DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing III - 5/30/2021

I'd predict that if Bryan Danielson is at Double or Nothing (which I'd give like a 20-25 percent chance), he will not be part of the battle royal but appear elsewhere (maybe after the title match). Also, while I'm one of the biggest Hangman cheerleaders on this board and he can do little wrong in my eyes, I think that you have to scrap the title plan for him and put the title on Danielson if he signs at All Out (maybe have beat Miro for the TNT title in the interim, then have win the World Title in a year or so from say MJF).

I think Andrade would be a great call for the mystery guy in the battle royal, and hope for him to rotate between AEW and New Japan (joining up with his old mate Naito in LIJ there).

4 hours ago, just drew said:

I mean, Getting any two of Andrade, Daga, Tessa, Bryan, Enzo, Cass, Billie and/or Peyton would be a "big" night and I'd consider that pretty fun.

Any two? Bryan alone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the other seven combined.

Not that I expect anything. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yeah I don't agree with scrapping their two year long storyline with Hangman just because they sign Bryan Danielson or whatever. That is not the way.

"Two year long storyline" = drunken pouting and playing grab-ass on a lawnmower to bide time, lol. Ok. Long-term storytelling!

They're lucky they're going to get overeager audiences starved for entertainment coming off this pandemic. It's going to make their intentional cooldowns look like they make any kind of sense. 

Danielson vs Omega and crowning Danielson is of course the way, if Danielson is actually making a move. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

There's two things Danielson's really good at. One is working the neo-World of Sport entertainment style he did in the Holiday Camp shows in England, which would make him very good at playing up the 'nonplussed at what Orange Cassidy is doing' schtick. The other is high intensity professional wrestling, which would dovetail perfectly with the 'Orange Cassidy is really good when he tries' thing. Very few wrestlers in AEW are as suited to getting the most out of Danielson match, as Orange Cassidy is.

• Like 7

Genuinely shocked at the number of people who’ve convinced themselves there’s even the slightest chance that Bryan does anything besides re-sign with WWE.  He doesn’t care anymore.  All the name dropping of people and places he’d like to work is just that—a work.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

Riho vs. Serena Deeb on the Buy In for the NWA Title could steal the whole show the way Serena's been going. 

Any Serena Deeb matches I should seek out in particular? Want to see some before I update my Best AEW Matches list. Thanks.

Her work against Thunder Rosa also ought be sought out.

If people want to talk WWE missing people, having her coaching and not also wrestling is front of the line. Tay Conti can take a number.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
My phone hates someone’s name
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

She has only had 2 matches vs. Riho from the 1st Round of the Tournament & a couple of weeks back vs. Red Velvet for the NWA title. 

23 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Her work against Thunder Rosa also ought be sought out.

If people want to talk WWE missing people, having her coaching and not also wrestling is front of the line. Tay Conti can take a number.

21 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Matches against Rosa. 

Cheers for the recommendations!

Pretty excited for the show tonight even though the results are mostly predictable.

It might be expected for Cody to beat Ogogo but I'm not so sure. I just watched the weigh-in for the first time and it's been a while since something has been presented and built up to this degree that feels less important and interesting with each passing week. QT being all "HE BEAT HIM BY ONE POUND SO HE'LL WIN SUNDAY" was really weird, like a crazy person who shouts nonsense in public. It doesn't help that QT's whole deal makes no sense. He broke away and formed his own gang, beat up Dustin and Cody and all that, THROWS PAINT~ on the wall of Cody's gym, it's heated stuff! Then he loses one match to Cody on TV before one of his green charges is quickly thrust into a Rocky IV homage and starts being built as a killer. I don't watch every bit of AEW content so maybe it was addressed on YouTube but as a fan that only watches Dynamite it's weird. Anyway, Ogogo wins to set up a heroic comeback for Cody later.

I think the Bucks retain and Moxley leaves for real to help with his new kid but I thought he'd be gone after Revolution for the same reason so what do I know?

The battle royal is, by default, the least predictable match especially with a surprise entrant. Christian wins to set up a feud with Kenny that'll last a few weeks. If Andrade is the surprise entrant he'd better win.

Speaking of, there's no way Kenny loses. I'd shit myself if OC was given a freak win just for Kenny to get it back when they get back to their usual Dynamite timeslot. This will NOT happen but we also live in a reality where Jinder Mahal was a world champion for months. Poor Bastard Pac. He needs more to work with.

Cage beats Page, who turns face postmatch. I'd love to see him throw the FTW belt at Team Taz's feet and be all "I don't need this shit."

The Baker/Shida match is sadly the most foregone conclusion of the night. It'll be fun to watch but it's a shame this doesn't feel like a huge match that's been brewing since March. The "TNTDMDrama" Twitter handle shall come to pass.

In another match that's been telegraphed as hell but will hopefully be fun to watch without the goofy Matt Hardy stuff, The Pinnacle wins Stadium Stampede. I can't even begin to guess how this all goes down but the ending is pretty clear. They aren't going to top Hangman chasing people on a horse but they'll try.

Lance Archer is going to be sacrificed tonight to the force of nature that is Miro. Over/under on time Jake Roberts sticks out like a sore thumb on the hard camera is set at 4:15.

Looking forward to Discord bullshitting!

I don’t know if it’s been specifically explained as such on air (nor should it have to be), but you pretty much laid out what the story is on the QT/Ogogo thing:  QT took his best shot at Cody and was soundly beaten, so now he’s hiding behind his biggest, baddest student, hoping Ogogo can finish the job that he couldn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don’t know if it’s been specifically explained as such on air (nor should it have to be), but you pretty much laid out what the story is on the QT/Ogogo thing:  QT took his best shot at Cody and was soundly beaten, so now he’s hiding behind his biggest, baddest student, hoping Ogogo can finish the job that he couldn’t.

Okay then, thanks, at least I have the chain of events right. I think when they started this US/UK part of the Family/Factory feud it scrambled my brains.

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:
Bombs slugfest. Big manly men slapping meat.

(GeorgeTakei.gif)

EDIT: I forgot about Darby/Sting versus The Jerks (whoever it was here who started calling them that, thanks). Darby could use a rebound win here but I think Sting eats the fall after Darby does something insane and wipes himself out. They've really only just put The Jerks together, can't lose their first real feud. Right? 

Edited by Sex Machine Gun

Assuming Omega and Miro retain, and Baker wins the title.....that puts all the belts on heels if the Bucks also retain. With Bucks rattling through defences, I can see Mox and Kingston picking up the belts to drop them to FTR or the Jerks down the line.

You could make the case for a heel winning every one of these matches save the battle royal. I don't think it will go down that way.

South-Park-Gifs

The Bucks still have some big potential title programs left out there.  Best Friends, Jurassic Express, Dark Order.

I think the Best Friends and Dark Order programs are very likely to happen, given that the Kenny/Cassidy angle may continue after tonight, and Kenny/Hangman seems like a lock for All Out.  It would just be inevitable that the Bucks would get involved with the challenger’s buddies.  Would love to see Best Friends get a run.

Jurrasic Express have only challenged for the tag belts once in 2 years (last August), so they would seem due for another go soon, if that team is going to continue to be an ongoing concern.