DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/19/2021

Serena Deeb channeling Judy Martin was sooo fucking great.  That was a 1974 NWA title defense.

EDIT:  The Young Bucks are the Midnight Express of 2021!  The Varsity Blonds were the Wild Eyed Southern Boys.  I'm sure Jim Cornette loved that the Blondes didn't make the hot tag until after the Bucks tagged.

• Like 6

Christian/Sydal was a fun TV match as expected. Serena is greatness! Glad to see her back and not missing a step at all. Dug the finish in both womens matches. Moxley & Kingston continue to rule together, nice to see Wild Thing stick around. Really liked Kazarian's promo and the potential angle of him going after all the Elite now, that should be cool. Loved the Miro/Archer back and forth, that match is going to be awesome. I don't wanna see Archer lose in his title chase again and obviously too soon for Miro to lose but hyped for the match regardless. Double or Nothing card looking excellent and stacked. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Has Serena had a match anywhere before tonight since the Riho match on Dynamite? 

This was her first back, she had arthroscopic knee surgery after that. Loved that Serena/Riho match, one of my favorites of the year.

• Like 1

Just figured out tonight that Ogogo wins his matches by referee stoppage and never goes for pins because he's still a boxer and that's how it works in boxing.

I'm posting this in the hopes that I'm not the absolute last person on this board to clue in on that.

35 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Just figured out tonight that Ogogo wins his matches by referee stoppage and never goes for pins because he's still a boxer and that's how it works in boxing.

I'm posting this in the hopes that I'm not the absolute last person on this board to clue in on that.

I like him using the liver shot as a finisher. But it totally occured to me while watching his match. This guy should use the heart punch as a finisher. I would love to see him give Cody one.

Serena was great tonight. Kamille is gonna run through her though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goodear said:

HATERS GUIDE

What a great episode of Dark!

Goodnight everybody!

Boo! I feel so short-changed! Seriously though, it’s nice to not live in (too much of) an online echo chamber ?

I thought this was the best Jericho promo since the Inner Circle turned, as it had the right tone and seriousness behind it. A fun show to help set up the PPV, and some very good TV matches (the opener, main event, and especially the women's match). This was easily the best I've seen Pillman look, and I could see them being serious challengers in a year (may have to turn before then with power on the face side of the tag team division with Mox/Kington, Best Friends, Santana and Ortiz). 

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Talk about a shot that could be fired in literally any direction. 

Hey I’m out here, walking the line, saying everything without saying anything, leaving it all open to interpretation. Just like Cody orates at the marks on politics ?

Edited by Custos
  • Haha 1

Shida's sit out shinbreaker set-up to that Stretch Muffler wasn't all that horrible.  Why hasn't she used that combo more often and employed more leg work in her matches? Her matches would finally gain some of the psychology that they have lacked in the past?

Is it too late to get the title match with Britt booked to be a submission match?

Edited by J.T.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched this and I laugh my ass off every time Bowens goes "A-E-AHHHH" after he gets clobbered by Moxley. The box of Newports line still kills me too.

• Like 9

A bit bummed by the lack of Troggs.  No offence to X, great band, but let’s be honest their wild thing is a bit butt rock.  That said it does feel like an 80s sports film big comeback Sheen highlight, and I suppose that’s more AEW than classic British Invasion.

As much as I think this version of "Wild Thing" fits I'll miss Mox's first theme.  Such a great little theme and perfect for cardio.

Hmm...I know this was a cooldown episode but this seems like the least amount of discussion for their show yet.  I mean I get it but it was still a really fun show.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As much as I think this version of "Wild Thing" fits I'll miss Mox's first theme.  Such a great little theme and perfect for cardio.

Hmm...I know this was a cooldown episode but this seems like the least amount of discussion for their show yet.  I mean I get it but it was still a really fun show.

There were really strong promos up and down the whole show too. Even Jericho had a really good bounce back promo. And holy shit, that promo from Pillman Jr. was great. Never knew he had that in him.

Good matches too. Nothing was amazing, but everything was pretty good. Maybe the Deeb match approached amazing if just because she's such an outstanding worker.

• Like 2

- Rusev absolutely killed in his promo. "I'd like to thank Jesus Christ for making me tough enough to destroy everyone I come into contact with" is a great line as well as the fact that he basically threatens to murder people in his promos. 

- The Varsity Blondes adding Julia Hart as head cheerleader (who is only 19 so they are all for sure a really young act to feature) is a money move. Like, they're all such good babyfaces but once they get more experience I could see that being a fun heel act. 

- Serena Deeb might be the best women's wrestler in the country. That was an unreal vicious performance. 

• Like 4