DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

So hypothetically his contract ends and he's a free agent. Does anyone really see him returning to WWE? Or going to, like, Impact or the NWA? (Assuming they still exist in 2023)

5 hours ago, Log said:

I almost think, in a weird way, that Miro floundering a bit (IMO) when he first came in has made his switch to monster even more satisfying.  I guess it was like a delayed gratification thing for me.

I will agree with your underlying premise that things I find stupid make things I enjoy look better by comparison. That's a very reasonable perspective and you're on safe ground there. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Amazingly and yet totally not, in Cornette's "review" of the match, he said it's too late and no one one can ever take Miro seriously again because of the video game stuff. And it's like, motherfucker, did you watch the same thing I did? My jaded-ass smark heart was still pounding 10 minutes after The Accountant (I assume) had started.

I wonder if Jim thought the same thing about Ronnie Garvin after he was "Ms Atlanta Lively"? ??

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

I wonder if Jim thought the same thing about Ronnie Garvin after he was "Ms Atlanta Lively"? ??

He used it to mock him in heel promos long, long after it was relevant or did anything positive to build a match. So maybe?

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Amazingly and yet totally not, in Cornette's "review" of the match, he said it's too late and no one one can ever take Miro seriously again because of the video game stuff. And it's like, motherfucker, did you watch the same thing I did? My jaded-ass smark heart was still pounding 10 minutes after The Accountant (I assume) had started.

No one can ever take Jim Cornette seriously again ?

(It's actually a pretty good match, though, arguably kind of the "Arcade Anarchy of its day) 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He used it to mock him in heel promos long, long after it was relevant or did anything positive to build a match. So maybe?

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking about 2021 JC. To say that Miro is "unsalvageable" while living through Garvin going from MAL to NWA champion is just so...Jim being Jim lol

• Haha 1

Cornette's a gatekeeper to the highest degree. He can fuck off.

I always figured Miro was going to kick Kip Sabian to the curb at some point and just demolish him. 

The gamer stuff wasn't a bad way to debut Miro and give him something to do until they were ready to pull the trigger on him. Plus, we're still stuck in a global pandemic, and wrestling is majorly handicapped with the lack of crowds.

Cornette's big idea for Batista is that he was a monster that came out of a swamp and called him LEVIATHAN.

EDIT:

Here you go everybody. Jim "I don't like hokey shit" Cornette, CUTTING EDGE WRESTLING BOOKING GENIUS! 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Haha 3

Called the Miro swing to greatness pretty early on. To be honest there wasn't much wrong with his presentation fundamentally ever; the problem was assigning him Sabian who is very vanilla/mediocre, and having him in ring with Janela/Kiss at the very beginning. In an era where Youtubers are running up multi-million $ deals boxing Mayweather, the gamer-gimmick in of itself even was not too much of a problem gaining commercial resonance. You just take it in a very dark Mr Robot style direction, where Miro with his blonde hair & manner was reminiscent of Vera. The Butler work was very good; he's developed on a strong track since. My posts from some month back would have been considered complaining but theyve almost wholly come to fruition - amazing the impact when you start focusing on your best singles wrestlers, nail some of the natural role types for the talent instead of having sickly/disingenuous presentations (Face Bucks; a snobbish/privileged Omega that has a limousine instead of $10-an-hour shots girls waving dust-handles etc.) and way way ramp up the quality of attires (these are different level now to late 20/early21). Rhodes is the last problem left really but he's a beast unto himself ..

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

My thing is, they debuted Archer, Cage and Lee more or less identically, which was as monsters of the week for the world champ to slay. 

They should be *applauded* for doing something with Miro. 

And y'all are sleeping on The Accountant, which has what might be the greatest music montage of any action movie ever. You know the one. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

My thing is, they debuted Archer, Cage and Lee more or less identically, which was as monsters of the week for the world champ to slay. 

They should be *applauded* for doing something with Miro. 

And y'all are sleeping on The Accountant, which has what might be the greatest music montage of any action movie ever. You know the one. 

Someone like Miro or Archer recreating the sensory overload scene would be scary as hell, I'm def down for that

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I think NFL Cheerleaders get paid quite a bit more than $10 an hour.

They do not.

According to Cheat Sheet, the common rate of pay for NFL cheerleaders is $150 each game day and $50-75 per public appearance. Each team plays 10 home games — two preseason and eight regular-season contests.

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/nfl-cheerleader-salary/