DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

If only they'd hired PCO to be in the Inner Circle.

Or Darby Allin. That stairs bump was gnarly as fuck. Sounded like he broke his arm on there.

Shitty Hot take - AEW shouldn't have these all out bananas insane matches air unless they're pretaped and edited when running on tnt? Anything relying on say, wild spots, all out violence and carnage, should probably be edited to infinity to come across seamless? 

• Like 3

I did live tv five days a week for over 15 years and I would’ve found the best shot for that fall. I had to find the best way to shoot something with sometimes only minutes or seconds (not kidding) to figure it out and 9 times out of 10, I’d get it.  AEW had time to get that right and they didn’t.  They should’ve planned it out better. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love AEW. They’ve got me watching and loving weekly wrestling again, and I am thankful for that. They screwed up, though. They did a great number and I’m really glad they did. I don’t know why it’s so hard for people to understand that you can love something and still be critical of it. I see a weakness that they have (in my opinion, of course) and I just want them to fix it so they can be even better. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is "Technique with Taz" going to become just Taz fucking with babyfaces and shit-talking their skills?  Sign me up.

I love Taz's insinuation that Christian Cage cannot get pinfalls with his Frog Splash because he skips leg day.... as if Taz had room to talk.  I remember Taz's bulging thighs and tiny calf days in ECW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

While they were in NXT, it seemed to me (and while I may be wrong it felt like the consensus) that Dax was the better/more refined of the two. Cash now is at minimum Dax's equal. Whatever holes or rough patches were in his game are long gone. He's awesome.

I've been thinking about this a bit. I know before I'd ever seen Cash that I kind of liked Dax, either because he was entertaining getting squashed by someone who matters or in his previous act with Miro and Sylvester Lefort. So I think he had a leg up with me when the team began. I know Cash's move to AEW has made him pop as something more than just "the other guy," as he seems bigger and more explosive. To the point where I'm wondering if I've been shortchanging him all along. Probably worth it for me to go back and watch a few matches and see. Haven't seen most of the big stuff in ages, and I hardly paid attention to most main roster stuff.

Couldn't fall asleep last night so I rewatched their match vs the Bucks because I was in the mood for more after seeing the boys bleed buckets in B&G. Match holds up and Cash's performance is absolutely king-sized. Maybe my favourite match of the pandemic. Can't wait till they run it back in front of a packed house. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That Deadspin article is fucking dumb. 

On 4/15/2021 at 1:34 AM, J.T. said:

Whomever appointed you my personal post policeman can knock it the fuck off now.  Care to add to anything else I said or did you just show up to nitpick that one single item?

Oh shit! Have we discussed that Sammy totally hit the best coast to coast or Van Terminator or whatever it’s called when you jump from one turnbuckle to another?  Even more impressive was that he did it later in the match after being in there the whole time. I don’t think I’ve personally ever seen one hit so clean. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Was rolling my eyes by the end of the first paragraph.

Uh oh! Be careful, GuerrillaMonsoon may try to shame you while completely misunderstanding JT's point.

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Now say something to everyone else who commented on that dumb ass article written for a hack website that lost any prestige it had 10 years ago.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Hard pass on the Undeadspin link, brudda.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

That Deadspin article is fucking dumb. 

It's not just dumb, it's very poorly written and obviously not been proofread. Sample pull quote:

I have about as much interest in seeing as what goes on in Brandi’s and Cody’s personal life as I do combing through my own shit.

To support what @EVA said (though he may not agree with where I end up running with it):

Quoting from or linking to Deadspin now is like quoting from or linking to the YouTube comments page. They, like the once-venerable Sports Illustrated, were bought out by stupid "vulture capitalists" and stripped down to their bare bones so the "name brand" could be used in stupid attempts to generate clicks by stupid people. 

There are dozens of excellent articles on the subject, including ones done by the New York Times and former Deadspin staff. It was a big story for a while. 

https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/31/20942249/deadspin-g-o-media-fired-quit-sports-illustrated-maven-sports-media

That's just the first example I could find after a quick search. It's not even cherry-picking. 

