DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

I can't remember which coach it was, but that's that story about a coach yelling out a play call during a game against Rondo, and Rondo turns to him "you guys don't have a play called XXX" and being right.

He's had an at times infuriating career, but he might be my favorite player ever that I'm glad didn't play for my team.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't remember which coach it was, but that's that story about a coach yelling out a play call during a game against Rondo, and Rondo turns to him "you guys don't have a play called XXX" and being right.

I am not sure it is exactly the same story but Rick Carlisle flat out said that during this year's playoffs, Rondo was constantly calling out the Mavs plays so Carlisle said he tried to call as few as plays as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure it is exactly the same story but Rick Carlisle flat out said that during this year's playoffs, Rondo was constantly calling out the Mavs plays so Carlisle said he tried to call as few as plays as possible.

I didn't hear that, but that's amazing too. This one is from a few years ago. Let me Google.

After retirement, Scalabrine became an assistant for the Golden State Warriors. When he returned to the TD Garden for a regular-season game, Scalabrine said head coach Mark Jackson shouted out a call, “42 cross,” for his team. But the play was a bluff. The Warriors didn’t have a “42 cross” in their playbook — and Rondo knew.

Per Scalabrine:

Rondo looked at Mark, and then he looked in the air and said, ’42 cross, 42 cross,’ and then he looked back at Mark and said, ‘You don’t have a 42 cross.’ I was like, ‘How the hell did he just know that?’ 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/rajon-rondo-smart-brian-scalabrine-nba-2018-6%3famp

• Like 1

Young Rondo was an absolute revelation.  He could get to the basket at will and he almost always made the right decision when he got there (except for the assist-hunting, which at least was less of a problem then).  

Also, him obliterating his left elbow and then coming back in the second half of the same game to play one-handed in the 2011 playoffs was both crazy and gutty as hell.

38 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Also Boston sent Evan "Never Google" Fournier to the Knicks along with two second-rounders for cash and a trade exception.

As a scientist, I get why you might name things after yourself (though I think it's mostly douche-y), but man, what was that guy thinking?

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The Bucks will host the Nets on opening night.

The pre-game ceremony is going to be the closest James Harden will ever get to a championship ring.

We'll see.

Who'll get a ring first?  Harden or Jalen Green?

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The Bucks will host the Nets on opening night.

The pre-game ceremony is going to be the closest James Harden will ever get to a championship ring.

Mic drop - Wikipedia

• Haha 1

Jared Dudley is retiring from the Lakers to be an assistant on Kidd's staff in Dallas, per Shams.

I think everybody had him penciled in for an ESPN gig after retirement since about his 2nd year in the league so this is a little surprising.

e:

Edited by Zimbra

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

Seems expensive for Softcore Kevin Love, but okay. 

I wish we'd get out of the Kevin Love and Kevin Love equivalent business. I like their young core, I don't know why we're spending money on players who are taking minutes from that core when they're going to be bad for another year or so regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Lauri's only 24 so theoretically he has some upside left but he hasn't shown much in the last couple of seasons to make me think he's worth this.

They paid Kevin Love 8678654578 trillion, right as he was becoming washed up. They need to keep paying someone an unreasonably high salary for not being very good as he may be off the team in the next season or so.