DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Hey, he's using the Troggs version and not the superior X's version.  So at least there's that.

The Troggs were so punk rock.  They ruled.   and that Allin/Miro match ruled!

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Well, the Hangman arc they've been building for - what, a year or two? - does need a payoff. Hangman winning the TNT title might seem like an anticlimax after so long.

He’s been playing in lawnmower land too long for this to feel like an urgent need. This company would do well to learn about what you’re supposed to do while an iron’s hot. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This company would do well to learn about what you’re supposed to do while an iron’s hot. 

i mean miro

Edited by Dog

They are going to heat Hangman up again over the summer. That will be fine. But, for tonight, I am most excited about what the future holds for Darby. The long-term directions seem pretty wide open. For now, a tag match with Sting against Ego and Scorpio will be fine I guess.

Edited by Jiji

So, Stadium Stampede but with fans in Daily's Place. So are they going to move the fans to the other, bigger building, or just make them watch on the big screen? Or do the Piper vs Goldust/ Boiler Room Brawl thing of pre-taping most of it, but doing the finish in front of the fans?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

So, Stadium Stampede but with fans in Daily's Place. So are they going to move the fans to the other, bigger building, or just make them watch on the big screen? Or do the Piper vs Goldust/ Boiler Room Brawl thing of pre-taping most of it, but doing the finish in front of the fans?

On a show where we’re getting a full house, I’d prefer whichever format involves them the most. 

They’ll probably watch it on the big screen like last week - everything before Blood and Guts was taped and shown to the audience on the screen, but the crowd noise was live as it happened.

Moxley vs Nagata was paint by numbers. Some stiff kicks at the end, but otherwise they could have had this match in their sleep. Haven't seen a Nagata match for a couple years and he looked old.

What in the good fuck was that Cody promo? Anyone? No idea

I already said before that running the Careers vs Titles match on TV rather than PPV was kinda dumb and I stick by it. It was OK match, they did as much as they could. Heel Troll Bucks are terrible, and Daniels is at retirement stage, but in fairness Kaz has actually become one of the most solid veterans they have and helped keep this from being a total shitshow. Michaels vs Flair was 13 years ago, doing that spot just felt so dated and lame. I did bite on some of the nearfalls at the end I will admit. Bucks then doing a trash heel promo where they lay out the challenge for TWO matches is dumb. I don't think these guys 'get' how to be heels.

The pivot to Moxley/Kingston vs Bucks rather than vs Omega is disappointing. Can anyone honestly say they'd rather see that tag title match and the threeway with PAC and OC than a threeway with Moxley and Kingston? Speaking of, PAC vs OC was fine, clearly not as good as their first match but it's a different situation entirely. Still, neither feels like they should be getting a PPV title shot and this threeway reeks of filler.

Page avenging his loss to Cage at the PPV and probably an angle with Cage leaving Team Taz is fine. Longs out the Page title shot for a little longer. As a match them doing 20 minutes of even-stevens probably won't be as fun as the squash a couple weeks ago, but it's fine.

I enjoyed Tully handing out the watches and the Pinnacle segment. Jericho coming back this week is questionable - they couldn't have had Sammy or Hager do the talking for once to sell the injury? Shit like that just makes it clear everyone else is supporting cast rather than main players. I am fine with them running it back with Stadium Stampede and AEW cementing that as a signature match. Having the WarGames be the lead-in for the Stadium Stampede match feels the wrong way round, but let's see how it plays out. Stipulation of IC having to break up definitely adds more juice and intrigue to it so I'm down.

Jade Cargill's 'I'm that bitch' catchphrase is going to catch on very quickly.

Main event was awesome. Everything it needed to be. Miro looked dominant, and Darby showed tonnes of heart and fight and still was protected by the injury. Very, very good stuff. Loved Darby getting fired up from the FIST BUMP with Stinger. I'm still expecting Sting/Darby vs Page/Sky in a cinematic match at the PPV, and it looks like Miro vs Archer too, though that could be for TV.

I enjoyed this week though there is a lot of very questionable booking in the big picture here

What I love about wrestling is if you could go back 5 years ago and tell somebody a match that happened, they would think they're crazy. In this case it was the former Dean Ambrose with Eddie Kingston in his corner fighting Yuji Nagata for a NJPW belt on a show run by The Elite airing on TNT. You get locked up for saying something like that... 

