DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 5/28/2021

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Nothing in what you posted implies Abrahantes did anything bad, and everything I've read from Spanish speaking Redditors indicates that he was telling Urbina he crossed a line and to cut it out.

I took "Do Shida" as encouragement to mock the accent, as if they've done it before in private or something. Granted, I took that JUST from the article above and without the input of the Spanish-speaking folks as you have mentioned. Your theory is completely plausible. 

1 minute ago, Peck said:

I took "Do Shida" as encouragement to mock the accent, as if they've done it before in private or something. Granted, I took that JUST from the article above and without the input of the Spanish-speaking folks as you have mentioned. Your theory is completely plausible. 

The quoted bit you posted even said "do Shida as in translate the promo".

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Dark Order got one of the bigger pops of the night, and Evil Uno got his own chant during the main event. They're over, but someone like @John from Cincinnati will still take issue with Hangman Page "playing grab ass on lawmowers" with them, even though both acts are solidly over. 

Some people like clowns. I'm not denying that the circus exists. 

I like the look of the new women's title and it's cool that they celebrated Shida's milestone. She had the hard task of having a reign under the most unenviable of circumstances. Despite it all, I still enjoyed her as champ but this is definitely Britt's match to lose. At this point, there's a lot more that can be done with her as champ and the faces giving chase. 

'Hot Boy Summer'!  Right on! Loving this Wingmen Unit.  Ceasar Baloney did a real nice job in that bout.  Was there any mention as to why it was changed from a tag match with Sting(!!!)?

This Moxley-Kingston team has somehow led a pair of good stickmen into quirky boring promos.  Moxley claimed on Observer Radio that they have a great DVD of outtakes.  Hard to believe when what makes it to air is so thoroughly mediocre.  

Cody-Ogogo weigh-in was as awkward as it gets.  The strip down to the undies made it one of the more homoerotic segments in recent history. Wight fiddling with the scale was another glaring example of AEW needing to dress rehearse or go over what they're doing prior.  Just awful booking here.  

DO-Page/Scorp was fantastic.  So pleased to hear the crowd get behind Uno and Grayson.  That DDT to Scorpio on the apron was fantastic.  

Janela/Page was excellent too.  And somewhat surprised to find myself enjoying the 79th Inner Circle townhall. The Hager and Santana promos were on point.  As was FTR crushing LAX thru the tables.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Cody-Ogogo weigh-in was as awkward as it gets.  The strip down to the undies made it one of the more homoerotic segments in recent history. Wight fiddling with the scale was another glaring example of AEW needing to dress rehearse or go over what they're doing prior.  Just awful booking here.  

Man, that segment just kind of dragged along and you're going "They'll do something at the end to build some heat", then Ogogo et al. just walked away while Cody did this generic "Thanks for coming out! This is for the fans! See you Sunday!" promo and it was just awful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

She got that new belt just in time to hand both of them over to Britt on Sunday.

I actually think "beloved babyface champion wrestles for a year in front of nobody then loses the belt in front of a full house right away" is kind of amazing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I actually think "beloved babyface champion wrestles for a year in front of nobody then loses the belt in front of a full house right away" is kind of amazing.

And to your point, what a great motivator for a rematch down the line, or for a future chase in general. I have seen her say in interviews a bunch of times now how she can't wait to defend in front of fans, plus this week's promo... Lots of gold to mine for promo packages and such.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

"never got to celebrate a title defense with her fans" as the next level of Tommy Dreamer finally winning the ECW belt in it's dying days but "never getting to wear it/put it on"

yeah I can dig this

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Gordi covered most of it.

Cheers.

One thing I forgot to mention:

Ortiz (If I remember correctly) wearing a very sweet (almost too much so) "Four Pillars of Heaven" t-shirt during the Stadium Stampede hype video. It was just a brief flash of him talking, but I marked out for that shirt.

I think this design, but in Misawa green rather than Kawada yellow:

13ViaYZ.jpg

And it's cool that "Knows no surcease" is a Solie reference!

