DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 5/28/2021

Amazing to see the live crowd back, loved Darby getting that big initial pop out first. Scorpio Sky (and this team with Ethan Page) doesn't really do anything for me. But I'll always love "It's Sting..... in a Sting mask!!" as done in WCW, TNA, and now here. Great to see the Cody entrance back in front of fans, though I do still wish he'd go back to the original version theme music. Also great to see Hangman get some fire back, the blood added a lot and created an excellent visual for the promo with Cage. I'm a huge fan of Shida's title reign, she's been one of my absolute favorite wrestlers for the past year and I've loved every one of her defenses so this was a cool segment and I'll still be sad to see the run end. Solid closing angle, though that kind of super double piledrivers through tables seemed like the kind of thing to put guys on the shelf, not have them back in 2 days. Most of all gotta love the full crowd return for the Judas performance! Very much looking forward to Double or Nothing which looks like an excellent stacked card. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EVA said:

I was delighted to hear a full crowd getting behind Uno and Grayson as babyfaces.  Pre-pandemic, they could barely even get crickets.  That had to feel incredible for them.

2 hours ago, jstout said:

What was the point of a weigh-in when there's no weight limits for the match anyway? Couldn't they have come up with a better reason to get the two together? A contract signing, a "face-to-face confrontation," whatever. Instead, Paul Wight fumbled with the scale instead of saying "fuck it' and kayfabing something that didn't matter anyway.

Love me some Dark Order. Their stuff on Being the Elite is must-watch.

Amazing turnaround for the Dark Order thanks to the late, great Mr. Brodie Lee and Being the Elite. Big Dark Order fan myself.

• Like 1

Watched virtually live but was having issues getting onto DVDVR (maybe an Aussie thing?), so hyped for tomorrow after this show.

Too bad the white pant suit didn’t make a re-appearance but Shida looked and sounded nothing but class. I can’t believe that racist fuckhead on commentary, it boggles the mind what he was thinking. 

The crowd were really into Darby and OC, good to see them still on board with the ‘homegrown’ stars. And Miro’s got to be happy about getting the Samoa Joe ass-kicker reaction to validate the recent unhinged Kip stuff and amazing title match. Cannot wait for the hoss-off with Archer though the crowd could very easily side with Miro.

Kilynn finally got to perform in front of a crowd after the past year on Dark and Elevation and was solid in her role with Jade, although a curious choice having the one woman on the roster matching up to Cargill height and stature wise.

Cody’s gonna Cody, grandiose in every facet...next segment please! Actually, I am intrigued by Ogogo and how much of a wrestling match this will be, whether his sight limitations means he’ll lay his shit in Hansen-style or what.

PAC has some too little too late promo involvement so he’s not quite a complete afterthought. I do think he’s got potential near the food but not with this programme. 
Striking observation from the end segment was how Hager’s quietly become engaging and authentic on the mic. That and they all but told us Inner Circle-Pinnacle is going last based on the placement of the hype in the go-home show.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Custos said:

Watched virtually live but was having issues getting onto DVDVR (maybe an Aussie thing?), so hyped for tomorrow after this show.

Too bad the white pant suit didn’t make a re-appearance but Shida looked and sounded nothing but class. I can’t believe that racist fuckhead on commentary, it boggles the mind what he was thinking. 

The crowd were really into Darby and OC, good to see them still on board with the ‘homegrown’ stars. And Miro’s got to be happy about getting the Samoa Joe ass-kicker reaction to validate the recent unhinged Kip stuff and amazing title match. Cannot wait for the hoss-off with Archer though the crowd could very easily side with Miro.

Kilynn finally got to perform in front of a crowd after the past year on Dark and Elevation and was solid in her role with Jade, although a curious choice having the one woman on the roster matching up to Cargill height and stature wise.

Cody’s gonna Cody, grandiose in every facet...next segment please! Actually, I am intrigued by Ogogo and how much of a wrestling match this will be, whether his sight limitations means he’ll lay his shit in Hansen-style or what.

PAC has some too little too late promo involvement so he’s not quite a complete afterthought. I do think he’s got potential near the food but not with this programme. 
Striking observation from the end segment was how Hager’s quietly become engaging and authentic on the mic. That and they all but told us Inner Circle-Pinnacle is going last based on the placement of the hype in the go-home show.

Hey, @Custos! Seeing you and your avatar makes me smile thinking about Zack Sabre Jr rants when he loses/smugness in victory.

Getting on the board wasn't just you down under. I was hoping Shida would bring back the white suit. The racist fuckhead has rightly been fired.

