DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

WELCOME SAN FRANCISCO/OAKLAND/SAN JOSE FANS!  

The current lottery odds!  

1. Houston (17-54; 14 percent)

2. Detroit (20-51; 14%)

3. Oklahoma City (21-50; 13.3%)

4. Orlando (21-50; 13.2%)

5. Golden State (from Minnesota) (22-49; 9.8%)

6. Cleveland (22-49; 9.7%)

7. Toronto (27-44; 7.5%)

8. Orlando (from Chicago) (30-41; 6%)

9. New Orleans (31-40; 3.8%)

10. Sacramento (31-40; 3.7%)

---

Guessing when Milwaukee chokes, Budenholzer will be fired before the arena is empty.

Have to think that the Warriors might look to trade Minnesota(and possibly their own pick.) So think Minnesota's pick definitely gets shopped around in hopes of providing some more depth and veteran presence. Their own pick possibly goes with it, gets sold, or ends up probably going to a seasoned college player. 

My main off season question, do we sign Marquese Chriss to his fourth Warriors contract in three years?

The NBA is starting the conversation again about a mid-season tournament for cash money

The original proposed idea that they were kicking around before the pandemic was

Each Division would do series of pool play (these games would count in the regular season standings). 8 teams would them qualify (The winner of the pool of each division and then 2nd Best team in each conference) for the winner take all tournament. Each player on the winner team would get a million bucks.

Challenges

- the regular season would be shortened to 78 games so owners want to know how that revenue would be made up

- theory that star players would prefer to lose the pool part to get the extra time off while the 8 teams are in tournament

On 5/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, RIPPA said:

The NBA is starting the conversation again about a mid-season tournament for cash money

The original proposed idea that they were kicking around before the pandemic was

Each Division would do series of pool play (these games would count in the regular season standings). 8 teams would them qualify (The winner of the pool of each division and then 2nd Best team in each conference) for the winner take all tournament. Each player on the winner team would get a million bucks.

Challenges

- the regular season would be shortened to 78 games so owners want to know how that revenue would be made up

- theory that star players would prefer to lose the pool part to get the extra time off while the 8 teams are in tournament

That's stupid.

How about a pre-season tournament, only rookies and 2nd year players.  Vets get their rest, rooks who need the money can compete?

• Like 2

on the coin flip to determine who picks between 21-23 ... the Rockets get the 23rd pick.  We also have the 24th pick (from the Bucks for PJ).  Our other pick will be one of 1-4 ... or 18.  I hate you Westbrook.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:45 PM, Lawful Metal said:

That's stupid.

How about a pre-season tournament, only rookies and 2nd year players.  Vets get their rest, rooks who need the money can compete?

What about a 3 on 3 tournament featuring only players with less that 80 games experience? So rookies, 2nd years and journeymen/prospects? Giving rest to all the vets may make 5 on 5 tough.

The rumor going around this morning is that Danny Ainge might not return as Celtics GM next year.

Of course this is the Celtics so they won't actually do anything except leak a story that they were thiiiiiis close to making a change.

E: Or, you know, whatever

Edited by Zimbra

Well that comes on the heels of Ainge trying to claim that he didn't know of any Celtic players ever calling out racism because clearly he never met Bill Russell

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 4:49 PM, hammerva said:

The story about Miami turning down a trade for James Harden because they wouldn't include Tyler Herro is just too insane to be true.  Especially since Herro really has been average since the bubble 

Eh, what’s that you say?   A GM is making a risky, completely-out-there decision for no good reason other than he drank too much of his own kool-aid and convinced himself he was a genius who understands the game on a level none of his peers can touch?

My god, I hope that doesn't become a trend!!!

Lol, the Harden/Herro narrative seems too ridiculous to be accurate, but I learned a long time ago to just shrug when owners and gm's ask me to come and admire their new clothes. 

Edited by Eoae

I'm surprised Terry Stotts has not been fired yet. I'm really interested to see what the Blazers do this summer because no way is a coaching change the answer. They need a 2 guard that defend. As the free agent market is so trash this summer with very few exceptions, players like CJ McCollum should have higher value than normal. 

Was just telling a friend that i'm going to have to watch my ankles jumping off that bandwagon. Fuck. ??

This the guy that tried to force Giannis into half court and avoid fast breaks. Weren't Milwaukee the slowest team in the league with Kidd? 

Edited by Jiji

Well on the flip side per Wojo

LA Clippers assistant Chauncey Billups, former Knicks and Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, Brooklyn Nets assistant Mike D'Antoni and Michigan's Juwan Howard are among candidates expected to be considered for the Blazers' opening, sources said.

Shams says it will be either Billups or Kidd so we'll see who wins out.

Steve Clifford is out in Orlando as they go into full rebuild mode.  Stotts is already being reported as a candidate for the job.

Blazers really remind me of the Raptors before the the Kawhi trade. Will they find their Nick Nurse to replace their Dwayne Casey (Stotts)? Will they trade their Derozan (CJ) to get their Kawhi? Not an identical scenario, but I see the parallels.