DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/12/2021

Just now, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Anyway, even though it seemed to knock OC loopy, I loved the snap in the liger bomb from Pac. That and Darby's tope where he bounced off Miro were my 2 favourite moves of the night. 

He was already groggy from the superkick to the face. The powerbomb just added to it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said Santana was sick (didn't specify what type of sick)

Gotcha. Then just say he's sick or that he's so angry at MJF right now that he might try to kill the motherfucker if he's in the same room. Don't put yourself into a corner by saying he got arrested for using a fork in an anything-goes match.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alstein said:

I'm actually hoping Pinnacle wins again, and Inner Circle breaks up.  Would be best for PnP and Sammy, and I don't care about Jericho or Hager.

With such a huge roster, it's my fear that PnP and Sammy will get lost in the sauce if they are on their own.  

The Pinnacle vs. IC feud at least keeps them active and on television.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Fair to say Darby is the best American pro wrestler right now, right? Or at minimum the best babyface, with consideration for Roman Reigns as the best heel.

Shit I want to see that match...

Allin is in that next-level zone right now where he's so locked in he's doing these little things like switching hands on a sleeper hold to sell his arm last night.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

He did indeed say he got a visa courtesy of the US DoT.  I am sure all US Department of State fans were cringe.

It felt like that scene in Animal House where Bluto mentions the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor in his rally speech.

"Germans?"

"Don't stop him.  He's on a roll."

Besides, why be upset?  It is a totally American thing for us to have no fucking clue about the structure of US governmental agencies.  Hell, I don't think I could point out Rhode Island on a map if my life depended on it.

Dude, and he not only said USDOT once, but he said it twice. I'm sitting there thinking, what the fuck...But for a dude with political ambitions, I suppose it's on brand to not know what the fuck each part of the government does.

• Haha 2

I was one of those people that didn’t get Darby at all at first. Skateboarding, I’m half-dead, edgelord… didn’t get get it. 

now I wanna be an edgelord too. I want an emo face-paint daddy too. Do I? Well I want Darby to have one if he wants. When you’re that size you need to throw everything at your opponent. He can’t just do some leg kicks and expect to chop Miro down. He has to put his entire body on the line, and he did that. He’s tremendous. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

MY GOD. That promo. It was one of the worst fucking things I've ever heard. That's shit I expect from a dumbfuck like Josh Hawley or Tom Cotton, not Cody Rhodes.

Coach Tony K, I know you fucking lurk here. Have a talk with your boy. This shit is GROSS.

Ugh. It's seriously one of the worst fucking promos I've heard just for how angry it made me. And yeah, I'm not remotely patriotic, but even if I was, I think that promo would still turn me off.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dude, and he not only said USDOT once, but he said it twice. I'm sitting there thinking, what the fuck...But for a dude with political ambitions, I suppose it's on brand to not know what the fuck each part of the government does.

I guess to check my tone in case folks can't deduce when I am being self-depreciating and satirical.

I would totally mark for Dustin coming out in Red White & Blue facepaint and screwing over his brother in that match with Ogogo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I guess to check my tone in case folks can't deduce when I am being self-depreciating and satirical.

I would totally mark for Dustin coming out in Red White & Blue facepaint and screwing over his brother in that match with Ogogo.

You're misunderstanding me. I was adding on to the first part of your comment for how facepalm worthy repeatedly saying USDOT was. It was clear you were being self-deprecating at the end.

Edited by Craig H
  • Thanks 1

Have said for a year now what an absolute shocker Cody Rhodes is. Glad to see this continue to fester to the point everyone is now aware. Would love to see Rock c. 98 cut a promo on him. Without any shadow of a doubt the absolute worst part of that company. He makes the gimp masks look trivial. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

MY GOD. That promo. It was one of the worst fucking things I've ever heard. That's shit I expect from a dumbfuck like Josh Hawley or Tom Cotton, not Cody Rhodes.

Coach Tony K, I know you fucking lurk here. Have a talk with your boy. This shit is GROSS.

Ugh. It's seriously one of the worst fucking promos I've heard just for how angry it made me. And yeah, I'm not remotely patriotic, but even if I was, I think that promo would still turn me off.

It honestly sounded like something out of a post 9/11 Raw, like he was putting Chris Nowinski or Test in their place for saying the war might be a bad idea

• Like 2

Yes, it was a terrible promo.  What’s weird is that it seemed like a total misread of the AEW audience, who, in general, have never given off the vibe as being as deeply into the jingoistic ‘MERICA stuff as WWE audiences are. Don’t know why anyone thought that would get over.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're misunderstanding me. I was adding on to the first part of your comment for how facepalm worthy repeatedly saying USDOT was. It was clear you were being self-deprecating at the end.

My mistake.  I am totally trying to do nine things at once right now.  I hate it when teleworking actually involves telework.

I totally expect Richard Jewell to accompany him to ringside.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Hell, I don't think I could point out Rhode Island on a map if my life depended on it.

It's the small one.

The further away I get from it, the more it's sinking in that the Cody promo is quite possibly one of the worst of all time. If you're going to argue the Worst Band of All Time, it's pointless to try to figure out which recorded musicians had the least chops. Worst Movie, you can always find one with less budget + less technical know-how. Why? Even if you go down these paths, you'll end up on things of value. The Shaggs, Manos, the Antichrist promo, so on. Talented people spreading stupid messages always dig a deeper pit.

