DVDVR Message Board

2021 NHL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tony Esposito has passed away at the age of 78

I have this completely incorrect impression of Tony being a goalie who played from like 1960-75 instead of 1969-84.  So I hear 78 years old and think, "Man, I thought Tony was more like 90...".  RIP to Tony E.  He was a heckuva goalie.

The Red Wings on Tuesday signed Jakub Vrana to a 3yr/15.75m contract, thus avoiding arbitration.  Vrana was outstanding in his short stint with Detroit with 3 game-winning goals, a 4-goal game, and 11 points in 11 games.  He was obtained when Detroit traded Anthony Mantha to Washington for him - and then proceeded to outperform Mantha, who ended up with 8 points in 14 games and continued to be criticized for his effort just as he had been in Detroit.

I would have liked the AAV to be lower than 5.25 but I think Vrana will live up to the salary and Detroit has the cap room to spare.  This is a good signing.

The Jets are up against the cap. Neal Pionk avoids arbitration and gets his well deserved raise and a 4 year deal, but that leaves only about $3.9M to resign Andrew Copp, even factoring in Bryan Little being put back on the LTIR this year. I'm guessing Copp doesn't avoid arbitration, I'm figuring in the $4.5M range or so for him.

So apparently the NHL has two versions of the schedule - one with the break for the Winter Olympics and one without.

If they are unable to reach an agreement about pros playing in the Olympics - they would switch to the schedule without the break.

Teams are... unhappy

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31999350/scheduling-olympics-causes-chaos

"In my own conversations, there are some teams that are acting like this is Armageddon," an NHL team executive told ESPN this week.

The Florida Panthers needed to fulfill their league-mandated quota of one semi-retired player and have signed the desiccated corpse of Joe Thorton to play for them this season. 

No word on whether or not Joe is just doing this so he can scout for places to live in Boca Raton. 

The Red Wings have bought out Frans Nielsen. At least 2 years after everyone wanted him gone. He was signed to an extremely long contract for at least twice as much money as he deserved. And he's been awful. The last two years he's been so bad he wouldn't have made the Grand Rapids roster. Good riddance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Montreal Canadiens first-round pick Logan Mailloux has been suspended indefinitely by the Ontario Hockey League stemming from the defenseman's 2020 conduct that got him fined for an offense of a sexual nature in Sweden.

The Ontario Hockey League announced Thursday that Mailloux could apply for reinstatement starting Jan. 1 and that his conduct "violated the League's expectation of the appropriate conduct of an OHL player."

The Canadiens drafted Mailloux with the 31st overall pick in July's draft even though he had asked teams not to select him.

Mailloux, 18, had been fined by Swedish police last year for invasion of privacy and defamation after he showed a photo to his teammates via Snapchat that depicted him and a woman engaged in a consensual sexual act. The photo was taken without the consent of the woman, who went to local police. Mailloux was not arrested.

He had been expected to play for the OHL's London Knights in 2021-22 after previously being a member of the team in 2019-20.

"A decision regarding reinstatement will be based in part on his conduct since his return to Canada and the appropriate treatment, counselling, mentoring and or education he receives from the date of this decision," the OHL said in its release.

After he was drafted, Mailloux said he believed being selected by the Canadiens would make him a better person.

"It was totally irresponsible and a stupid act that I committed without thinking twice. I know I caused a lot of harm to this person and her family, and I regret doing this stupid and egotistical act. I deeply regret it," Mailloux said in a statement in July. "What I did is now unfortunately a part of both of her life and mine. I've apologized to her, but nonetheless this will follow her for the rest of her life. For that, I deeply and sincerely regret it."

The Canadiens and Mailloux have said they are going to work together on an action plan "to guide him in his development." Mailloux said he has seen a therapist since returning to North America.

Agreement was officially formalized to allow NHL Players to play in the Winter Olympics

HOWEVER - there is an opt out clause. The NHL/NHLPA have the right to pull out if COVID conditions worsen or if due to game cancellations, the NHL needs to the two week break to make up games. Deadline for the opt-out is early January.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Montreal trades two picks to the Coyotes for Christian Dvorak.  

Also...

That worked out really well for the Habs. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for Kotkaniemi, but Dvorak has been a much better player and now they have him for a year longer and $1.5M cheaper.

What a strange off-season for the Canes