DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing III - 5/30/2021

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I know it's come up already with regard to The Giant doing color on Elevation, but I am eagerly looking forward to someone like a Ricky Starks or an MJF eventually forcing Henry out from behind the desk to deliver a motherfucking wig splitting

Qasbg26.gif

Mark Henry bringing back the Hall of Pain. That's what I do!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

That was a fun show from start to finish. Aside from the absurd run time, the whole show was really good. There wasn't any one match that was overly bad. Hell, even Cody vs. Ooggo...which I thought would be bad ended up being pretty good (Cody winning withstanding).

I did hate The Bucks retaining though. Unless Santana and Ortiz are the next logical contenders, I cant think of anyone who is going to beat them right now. 

Kenny vs. Orange Cassidy is a feud that needs to continue. A proper one on one match would be fun stuff.

Stadium Stampede II I thought was not as good as the original...but it certainly wasn't bad. FTR & Tully dressing up for a Bunkhouse Stampede was pretty damn epic. I thought the bar fight portion could have been better, but it was fun while it lasted.

Overall a good show. Just too damn long.

#FTR, Santana/Ortiz, Moxley/Kingston in a rematch or a combination from the Dark Order. I too was hoping Mox/Kingston would beat the Bucks. #FTR are due a longer reign.

I see Miro losing the TNT Championship when the time comes to either John Silver, Jungle Boy or Orange Cassidy.

Edited by The Natural

I stayed up until 5am to watch this live, haven't slept much this morning, so excuse me if this isn't the most coherent post on the boards today.

I don't know why the Bucks ever thought they could pretend to be likable. I'm still not sure whether I want them to be champions (or even on TV,) but they are a billion times better as heels. I do maybe feel like Kingston and Mox should have gone over, but I do get this sense that they want their tag champions to be a "real" tag team.

Battle Royale was alright. Possibly getting into the realm of Fantasy Booking here, but Lio Rush strikes me as the final form of Private Party. I would not be opposed to some sort of feud between him and Matt Hardy for their souls at some point. I would also not have been opposed to Hobbs marmalising everyone for the win, but hey ho. Jungle Boy will do. I have no idea why JR felt the need to stress the Jack that isn't in his name, though. Speaking of JR, if he ever mentions hiccups again, his broadcast colleagues (and anyone else on the planet, for that matter,) have my permission to slap him. I can't imagine that permission is worth a whole lot, but I can dream.

The less said about Cody the better.

Was flagging during the title match. What I saw needed more Pac, but that might have been while my eyes were fluttering. Got annoyed by the shenanigans. Is that a good thing? Hmm. I would definitely consider amending the rules to Triple Threats to say that while you can't instantly win by DQ, you can be disqualified out of them; and even potentially lose the title if it goes on to a clean finish.

Enjoyed Stadium Stampede, particularly the brawly bits. I'm looking at the two big lads when I type this. Sammy with the babyface fire was a highlight, too. Whoever described Spears' bits as being like "Under Siege 3" had it spot on though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I stayed up until 5am to watch this live, haven't slept much this morning, so excuse me if this isn't the most coherent post on the boards today.

I don't know why the Bucks ever thought they could pretend to be likable. I'm still not sure whether I want them to be champions (or even on TV,) but they are a billion times better as heels. I do maybe feel like Kingston and Mox should have gone over, but I do get this sense that they want their tag champions to be a "real" tag team.

Battle Royale was alright. Possibly getting into the realm of Fantasy Booking here, but Lio Rush strikes me as the final form of Private Party. I would not be opposed to some sort of feud between him and Matt Hardy for their souls at some point. I would also not have been opposed to Hobbs marmalising everyone for the win, but hey ho. Jungle Boy will do. I have no idea why JR felt the need to stress the Jack that isn't in his name, though. Speaking of JR, if he ever mentions hiccups again, his broadcast colleagues (and anyone else on the planet, for that matter,) have my permission to slap him. I can't imagine that permission is worth a whole lot, but I can dream.

The less said about Cody the better.

Was flagging during the title match. What I saw needed more Pac, but that might have been while my eyes were fluttering. Got annoyed by the shenanigans. Is that a good thing? Hmm. I would definitely consider amending the rules to Triple Threats to say that while you can't instantly win by DQ, you can be disqualified out of them; and even potentially lose the title if it goes on to a clean finish.