I sometimes say "My gastronomic rapacity knows no surcease" at buffets but it turns out I was misquoting (Actual Simpsons quote was apparently: "My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety")

However, "knows no surcease" is also a quote from Poe's The Raven, so it is still a deep-cut Simpsons reference, intended or not. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Cody-Ogogo weigh-in was as awkward as it gets.  The strip down to the undies made it one of the more homoerotic segments in recent history. Wight fiddling with the scale was another glaring example of AEW needing to dress rehearse or go over what they're doing prior.  Just awful booking here

Gotta agree with every point of this. I hope the match is at least decent, because the build up has been just awful. What the hell even was this segment? No pull-apart brawl? No "THE GIANT IS THE ONLY MAN WHO IS STRONG ENOUGH TO KEEP THESE TWO APART!"

• Like 2

What was the previous weigh-in in AEW? Jericho and... Moxley I think? They were doing an entrance with ring girls during PiP, but everyone watching on Fite got to hear JR saying "Holy shit what's that?" when the girls came out. It was on Botchamania.

• Like 3

What was the point of a weigh-in when there's no weight limits for the match anyway? Couldn't they have come up with a better reason to get the two together? A contract signing, a "face-to-face confrontation," whatever. Instead, Paul Wight fumbled with the scale instead of saying "fuck it' and kayfabing something that didn't matter anyway.

Love me some Dark Order. Their stuff on Being the Elite is must-watch.

Edited by jstout
  • Like 1

Forgot this was on remembered when I was home during my lunch hour and recored it in process I only missed the first 3 minutes of Bononi-Allin match and I didn't miss much match was all about the post match angle. Which is cool it built more towards the Darby/Sing vs Scorpio/Page match at the PPV. Also it furthers their slow build between Darby and possibly Sting joining the Dark Order. The run out to save Darby all the time he seems to have gained their respect by accepting challenges from the Dark Order while he was TNT Champion. Although this all brings up the question how will this all affect Hangman Page and his affiliation with the Dark Order cuz there can only be one leader and if Darby or Page are in the group he's gonna be the leader.

The weigh-in was awesome, Cody can put ion a presentation. His sister was out there for crying out loud. When does Teal get involved in angles? Ogogo looked like a star, he has to beat Cody at the PPV. The Cody-QT feud is exactly how it should be they are building up a new star with all this. I hope they don't dropped the ball come PPV time.

Hangman vs Jonela was cool. Jonela reminds me of one of the lower card WCW guys where you know he isn't gonna win you know you are in store for something. Page looked like an absolute beast pinning Jonela with his face covered in blood. He's another guy that needs to come out of the PPV with a victory. Im pumed for Hangman vs Brian Cage.

Kingston and Moxley can cut killer promos that Tag Match is gonna be a fight. There's hell to pay come as for whose winning I really want to see Kingston and Moxley as Champs, my buddy brought up a good point however that the Bucks are a little too fresh in the heel turn to lose the belts. But there's gotta be some sort of blow off in this feud. I don't know whats gonna happen.

Pac's promo was exactly what it should have been, he should be pissed off for being overlooked in this 3 way cuz he is. The focus is on Kenny vs Orange they almost should have it be a singles match, the focus at the end of the segment was all about Kenny and Orange but it's gonna be an awesome match nonetheless.

Why is Mark Sterling Jade's manager, I'm praying it's a swerve and Salina de la Renta shows up at the PPV and Jade clotheslines Sterling or something. the match was good got an extended amount of time, KiLynn got in a good amount of offense it it was still Cargills match. For only having 5 matches Cargill ain't bad. Another star in the making.

The Miro match was short and sweet Donte showed some fire but Miro was too much for him aa he should have been he's facing Archer at the PPV. The pre match promo from Jake and Lance and the post match stuff with the beat down was awesome. I've been typing awesome a lot but theres been a lot of awesome stuff on the show. 

