DVDVR Message Board

2021 NBA PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

I think it is okay if we only have one thread for the most infuriating playoff system in recent memory

EAST

#1 Philadelphia vs. #8 TBD

#2 New Jersey vs. #7 Boston (7)/Washington (8) Winner

#3 Milwaukee vs. #6 Miami

#4 New York vs. #5 Atlanta

EAST PLAY-IN

#7 Boston vs. #8 Washington - Winner is #7 Seed

#9 Indiana vs. #10 Charlotte - Winner advances.  Loser goes Home

7/8 LOSER vs. 9/10 WINNER - Winner is #8 Seed

WEST

#1 Utah vs. #8 TBD

#2 Phoenix vs. #7 LA Lakers (7)/Golden State (8) Winner

#3 Denver vs. #6 Portland

#4 LA Clippers vs. #5 Dallas

WEST PLAY-IN

#7 LA Lakers vs. #8 Golden State - Winner is #7 Seed

#9 Memphis vs. #10 San Antonio - Winner advances.  Loser goes Home

7/8 LOSER vs. 9/10 WINNER - Winner is #8 Seed

It wasn't until last night when I was checking the schedule that I realized I didn't know how the play-in portion of the tournament worked. Whatever article I was reading was explaining it and I felt like an idiot trying to understand it. "Surely it can't be this complicated," I thought.

Then I went to the NBA site and saw their bracket, and it's not "complicated" but it's not....it's not how I'd chose to do this, let's just say that.

Like I feel like everyone was hyping the idea that Lakers/Warriors would be a go home game and it's not.

• Like 1

Did they say this play-in is a one (more) time thing because of the shortened season? Or will we be blessed with a 7th seed western conference team threatened with no playoffs again next year? It's very entertaining but that's a raw deal. Almost as raw as the Suns busting their ass all year and likely ending up with the Lakers in the first round. Steph is in god mode right now though so the Warriors could beat anybody in just a single game format. 

And my confusion over the Portland/Dallas thing is down to the division being a three way tie. Strange season.

• Like 1

hoping for a Nets / Suns final. 

Really hoping one of Harden / Paul / Capela / Tucker / Ariza get the ring they deserved in 2018. 

Really hope the Lakers blow it in the play-in and Westbrook clowns himself like we all know he will. 

Rockets will see y'all in the playoffs next year.

52 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Did they say this play-in is a one (more) time thing because of the shortened season? Or will we be blessed with a 7th seed western conference team threatened with no playoffs again next year? It's very entertaining but that's a raw deal. 

As of right now - it was approved on a one year deal.

The NBA really really wants it to become permanent.

I think the fly in the ointment is going to be that I don't think you are going to easily get the players to approve it this time.

• Like 2

Especially after LeBron was so vocal about it not being such a good idea (only after the Lakers were in the conversation of course and he had previously said it was a good idea). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Whoever convinced him to put the unbuttoned dress shirt over the jersey must really fuckin' hate him.

This is a New York City mayor in the 8th year of his mayoralty.  

There are literally 8.4 million of us who could fit that description. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, I knew that everyone who lived in NYC hated him, I just didn't know the people who worked for him did, too.  Not surprising, though, that guy sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jiji said:

This has been pathetic so far from Charlotte. Maybe the 9/10 seed stuff isn't such a good idea, lol.

So we get Charlotte with almost no effort going up against a Wizards team who is 2 great talents and a bunch of guys would could be all stars in the D League but that is about it.  

Tonight

Indiana at Washington

Tomorrow (Friday)

Memphis at Golden State

Saturday (All Game 1s)

• Miami at Milwaukee
  • Dallas at LA Clippers
  • Boston at Brooklyn
  • Portland at Denver

Sunday (All Game 1s)

• Indy/Wash at Philly
  • LA Lakers at Phoenix
  • Atlanta at New York
  • Memphis/GS at Utah

That game last night was a classic. LeBron killing the Warriors with a Steph shot was so awesome. I was hoping Steph was going to jack from half court in front of the double team trap at the end. 

Memphis/Spurs was also fun. I have watched more Grizzlies games this year than any other team save for the Sixers. Charlotte got all the hipster hype as most fun team in the league but I think that title belongs to Memphis. Ja Morant’s commitment to trying to do the literal impossible (trying to win a game in OT with a T-Mac at the buzzer that he almost friggin’ got) combines with their awesome young core that plays really well together and some of the best named guys in the league (Desmond Bane). And since they are so young and struggle with shooting from deep, they are also really big on coughing up leads late. I hope we get a good Ja versus Steph duel. 

I think we are sleeping on Portland to make a big run. They are finally healthy and their defense has become not-so-bad the past few weeks. Denver is missing Murray. Dame is the best. Lakers/Suns could be a battle and the Lakers have been banged up all year. Getting past the Lakers breaks this wide open. 

Does anyone really take the Jazz seriously as a #1 seed (against Steph and GS)?  Does anyone take the Suns seriously as a #2 seed (against the Lakers)?  I can see both losing in the first round. 

Hell, I don't believe in Denver or Portland either, so maybe I'm just a hater. 

I don't think you are alone

That seemed to be the big reason while folks were still considering the Lakers the favorite despite having to go through the play-in

West is as open as it has been since prior to the GSW dynasty. East feels like one of the top 3. I know Nets is the easy answer but Giannis and particularly Embiid should feast inside should we get there.