DVDVR Message Board

Reasons why certain guys never got a run in WWE/TNA?

Was there a particular reason why Sabu didn't get a hardcore division run in Attitude Era WWF? Drugs couldn't have beennthe issue considering the roster, and a Sabu vs. Foley plunder match would have been pretty rad.

Air Paris comes to mind.  Hasn't AJ Styles EVER tried to get his tag team partner a job in ROH or TNA?

From what I remember, it was pretty much the case of Air Paris screwing Air Paris.  He had a run in some podunk North Georgia promotion, but that was about it, he didn't stay in the same physical shape as he was in WCW, drinking too much beers and just never got back out there.

And I remember folks saying he had a better shot at succeeding over AJ, while not the moves guy, he had the better charisma and psychology that AJ didn't have at the time.  I never saw it myself, but yeah.

Was there a particular reason why Sabu didn't get a hardcore division run in Attitude Era WWF? Drugs couldn't have beennthe issue considering the roster, and a Sabu vs. Foley plunder match would have been pretty rad.

He seemed content with ECW (until Heyman started fucking with him) and never gave a shit about the WWF. 

Sabu liked marching to his own drum and was so influenced by his uncle he wouldn't have had the mentality that going to WWF means "you made it".  I know he's commented on shoots about how WWF was never a goal.  He only went to WCW in 95 when he had the falling out with Heyman and they would let him work Japan as well, but quickly left because he hated it there.

When he went to WWECW in 2006 he knew it was his last chance to make good money there.  Plus they agreed to put The Sheik in the HOF

Why did Wendall Cooley never get a run in the NWA or WWF? He seemed to have a look Vince would've liked. I never actually saw him wrestle but I remember reading a lot about him in the Apter mags and thinking he'd show up in the big leagues at some point.

Never understood why Disco never made it to the WWF.  Would have fit in there I think.

I remember the rumor at the time was that he was going to be the HTM protege that turned out to be Billy Gunn. I'm sure that's been debunked since then but I do remember thinking that was a slam dunk at the time.

Why did Wendall Cooley never get a run in the NWA or WWF? He seemed to have a look Vince would've liked. I never actually saw him wrestle but I remember reading a lot about him in the Apter mags and thinking he'd show up in the big leagues at some point.

Wendall Cooley was pretty much charisma-less.

Wendall Cooley was pretty much charisma-less.

That didn't stop quite a few guys from getting above jobber status runs in NWA/WCW and WWF.

Plus they agreed to put The Sheik in the HOF

This had nothing to do with it.

Also worth noting Sabu wanted to go to WCW in 2000 but Heyman blocked it. He probably would have debuted if the company survived as the legal affair could only go on for so long before a conclusion. RVD was on his way in as well. 

Al got a couple tryout matches in the WWF, as a face against Barry Horowitz and as a heel against Tito.  I assume Vince wasn't impressed, though both matches were televised. so who knows?

I figured it was more than that. Because I remember a featurette on him in a WWF magazine. FWIW, he mentioned in an interview with Matt Borne that he left BC he didn't give any "business" to Pat Patterson

How come Necro never got a sniff with either company?  He's basically the king of garbage wrestling and garbage wrestling has always sold well to television audiences.

I'd imagine the giant marijuana leaf probably isn't going to help get him into the current WWE. I would pay to watch Harper and Necro if they were treated as unbeatable swamp monsters for a few months.

Because he pretty much blew.

Al got a couple tryout matches in the WWF, as a face against Barry Horowitz and as a heel against Tito.  I assume Vince wasn't impressed, though both matches were televised. so who knows?

I figured it was more than that. Because I remember a featurette on him in a WWF magazine. FWIW, he mentioned in an interview with Matt Borne that he left BC he didn't give any "business" to Pat Patterson

Turns out he was there a lot longer than I'd thought.  Apparently he worked over 80 matches in the WWF.

The one that has always surprised me was Larry Cameron. I know he had a tryout with WWF and nothing came of it and he went to tour Australia. I can't imagine why VKM didn't sign him as he seemed like exactly the right look for WWF and there was the added bonus of a relationship with Stampede. He must've either stunk up the joint or pissed somebody off.

Al Perez was one of those guys that looked great until he got in the ring, then he was all sorts of meh. I recall the Apter mags writing glowing accolades about him, and then I finally got to see him. Hadn't been so disappointed since finally seeing Bruno after years of reading about him....

I vaguely remember that in 99 maybe, there was a big thing about Sabu about to come to WCW but Heyman blocked it.

That's weird, since his '95 run was such a flop.

A flop? He was super over in every appearance. He left ECW in early 2000 and was set to debut on Nitro as a mystery partner of Sid. Then Heyman tried to pull out a contract. By the time he proved it was not valid, WCW was dying and pulled the offer. Of course Heyman had months before made this big speech that nobody was a prisoner in ECW and could leave whenever they wanted. Sabu said later he worked in WWE long enough to work Wrestlemania and to get his uncle in the hall of fame.