Enjoyed Stadium Stampede, particularly the brawly bits. I'm looking at the two big lads when I type this. Sammy with the babyface fire was a highlight, too. Whoever described Spears' bits as being like "Under Siege 3" had it spot on though.

Hey! Welcome to the party, pal. It's rough watching WWE, AEW and UFC go live where we are. I've only had 45 minutes sleep.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I can't stay up for them on my own, so when I do, it's always because I'm at someone else's house watching it, so getting back home is always more of an adventure than it needs to be, too. However, today being a Bank Holiday helps a lot. As does Full Gear being a Saturday. Might have to give All Out a swerve though.

Just realised I missed my overall conclusion: I went to some effort to watch this show, and don't feel gypped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I can't stay up for them on my own, so when I do, it's always because I'm at someone else's house watching it, so getting back home is always more of an adventure than it needs to be, too. However, today being a Bank Holiday helps a lot. As does Full Gear being a Saturday. Might have to give All Out a swerve though.

Just realised I missed my overall conclusion: I went to some effort to watch this show, and don't feel gypped.

Yeah, it sucks when you put that effort in and it's not worth it. I've had that with WWE, UFC and only once or twice with AEW PPVs. I nearly turned All Out 2020 off with how Matt Hardy getting KTFO was handled. Here's hoping this year's All Out is better. Saturday shows are preferable to Sunday ones. The Bank Holiday helps. Bigger still, it's my Dad's Birthday today. Happy Birthday, Dad!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

My brain is okay with Cody winning because veteran presence.  My stomach is like nah fuck that shit.

I am really happy that Britt won, but now I am sad that Shida spent most of her title reign working in empty arenas. 

The Stampede match was fucking crazy.  Everyone played their parts well and Sammy Guevara is the future of the biz.

I am assuming the Bucks beating Kingston and Mox was supposed to give them an aura of toughness, but it just exposed the biz.   Those two vanilla midgets should've been massacred by a pair of violent street psychopaths like Mox and Eddie Kingston.  I'm also bummed that Eddie hasn't had any sort of title run yet.  AEW now has all heels as champs now that DMD hold's the women's belt, so you'd think that Mox & King could've at least won the titles on the PPV and then maybe dropped them back to the Bucks in a month or so

The Battle Royale was a battle royale.  Now we know why Lio Rush dropped the MLW Middleweight belt back to Myron Reed last month.

Miro vs Archer needs to be a lasting feud.  This title match shouldn't be the blow-off.  It might be cool to have Jake turn on Archer and begin managing Miro.

God bless Sting.  There is still fight in the old dog and his physical limitations are best hidden when he is in tag matches.  I have no desire to see him work a singles match at this point in his career.  It will ruin my childhood.  Darby, Ethan, and Sky were all awesome but that finish was a bit of a kerfufle.

Kenny Omega is not as awesome as he thinks he is.  It would've been better if Orange had won and Kenny had pulled a sneaky contract thing so that Orange had inadvertently captured the valueless TNA vanity while Kenny retained the belts of actual worth.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Gotta love JR’s glowing review of the women’s title match with the call of “the match made sense”. ?

Sting is a madman.

Someone please get Cody off my tv.

Lio Rush. lol

Why exactly did the Young Bucks retain? Ugh.

I fell asleep for the last two matches. This ppv was way too long.

Edited by Overly Critical Man
  • Like 1

Hell of a show, start to finish. Even the worst match (Rhodes vs Ogogo) was still pretty good, just overlong and meandering. Although the other long matches felt well paced and the right length.

So Homicide used to call his Vertebreaker the Cop Killa. I hereby dub Cody's version the Cop Caller. That match really killed the crowd, and it took Miro doing a lot of firing up to get them back.

If there really is tension between the EVPs, Omega doing a Dusty finish in the World title match was a way better Dusty tribute than anything Dusty's own son did on the show. It does kind of feel like Kenny's doing a very Meta parody of an Ace character, while Cody is doing a skewed, non-self aware Ace character that isn't supposed to be a parody.

• Haha 5

Everyone was hyping up Britt/Shida but I thought Deeb/Riho was better.

