

I get it. It's just a TV show. But those aren't the best optics. Couldn't have saved that one week?

The equivalent of losing in your hometown. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

This.

I think Shayna was one of the wrestlers most hurt by the timing of the covid pandemic. I believe the week before everything shut down she had a longish match on Raw with Kairi Sane that the crowd was not all that into and if I'm honest wasn't all that great. I think in a typical situation that could have just been a roadbump but that was literally the last time she wrestled in front of a crowd until this past Mania hence that's the last bit of crowd feedback (or in this case lack there of) she really got and they never seemed to commit to her afterwards.

TBF as well her working out on the main roster was never gonna be a slam dunk, a not particularly charismatic (mostly) technician always has a chance of not being embraced by the crowd in many wrestling feds but especially main roster WWE.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:16 AM, The Natural said:

E2wdZ0qXwAEMlHf?format=jpg&name=large

Power Rangers New Day!

My cousin was a bit Power Rangers fanatic when he was a kid and was quick to point out that Kingston and Woods are both dressed as different incarnations of Tommy Oliver who started off as the Green Ranger (Kofi) and eventually became the White Ranger (Woods).

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 10:52 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I don't watch RAW anymore, but if the payoff is Alexa trying her voodoo bullshit and Shayna no selling it and destroying her ? I'd watch that.

She’s going to get possessed by the doll and be Alexa’s heater.