• Like 7

Good lord, Cody Rhodes. What the fuck are you babbling on about, mate? “The most self-aware wrestler”? This man has lost his mind. Tony needs to get Cody in his bus, tell him they’re gonna go full Lex-Express, send Cody on tour around the good old USA for 6 months, and drive it off the fucking Grand Canyon. What an abysmal promo, is what I’m trying to say.

Miro/Darby was excellent, and I could watch that every week. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Miro/Darby was excellent, and I could watch that every week. 

The scary thing is, Darby would be willing to actually do it every week.

• Haha 1

I was saying to @Nice Guy Eddie as we watched the show; I wish Mox would use the X version of "Wild Thing", A: because its a better version (both are good) and B: somewhere down the line, you can bring Onita in and have him bitch about the music and threaten to show Mox what a REAL exploding ring match is like. I think that's a good pay off.

That Cody promo. I typically cut him a lot of slack, but that promo was all kinds of weird and gross and jingoistic. I swear, I thought he was going to announce a run for governor more than a match against Ogogo. That promo was *tugs on collar* really, bad. 

Ok, I can't drop it. What in the fuck. That was the most tone deaf shit ever. I think if that promo were cut most anywhere else, he would have been booed just for how gross it was.

I'm in the minority...I don't like the Troggs version of Wild Thing for Moxley's entrance. I wish he used the version from Major League. I believe it's also the version Onita used for his entrances.

The water/bubbly bath was a fun little callback. I get Jericho can't do much and is in a brace, but it would have been better to stay off tv. Do some guerilla war type shit and start taking Pinnacle dudes out one after another to force the issue and annoy Pinnacle and MJF so much that they agree to a rematch.

The rest of the show? Nearly awesome. Dug the hell out of Moxley vs Nagata, thought SCU vs Bucks was very good but it didn't need all of the interference shit, PAC vs OC was great until PAC knocked OC da fuck out on that power bomb, and RIP Darby's body. Everything Miro does is so violent and stiff looking, but no one ever complains about him being stiff.

• Like 5

So where was Santana that they had to hand-wave him off the show with the "arrest" for using a fork during a wrestling match that involved barbed wire, chairs, other plunder, dudes getting thrown off roofs etc?

Speaking of guys getting tossed off roofs, there was no earthly reason for Jericho to be in the building a week after falling to his near-doom. If you need him to cut the promo, have him do it from his hospital bed on the video board, then he can direct traffic for the Inner Circle over the speakers. I dunno, maybe the "bubbly" used water from Lourdes.

I was dreading another "DARBY WINS LOL" result so I was pleasantly surprised at the clean switch. Miro is a GD beast. Sting isn't doing anything for me at ringside... he's more of a chaperone than a manager, looking stern and ordering opponents not to get involved in the match, even when it's as innocuous as Luchasaurus helping Jungle Boy into the ring when he fought Darby last month. Meh.

• Like 1

On the Cody promo (which really was garbage), I (as an Irishman) found it really hard to get on board with the "America, Fuck Yeah" sentiment when one of his examples of how great America is, is that within the lifetime of 2/3s of their commentary booth there was racial segregation in the country, and "haven't we come so far now". I dunno, just hit all the wrong notes and seemed tone deaf to me. 

Anyway, even though it seemed to knock OC loopy, I loved the snap in the liger bomb from Pac. That and Darby's tope where he bounced off Miro were my 2 favourite moves of the night. 

I kinda love the way AEW builds to their PPVs longform but only announces actual matches 2/3 weeks out. Keeps ya guessing, which I enjoy. 

Kudos to the person who pointed out how incongruous the flute solo in Wild Thing is, I was laughing hard when that hit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Meltzer said Santana was sick (didn't specify what type of sick)

Also both Alvarez and Meltzer assumed (but both said this was them just guessing) that Christian was supposed to face Ricky Starks next week (which obviously can't happen) so they had to pivot

Regarding OC and the finish

It was always going to be a 3 way at the PPV. They were going to do to the 20 minute draw. So when OC got knocked out (or almost knocked out)  and started basically working with a concussion they had to call the audible to get to the non-finish (since there was no way OC was making it another 5 minutes)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

Did Cody say that Ogogo got his visa from DOT?

He did indeed say he got a visa courtesy of the US DoT.  I am sure all US Department of State fans were cringe.

It felt like that scene in Animal House where Bluto mentions the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor in his rally speech.

"Germans?"

"Don't stop him.  He's on a roll."

Besides, why be upset?  It is a totally American thing for us to have no fucking clue about the structure of US governmental agencies.  Hell, I don't think I could point out Rhode Island on a map if my life depended on it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4