DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

It was close between the Jazz and the Suns in terms of depth but Suns are a little bit better balanced and more cohesive, with better man-to-man defense without having to rely on Gobert protecting the paint. That's why I thought some of the takes on Gobert being exposed in game 7 were off, because had they brought in Favors or whomever for Rudy when the Clips went five out, they would've been hitting open layups instead of open threes. Nobody could keep their man in front of them. 

I don't view that game as Gobert being exposed as much as the Jazz bet on the Clippers missing 3's and they bet wrong. Gobert is amazing at what he does, but the problem with him is he's just flat out not good enough offensively to be a threat down low, and never forces help. On the defensive front, the biggest problem was simply the Jazz Perimeter Defense wasn't good enough, which led to easy drives, and put Gobert in a terrible position: Either let them get an easy layup, move over to help, and have the driver have an easy pass out to an open shooter for 3. 

I still kind of think I'd prefer to have an Ayton playoff time due to sheer versatility on both sides of the ball. Add in the Suns are packed with good perimeter defenders, and they are just a significantly harder matchup.

Honestly, after the Aaron Gordon trade, I thought Denver had the best roster in the league until Murray got hurt.

But I love this Suns team, and that was one hell of a basketball game today

• Like 1

But Aaron Gordon is garbage water. Hot garbage water. Any notion of him being a difference maker is over after these playoffs. Wade was right all along.

I think for the Jazz to take the next step, Mitchell has to evolve into a good defender. He has all the physical tools and we know he reads the game pretty well (though his reaction to some of those double teams was not so hot). If he does that and they bring back a healthy Mike Conley, they'll be a favourite for the title next year. But when you've got a hobbled backcourt (Conley was so great against the Grizzlies and clearly wasn't ready for game 7, Mitchell's ankle reduced his mobility) or Joe Ingles on the floor, it's tough to keep anybody from penetrating. 

Then again, I shouldn't say too much about next year because I feel like we may see some big trades this summer with so many players and teams being disgruntled with how things have gone down. There's not a lot of high end talent in free agency, so the trade market should heat up.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I don't venture away from the wrestling boards much, but holy shit was that Hawks win satisfying. Come what may with Milwaukee, the Badstreet Birds have put on a show... #FlushtheProcess #BelieveAtlanta #ATLHOE

7 hours ago, Jiji said:

But Aaron Gordon is garbage water. Hot garbage water. Any notion of him being a difference maker is over after these playoffs. Wade was right all along.

During that little stretch after they got him before Murray got hurt, they looked incredible. Gordon just cutting to the basket with Jokic throwing those perfect passes was the best use of him ever.

Would it have sustained if Murray hadn't been hurt? No idea. But they looked like the best team in the NBA for a bit there.

I'm all in on Phoenix at any rate.

20 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Add Embiid, Simmons, Morey and Doc Rivers to the fraud list.  I think some of them were already on it.

Embiid gave us 28 and 10 on a torn meniscus, so...yeah, not a fraud. His only problem is how soon the window is closing before he Ralph Sampson's himself out of the league.

Choke Rivers is who he is. He'll win you a title if you give him, like, four future Hall-of-Famers. Otherwise...

But Ben SImmons? Who was supposed to be a cross between the next Magic and the next Lebron but turned out to be an overpriced Bruce Bowen? Yeah he's a complete fraud.

And The Process is weird because  even in failing The Process just proved that it's philosophy is correct. I mean the whole thought process of The Process is that the NBA draft is a crap shoot, moreso than ever with the one-and-done era of college ball and the emergence of European players. Even with all those picks the Sixers only really hit with Embiid. SImmons was a bust, but so were Jahlil Okafor and Nerlens Noel, two very solid picks from major college teams. Meanwhile, I dunno, you could go back to 2009 and draft some no-name scrote out of Arizona State and ten years later he's 35 ppg wonder James Harden. So The Process failed, but it failed because it was right. Or something like that.

9 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

So Rivers is no fraud because he has a ring or is he half a fraud because he has A ring but not rings? Those rules are complicated... 

Rivers didn't get a ring this year.  Fraud.

Yeah, but Harden has NEVER won one lol. Not with KD and Westbrook and Ibaka, not with CP3, not with Westbrook, and now not with KD and Kyrie. 

The funny thing is that if they win next year, he's gonna be seen as the third wheel and not "the guy".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If you had said Rony Seikaly, I would have banned you. 

Fun fact!  I used to live in a neighborhood with Rony Seikaly's family.  Lovely people.  He was tall.  That's about all I remember.  I was pretty little at the time. 

(Not in Houston)

• Like 1