DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

FWIW, I thought Darby's bump was much dumber than Jericho's.

Although Alvarez says AEW just padded the set by shoving cardboard boxes under the spot, not an actual crash pad.  Okayyyyyyyy.

Nah.  I’ll still double down on the production side of AEW dropping the ball.  It isn’t the first time.

However, it’s not a deal breaker or anything.  I still need AEW in my life as the antidote to how disappointed I’ve been with WWE.

When Tony Khan says that first Revolution show is the best PPV ever. I’m not that inclined to argue the point.  It’s a phenomenal show that sets a high water mark for what is still a young company.  

So yeah.  They could be doing better.  But I think I’ll also enjoy watching them learn.

I wonder how the reaction to the Wargames with Brian Pillman would have been received in this day and time.  My understanding is that SIDs powerbomb getting caught up on the roof was a botch (along with some audibly called spots).  A botch that definitely worked in the context of the match.  But one where somebody got hurt out of it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Future of Blood & Guts:

When the next one will be? Year's time perhaps?

Where? TV to get a big rating again or PPV?

The participants. The Elite? Dark Order? Nightmare Factory? Pinnacle? Inner Circle? A future stable? Something to see the Elite inside it as it's different from what we usually see them do.

I see weapons usage again with the barbed wire on PPV. I do think they'll keep the action inside the box like structure next time. Least I hope so. Only two times I liked when action spilled outside a cage meant to keep the wrestlers in was WarGames 1992 with Sting/Madusa and Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997.

For however much they spent on the cage they're definitely going to have another one.  But if Jericho's interview is to be believed it's only going to be used when the feud calls for it.  So with no need to have it every May or something just because I hope that we don't see it until late next year.  I do hope they have it be an actual feud-ender next time as that match works when the faces overcome the heels and make them submit/surrender.

• Like 1

Dearest wife,

Its day three of the great crash pad war. I'm beginning to get weary. Water and sustainence are in short supply. The battlefield is littered with soldiers, some who died on the hill blaming production, others who died storming the command, their cries of "it was a bad finish!" piercing the night, like the blade I'd use to skin the chickens back at Paw Paw's farm. Next week's episode and the upcoming PPV shine in the distance as beacons of hope in the darkness; I simply pray I can hold on until then. Please tell the children I am thinking of them.

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 11

12 hours ago, A_K said:

I haven’t seen Caster’s entrance - what was his line? I’m really surprised he hasn’t had more viral engagement - the guy is great. He’s one who will really lift off once crowds are back.

"Varsity Blondes? You're a temporary thing. In 10 years you'll be on Dark Side of the Ring."

Oh, and - QT vs Cody was the high point for the 35-49 female demo. but so was the Britt Baker squash and the Darby Allin/Page/Scorpio segment. DEMO GOD(s). 

Edited by Casey

I'm on Discord right now. Hope it looks OK on you guys end.

Edited by AxB

2 hours ago, Casey said:

"Varsity Blondes? You're a temporary thing. In 10 years you'll be on Dark Side of the Ring."

Oh, and - QT vs Cody was the high point for the 35-49 female demo. but so was the Britt Baker squash and the Darby Allin/Page/Scorpio segment. DEMO GOD(s). 

Ooof, downgrading that diss to "too much, man" after actually watching the dang episode of dark side of the ring

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks. Yeah saw he posted the clip on Twitter, so caught it there; he's definitely getting freedom to push the envelope more week by week. Speaking of which, Caster only has 12k followers, which surprises me given Acclaimed have had a lot of Dynamite exposure for the past 6-9 months. I mean for context, that's only very marginally more than someone like .. Luther. Weird. I'd have thought Caster would have resonated more, but perhaps he's just not for the core crowd.

Edited by A_K

55 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for asking, mate. 8-12 range.

You?

off the cuff, i'd definitely put it in my top 5. Possibly as high as 3. would have to think it over for a while.

• Like 1

Just now, twiztor said:

off the cuff, i'd definitely put it in my top 5. Possibly as high as 3. would have to think it over for a while.

Thank you. I'm going to think mine over as well

I really enjoyed Blood & Guts but I can't see it getting higher than #8 right now.

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for asking, mate. 8-12 range.

You?

I think the last few minutes of the match hurt its quality, though it advanced the storyline (and that was the one issue having this match at early point of this feud, and also why heels winning Blood and Guts is rarely the optimal outcome). It did not detract from the match quite to the level of the Exploding Barbed Wire match (where my big issue was the Good Brothers interference, less so the failed stunt after that), but would say that it knocked the match from the five-plus stars that is was tracking towards to what I'd argue is Meltzer's accurate star rating. I will say that AEW has been a touch off in booking finishes this year after basically a spot on 2020 in that regard (not necessarily the wrong guys winning, but struggling with smart, heel winning finishes after faces won most every big match last year save Brodie's TNT title win and FTR's tag title win).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

I think the last few minutes of the match hurt its quality, though it advanced the storyline (and that was the one issue having this match at early point of this feud, and also why heels winning Blood and Guts is rarely the optimal outcome). It did not detract from the match quite to the level of the Exploding Barbed Wire match (where my big issue was the Good Brothers interference, less so the failed stunt after that), but would say that it knocked the match from the five-plus stars that is was tracking towards to what I'd argue is Meltzer's accurate star rating. I will say that AEW has been a touch off in booking finishes this year after basically a spot on 2020 in that regard (not necessarily the wrong guys winning, but struggling with smart, heel winning finishes after faces won most every big match last year save Brodie's TNT title win and FTR's tag title win).

Yeah, there were things I liked about Blood & Guts: the violence, #FTR, Guevara, Santana and Ortiz. Things I didn't, escaping the cage. I rarely do when that happens. It's a hard match to rank for those reasons. Like you and Meltzer, I had the match at ****1/2.

Edited by The Natural

What if they'd done the same set-up to the finish, only as soon as MJF had started yelling "I'll throw him off", Hager had put Spears back in the ankle lock and Spears tapped? The bell rings, Judas starts playing, Inner Circle are announced as the winners, and *then* MJF shoves Jericho? So the show ends with the commentators talking about winning the battle but losing the war et cetera?

Also, watching it again without the breaks, it's really obvious how they didn't actually do much during the breaks. Jericho climbed the side of the ladder not so much in the style of a Wrestler 20 minutes into a ladder match, but more in the style of if he was bringing the Edge & Christian 30 second pose gimmick back. For each rung.

I have only seen a Fancam version, but I really liked the match (aside from the introduction of chairs and the Spanish Fly Spot) until Jericho got in. Then it started to really drag, be bad and make less and less sense. The finish was pretty awful and Jericho should probably stop being a keyplayer in big matches. Still liked this better than the NXT version of WarGames I saw 2019, were Ciampa beat Cole in the end. 

Also, from that fans' perspective, it was really hard to tell why the bell rang. It could have easily been announced that "Sami Guevara has verbally submitted, therefore, your winners etc" which I didn't hear. 

I saw some spots in the TV version...the presentation on TV was really bad for some of the actions.