Everyone knows the deal. As a result no "real" sportswriter would ever consider working for that site now. The first guy who they hired after the mass exodus got absolutely roasted for it, and ended up panic-quitting while explaining that he wasn't aware of the situation. The only people who "work" there now are those with both no talent and no shame.

I don't disagree with the general sentiment that Cody's transparent desire to turn himself (and his gorgeous wife) into beloved mainstream celebrities is an odd fit when several of AEW's top heels (e.g. MJF and The Bucks) are doing parodies of spoiled entitled nouveau-riche pinheads and a lot  of the other babyfaces are playing relatable working class tough guys (like Cody's dad)...

(Although, I think it's to Cody's credit that, for example, he "let" someone else have the first AEW War Games match. If he was as bad as many people seem to think, surely he'd have been all "My dad invented that! I get to do it first!" or worse)

But, as I said, quoting from Deadspin (or, sadly, SI) doesn't exactly make anyone's argument stronger. It's very much like quoting from the YouTube comments page, in that  what you are actually saying is "There are also some worthless idiots who hold the same opinion."

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

(Although, I think it's to Cody's credit that, for example, he "let" someone else have the first AEW War Games match. If he was as bad as many people seem to think, surely he'd have been all "My dad invented that! I get to do it first!" or worse)

To be fair, he WAS supposed to be in the first Blood & Guts match last year. But I get what you're saying. Not gonna lie, I would have loved the reactions if it was Nightmare Family vs The Factory in Blood & Guts instead.

• Haha 1

Future of Blood & Guts:

When the next one will be? Year's time perhaps?

Where? TV to get a big rating again or PPV?

The participants. The Elite? Dark Order? Nightmare Factory? Pinnacle? Inner Circle? A future stable? Something to see the Elite inside it as it's different from what we usually see them do.

I see weapons usage again with the barbed wire on PPV. I do think they'll keep the action inside the box like structure next time. Least I hope so. Only two times I liked when action spilled outside a cage meant to keep the wrestlers in was WarGames 1992 with Sting/Madusa and Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997.

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, zendragon said:

As for the bump onto the pad? don't think it looked any worse than any off the Shane ones over the last 20 years, but I'm probably become desensitized to them

Funny you should mention that .. exactly what I was thinking. The crash pad was a bit more exposed than say the Shane/Big Show backlash bump but hardly a big deal. I’ll be the first to call out what is lame on these shows, but that’s not it. For all the theatrical spotty stuff or tubby guys in gimp masks .. that’s going to be the thing that ruins realism? Nope ..

The commercial break issues are going to be inevitable when running a match of this length on the TV show not PPV. No getting around that - is what it is.

I haven’t seen Caster’s entrance - what was his line? I’m really surprised he hasn’t had more viral engagement - the guy is great. He’s one who will really lift off once crowds are back.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

On a Cody note, having just caught up. In a wrestling landscape that’s full of finisher killing, he’s got to be one of the worst guys for it. He still ended up winning pretty decisively (which I think is totally the right call), but there’s no way QT should be kicking out of a tombstone and a Cross Rhodes. If a Cross Rhodes doesn’t finish QT, what level of guy can it even beat?

Glad they seem to be pivoting that feud into more of a launching pad for Ogogo and Commorato. Keep QT as their coach but he really doesn’t need to be elevated as a wrestler.

Although the announcement was a bit out of nowhere, now that OC vs Omega has been teased I’d be totally up for a short OC title run. Just do a big clusterfuck finish with Best Friends and Mox/Kingston playing spoilers on Bullet Club interference. Can easily have Omega win it back within a few weeks.

Edited by Kev
Typos
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kev said:

Although the announcement was a bit out of nowhere, now that OC vs Omega has been teased I’d be totally up for a short OC title run. Just do a big clusterfuck finish with Best Friends and Mox/Kingston playing spoilers on Bullet Club interference. Can easily have Omega win it back within a few weeks.

That's an interesting idea. We've all been looking ahead to Hangman being the one to unseat him, but I don't think I've ever considered taking a detour like that. Reminds me of Luger taking the belt off Hogan for a week in the summer of '97