Only a good promo guy can cut something that fucking putrid. I cannot imagine the combination of talent, wealth, and ego it takes to be that bombastically ignorant . Collision in Korea 2021 could open with Gwenyth Paltrow & the Susan G. Komen Children's Choir singing "Born In The USA" in vintage FUBU and it wouldn't be that fucking out-of-touch.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Collision in Korea 2021 could open with Gwenyth Paltrow & the Susan G. Komen Children's Choir singing "Born In The USA" in vintage FUBU and it wouldn't be that fucking out-of-touch

That's God damn tremendous buddy

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My mistake.  I am totally trying to do nine things at once right now.  I hate it when teleworking actually involves telework.

I totally expect Richard Jewell to accompany him to ringside.

lol

But I blame text not being the best way to add on to comments or drive conversations otherwise it would all make more sense, but it would then add a 10th thing for you to do and, like, a 6th thing for me to do.

• Like 1

Cody needs to get back to what worked for him before when AEW started and stop being this quasi-featured act thing. Aside from his stint with the TNT Championship, he just feels very disconnected from the rest of the show. Like, Cody exists in an entirely separate universe from everyone else.

My other problem with the promo goes back to what I said about Eddie Kingston just days ago. Kingston is out there cutting 2 to 3 minute promos and saying a ton in a very restricted amount of time, but it's ultra effective and every time he speaks I want to start punching the air, I want to go fuck someone up for Kingston, and I want to drink the Kool Aid. Cody is out there for what feels like forever saying, well, I don't even fucking know, but he took the longest route imaginable to get to talking about Ogogo.

Not only that, but you got draped by another country's flag. HOW DO YOU NOT BUILD TO A FLAG MATCH?!?

Boy, a lot is bubbling up to the surface here. I used to really dig Cody getting emotional during his promos because it felt real and organic. It now feels very fake and he's just ACTING because he's an ACTOR~! Like, yeah, we get it. You can make your voice quiver and get your eyes to well up with tears. The problem is that we've seen you do that over and over again. 

• Like 3

Maybe the last thing I'll say about Cody. At this point, I don't see an actual need for him in AEW. Much like Brandy was the black hole of booking for the women, Cody is now the black hole of booking for the men. Now, if this were Cody at the start of the promotion and probably for the first 9 to 12 months, I wouldn't have a problem. He was involved with Jericho, he was involved with MJF, and each of those feuds had good builds. It felt connected to AEW overall.

I doubt he's on the way out, but it is weird that he has essentially nothing to do with the Young Bucks, Kenny, Hangman, the Dark Order, MJF, or the Inner Circle.

Finally, his entrance...It's time to stop the "epic" opening to his entrance that leads into the shittier Snoop Dogg version of his music. His entrance should always be, "Wrestling has more than one royal family" and then boom, music starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's the small one.

The further away I get from it, the more it's sinking in that the Cody promo is quite possibly one of the worst of all time. If you're going to argue the Worst Band of All Time, it's pointless to try to figure out which recorded musicians had the least chops. Worst Movie, you can always find one with less budget + less technical know-how. Why? Even if you go down these paths, you'll end up on things of value. The Shaggs, Manos, the Antichrist promo, so on. Talented people spreading stupid messages always dig a deeper pit.

Only a good promo guy can cut something that fucking putrid. I cannot imagine the combination of talent, wealth, and ego it takes to be that bombastically ignorant . Collision in Korea 2021 could open with Gwenyth Paltrow & the Susan G. Komen Children's Choir singing "Born In The USA" in vintage FUBU and it wouldn't be that fucking out-of-touch.

Needs more promoting of Goop to the North Korean people.

• Haha 1

It's quite fascinating that, arguably, 18 months into the promotion's existence Cody, the Bucks, Omega, JR and Jericho are the *worst* parts of the program (with the Bucks definitely on the upswing now, and Omega maybe stabilizing a bit). 

As for that Cody promo, woo boy. An all timer of Babyface Promo Cliche Bingo: pandering to the town, pandering to the owner, mention your kid, mention America, foreign menace, mention stars of the past....

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

you can bring Onita in and have him bitch about the music and threaten to show Mox what a REAL exploding ring match is like

AEW x FMWE?! As they say, I'm all in.

2 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

Did Cody say that Ogogo got his visa from DOT?

According to the subtitles, yes. 

I like how hesitant the crowd was to get into the 'USA' chant. (that was right when I decided to mute) And as far as running as an independent, at least he did say the two-party system was antiquated... but he'd probably just go Libertarian, of course.

• Like 1

I really want to talk about literally anything else but I checked how long Cody's promo went.  It was surprisingly 6 minutes but it felt like it was 12.  I don't know if I'm as upset about it as Craig but on rewatch I was just incredibly frustrated about it all.  I would dare say that he could have a nice and tight 3 minute promo that states his case and that's it.  But it was meandering to start with and went way off the rails after the second minute.  I don't understand what he was going for but it was a big-time miss.  And considering he's feuding with Nightmare Factory I would have focused much more on that with maybe a tiny fraction of it for the flag-draping part.  But nope, we got what we got and man did it suck.

One thing that gives me hope is that at the beginning I swear I heard a couple boos.  Whenever full crowds happen again I would think he'll get the message that some of this stuff just isn't working.  It just sucks because I feel there's a good face in Cody yet after the MFJ feud it went off the rails super fast.

• Like 3