It's now time for me to compare AEW to WWE and how AEW does it better. They show respect for their competitors and their accomplishments. With that I mean the Shida celebration felt organic and genuine. She's the first AEW Champion to have a year long reign and unlike in the WWE when some one "becomes the longest reigning Champion in WWE history" this felt less manufactured than when WWE does it. Like she didn't have an ignored reign or not defend the title for an extended amount of time and only got a push because they finally realized they were close to breaking a record and then start pushing her as champion to push the milestone. Shida had a really good run as champ in the darkest time of the AEW Women's Division she busted her ass to give stellar matches and was a true champion, brought prominence to the division. it felt like a celebration of Shida and not just the accomplishment. And of course Britt Baker comes to rain on the parade, they have a title match coming up. Britt's another whose stock rose during the pandemic I'd say they both put the Women's Division on their backs in a rough time and finally they are meeting face to face. Britt is over, the fans respect Shida but they wanna see Britt as champ.

I'm all for Sammy's Subterranean Homesick Blues gimmick during the picture in pictures. great device to get angles over.

That tag match between Scorpio/Ethan and Stu/Uno was pretty dope. Was exactly what it needed to be a vehicle to establish Scorp and All Ego as an effective tag team but going in there with an established tag team that have a reputation with the fans are being a rough and tumble team in their own right and coming out the victors. Sting disguise himself as Sting will never not be awesome. Oops I said it again.

If that Inner Circle segment was the final send off. What a send off. Seriously the strongest faction in AEW over the last 18 months. They've done a lot of cool shit. This faction has probably been the closest to the Horsemen and they weren't even trying to be the Horsemen. Everyone knocked it out the park in their promos. It felt real they mean all this, then The Pinnacle just had to ruin it. Poor Dean, why did they take his pants off? If you were to examine the angle I think it all stems from MJF being jealous and envious of Jericho having true friends and it has manifested itself into hatred. Stadium Stampede is gonna be killer and I think completely different from last year and Im extremely cool with that. Those piledrivers through the tables, a stellar not awesome but stellar way to close the show. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

'Hot Boy Summer'!  Right on! Loving this Wingmen Unit.  Ceasar Baloney did a real nice job in that bout.  Was there any mention as to why it was changed from a tag match with Sting(!!!)?

Yeah that was never advertised as a tag match. Why would they give away Sting's first live match in 6 years in a throw away squash match with some jobbers two days before the PPV? May just have gotten mistaken with Sting being in the match graphic, but it was definitely never a tag match.

Pretty sure Hangman got busted open by bonking heads with Janela on one of his rolling forearms leading to the finish. It bleed like crazy tho, really added something to his promo when he's yelling and blood is spitting off his face lol.

I get the weigh in, in concept. But in execution... yikes. Real boxer. Trying to blur the lines. Needing a segment where they could face off but not go crazy yadda yadda, but it just did not work. I also think Show's line was that he didn't have time to get a digital scale, not that he couldn't afford one.

That Miro squash was perfect. Just the right amount of him looking like murderer and Martin getting a couple slick shots in to still come away from the match with a net positive.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

What was the previous weigh-in in AEW? Jericho and... Moxley I think? They were doing an entrance with ring girls during PiP, but everyone watching on Fite got to hear JR saying "Holy shit what's that?" when the girls came out. It was on Botchamania.

Yes, Jericho and Moxey with Jericho/Inner Circle doing the Gracie train entrance.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

To get people thinking about AEW ahead of Dynamite airing late on an off night.

And it was funny.

But the people who don't really enjoy AEW will try to twist that promo into being about Khan getting himself over, or how they're becoming bush league, or whatever.

58 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

To give himself a tug in public, thinly veiled as entertainment. 

Ah, yeah, there it is.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

And it was funny.

But the people who don't really enjoy AEW will try to twist that promo into being about Khan getting himself over, or how they're becoming bush league, or whatever.

Ah, yeah, there it is.

He has embarrassing camera presence. I honestly feel bad for him. He stutters like a teenager in the basement who thinks they’re the Rock. I’m sorry that people like you think being a true fan of this promotion means pretending this dweeb’s farts smell like roses. 

The bar for humour for AEW obsessives is already on the floor. You don’t need to keep reaching for that shovel.