Page/Cage was a hot opener and one of the better matches of the night, although there was a bit too much big movez kickouts.

I'm actually ok with the Bucks winning. They're great as heels and as much as they are characters I want to see the brakes beaten off of, I'd rather they give the rub to an established team. 

Rush's debut was pretty unceremonious. Him turning up in AEW wasn't that surprising considering how tight he is with Janella. I'm wondering if this was a one-off or if he's going to be around for a while. He seems to have a busy indy schedule. Jungle Boy winning the BR was the best choice.

Speaking of new people to the roster, wasn't Mark Henry responsible for a lot of the recruiting in non-wrestling areas for the past few years in the WWE? I could see him fulfilling a similar role for AEW. The last time he was on tv he looked like he could barely walk.

Was Cody intentionally dressing up like Homelander from The Boys? If they were going for some story of "overzealous American face is actually a jingoistic heel but doesn't realize it" which would be in keeping with such a costume, but that level of self-awareness isn't there. The match was about as good as you can get out of a guy who has basically never wrestled before and I was kind of surprised at how subdued Cody's entrance was.

Miro/Archer was exactly what it needed to be. I hope we get plenty more of Miro wrecking fools.

I was surprised that Sting was somewhat mobile and willing to bump

The world title three way overdelivered for me. I'm not a fan of Omega and think Pac is past due for a main event run now that injuries and travel issues are no longer an issue. While I like Cassidy, I don't see him as a main event guy, but this match told the story of a lower card/underestimated guy showing he can hang and pick his spots to the point where you actually think he has a chance. It's tough successfully get that across in a match and it's one of the most compelling stories when it's done just right.

The stadium stampede didn't interest me and I was ready for the show to be over at that point.

While JR didn't say anything overly embarrassing, he sounded especially old and out of it tonight. I'm all for replacing him with Calis (providing he plays a color role) at some point.

@Technico Support's probably loathed Cody Rhodes for the longest time here will be thrilled by people joining him on that vessel and I understand why. Let a groan out when Rhodes won with the Vertebreaker of all things and not his main finish. Rhodes taking the gut punches as well.

Still feel Mox/Kingston should have beat the Bucks for the AEW World Tag Team Championships. My Match of the Night. What was yours?

I also felt the PPV could have done with time shaving off, like 30 minutes or so. Some matches went on a tad too long.

Having that, I really enjoyed this show and thought it was one of AEW's best PPVs. I'd still rate Full Gear 2020 as the best of the lot with #FTR/Young Bucks ***** dream match, Jon Moxley/Eddie Kingston and Kenny Omega/Adam Page.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Did Dustin Rhodes accidentally throw Max Caster's timing off? Because it seemed like he was right in the flow, and then he suddenly lost it, and then never said anything about Powerhouse Hobbs. His Christian Cage line was really good though. You can really tell how The Acclaimed are going to be super over as babyfaces now there's fan there.

Very good show top to bottom.  Bucks vs. Moxston stole it for me.  I love Brandon Cutler as the suck-ass butler punching bag. That face Mox made when he looked up at Matt.  More “doot doot doot” beards.  That has heat with me, brother.

Jungle Boy remains a very compelling character to me.  He is poised to be elevated (most likely in the context of losing).  I just hope they are careful not to let too much air out of the balloon.

• Like 2

So, which EVP/Booker forced JR at gunpoint to give Kenny a verbal blow job during the opening rundown?  That was about as bad an asskissing as he's ever done.

Aside from that, that show was pretty fun and enjoyable over all.

Aside from Homelander Cody (and yes. I'm NOT going to shit on Kenny or the Bucks, they were alright aside from the tag finish looking a little soft)

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I see Miro losing the TNT Championship when the time comes to either John Silver, Jungle Boy or Orange Cassidy Cody.

FTFY.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Shawn Spears' "First, Easiest Boss in an Arcade Beat 'Em Up" energy is off the charts.

Has anyone called him "Glass Joe" yet? Obviously, that's not even close to a "first boss", but still...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Has anyone called him "Glass Joe" yet? Obviously, that's not even close to a "first boss", but still...

He's obviously Chair Man, and the first of Wily's robots you defeat so you can use the Chair Shield on the next opponent, Tully Man.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 2