With you on the rest you say. Yeah, feels like Stadium Stampede II goes on last. I'd go with Shida/Baker as first choice, Young Bucks vs. Mox/Kingston in second then Stadium Stampede.

Edited by The Natural

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He has embarrassing camera presence. I honestly feel bad for him.

I'm usually a very pro-AEW homer. But even I have to agree here. Every time they post his Impact videos I cringe. The time he came out on Elevation I cringed. And I cringed for this promo. Understand why he did this one, and it seemly worked for it's intended purpose. But Tony Kahn on screen just yells inauthentic. I've always viewed him as likeable, even a bit nerdy. He would always come off pretty mild mannered and well meaning at the after event media scrums and such. But his on screen "character" just screams lack of confidence, trying to be what he thinks a tough guy is.

Again I get why they did it. And it worked. But he is not fit to be an on screen character. At this point at least. I mean Vince McMahon wouldn't have been a great character on his third year in the business either. But he didn't try to be an actual character until two decades in.

Or he's just fucking around and having fun and you guys take this shit way too seriously. 

But I mean, keep projecting and making inferences because that works...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Or he's just fucking around and having fun and you guys take this shit way too seriously. 

But I mean, keep projecting and making inferences because that works...

If he's going to go in front of the camera, is it not fair to judge his performance in front of the camera? To say he's awkward and inauthentic, as a performer, is simply a true statement right?

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If he's going to go in front of the camera, is it not fair to judge his performance in front of the camera? To say he's awkward and inauthentic, as a performer, is simply a true statement right?

My God, it's a YouTube video with only thousands of views. It's not like he kicked off Dynamite with it. 

15 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Why is Mark Sterling Jade's manager, I'm praying it's a swerve and Salina de la Renta shows up at the PPV and Jade clotheslines Sterling or something. the match was good got an extended amount of time, KiLynn got in a good amount of offense it it was still Cargills match. For only having 5 matches Cargill ain't bad. Another star in the making.

Rumor has it that Salina wants to go to WWE and possibly oversee Legado del Phantasma.

MLW signed Zeda Zhang to a multi year deal and did absolutely nothing with her thanks to the pandemic.  If anyone ends up in AEW, it will probably be her unless WWE brings her in to back up Xia Li.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

@JT she did tweet last week "I'm NeXT" so i think she's hinting at going to WWE. Her with Jade I think could be money but if she wants to go to WWE then so be it. I guess we will never see a stable in AEW of Salina de la Renta, Jade Cargill, LA Park and El Hijo de LA Park.

21 hours ago, AxB said:

What was the previous weigh-in in AEW? Jericho and... Moxley I think? They were doing an entrance with ring girls during PiP, but everyone watching on Fite got to hear JR saying "Holy shit what's that?" when the girls came out. It was on Botchamania.

Actually the last weigh in was Darby vs Brian Cage. did a good job of highlighting the 100lbs weight difference going into the match.

I like how these Inner Circle promo's are giving all the guys a chance to shine not just Jericho.

Miro is the total package looks like an absolute monster, unstoppable in the ring, great on the mic.

Also I feel that Jake adds nothing to Archer. Archer is better on the mic and Jake can hardly complete a sentence 

On 5/29/2021 at 10:53 AM, caley said:

Haven't finished the show yet, but am pretty sure this exchange isn't going to be topped:
Excalibur: They say they are waxed, vaxed (vacced?!) and ready for hot boy summer!"
JR: And just what the hell does THAT mean?!

I think it might have been JR's funniest line delivery ever! Just an immediate WTF reaction, so good.

kinda was tunning in and out on commentary when did this exchange happen? lmao

4 hours ago, Daynek said:

kinda was tunning in and out on commentary when did this exchange happen? lmao

Right as Bononi's match was starting, iirc.

It is very jarring how, whenever Excalibur says something that Tony and JR don't understand, Tony's automatic response is to think it's cool and want to know more, and JR's automatic reaction is to get pissed off at Ex for saying it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Right as Bononi's match was starting, iirc.

It is very jarring how, whenever Excalibur says something that Tony and JR don't understand, Tony's automatic response is to think it's cool and want to know more, and JR's automatic reaction is to get pissed off at Ex for saying it.

It really does stand out how different they are.  JR's stuck in his ways and more and more seems like a bad fit for AEW.  But I'll always love Tony for being so willing to find out new things no matter how long he's been part of the business.  It also helps that he's into comics and other nerdy stuff so no matter how old he is he has that common ground with younger talent.  Not bad for somebody that stepped away for so long.

• Like 3