DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/5/2021 - Cody vs QT Edition!

Heh, it was funny hearing them say "Tony, you were at the first Blood and Guts...", I guess to avoid any Cease and Desist letters. 

The one Jackson brother dressing up in what I first thought was a mu-mu ("It's somebody's curtain!") and hitting dude with his white loafer was hilarious. So was Cody massively bleeding on accident. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Maybe if that's your proposed finish, come up with something better?  If Jericho isn't going full Foley, maybe not book a  Foley finish?  It was a deflater of a finish, and it made the Inner Circle look like idiots.  "NO!  Don't throw Chris onto a mattress!!"  AEW books better and feels more legit than WWE.  They don't get passes when they are worse.  Chris himself should have known how bad that was going to look.

Nah, man I have to respectfully disagree. I think it was a fine finish shot at a bad angle. I'm firmly in the camp that it's much ado about nothing

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Heh, it was funny hearing them say "Tony, you were at the first Blood and Guts...", I guess to avoid any Cease and Desist letters. 

The one Jackson brother dressing up in what I first thought was a mu-mu ("It's somebody's curtain!") and hitting dude with his white loafer was hilarious. So was Cody massively bleeding on accident. 

We were dying at that too. "His father Dusty invented the Blood and Guts match, it's an emotional night for Cody..." 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Nah, man I have to respectfully disagree. I think it was a fine finish shot at a bad angle. I'm firmly in the camp that it's much ado about nothing

The replays didn't look as bad as the original shot.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It looked like he had the initials JC in red on the side of his head.  I assumed it was a shout out to Jim Crockett given the NWA / WCW origins of War Games...er.... Blood & Guts.

Finally found a picture, he also had this going on:

E0quXDmXMAEOXl6?format=jpg&name=large

It looks like someone tried to give him Vanilla Ice hair and it went horribly wrong.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that looks like Jake tried the old shave your head with a knife thing that Vin Diesel did in Pitch Black and it did not work out so well.

Edited by J.T.

6 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Maybe if that's your proposed finish, come up with something better?  If Jericho isn't going full Foley, maybe not book a  Foley finish?  It was a deflater of a finish, and it made the Inner Circle look like idiots.  "NO!  Don't throw Chris onto a mattress!!"  AEW books better and feels more legit than WWE.  They don't get passes when they are worse.  Chris himself should have known how bad that was going to look.

Yeah, these are my feelings. People are acting like the bump is mandatory. You can just do something else entirely if you’re not willing to do a table bump or what have you. These kind of spots are supposed to invoke fear and worry for the well being of the wrestler, instead I just find myself rolling my eyes every time. I’d rather see a legitimate bump off a cage through a table once every 4 or so years rather than the constant big bump into crash pad we get seemingly every month.

• Like 3

I just can't imagine that's the best finish they could come up with.  Regardless on how the final bump looked, it just makes the IC look like idiots for trusting the guy that they were trying to kill in the ring not 5 minutes beforehand.

• Like 1

Plus side: This will probably keep Jericho out of matches for awhile. Which, considering I think he was winded immediately after his run-in and repeatedly had the cameraman zoom in on him while he was climbing, probably because he had to catch his breath, would be a good thing. 

• Like 3

I liked the match well enough, but there definitely were better ways to make MJF look like even more of a bastard. Hell, cuff the IC to the ropes sans Sammy and have MJF threaten to maim him if Jericho doesn't give up. I do gotta say that the camera catching Jericho leading MJF through everything on-top of the cage was really fuckin' annoying.

Oh, and for the love of God, no more extended Kenny promos, please. Just let Don continue to do the talking for him.

Edited by APO
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I just can't imagine that's the best finish they could come up with.  Regardless on how the final bump looked, it just makes the IC look like idiots for trusting the guy that they were trying to kill in the ring not 5 minutes beforehand.

I don't disagree with you, but I think that may be part of the story in that Sammy will say "I was an idiot for trusting you" and that's how we'll transition into either a singles program with MJF, or Stadium Stampede II as the blow-off (how else do you go bigger than that?)

1 minute ago, APO said:

I liked the match well enough, but there definitely were better ways to make MJF look like even more of a bastard. Hell, cuff the IC to the ropes sans Sammy and have MJF threaten to maim him if Jericho doesn't give up. I do gotta say that the camera catching Jericho leading MJF through everything on-top of the cage was really fuckin' annoying.

It's not terrible but it's too close to '97 with the Hennig turn which I think left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Plus side: This will probably keep Jericho out of matches for awhile. Which, considering I think he was winded immediately after his run-in and repeatedly had the cameraman zoom in on him while he was climbing, probably because he had to catch his breath, would be a good thing. 

To be fai-uh to Jericho I think he started climbing too early and had to keep pausing so he wouldn't get up there til the commercial break was over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think what I hated more was MJF mugging on top of the cage for what seemed like forever. Once medical help was out for Jericho, why weren't the rest of The Inner Circle climbing the cage to get at him?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

We were dying at that too. "His father Dusty invented the Blood and Guts match, it's an emotional night for Cody..." 

I haaated that. That's WWE levels of revisionist history, from a promotion that is usually very good about acknowledging wrestling history. I understand that they can't say "War Games", but why pretend they were called Blood and Guts matches when they weren't?  Just say "His father Dusty came up with the rules for this match" or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

99% spot-on hematological Crockett/death worship, 1% dookie lookin' crash pad. A great match overall but a worrying trend after the barbed wire fireworks debacle.

For real. No more lame finishes to otherwise dope matches. More specifically: no more crash pads. Ever. Stop it. That was fantastic right up to the finish. Hats off to all of 'em but AEW really needs to hit the landing on these big gimmick matches. Terrible trend. Some of the visuals with MJF post-match were fantastic though. Particularly the wide shot of him with Blood & Guts on the tron.

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

B+G was a lot of fun with the expected blood cacophony.  Ending was really too soft to match the tone of the violence that preceded it.  

It felt like a 1987 NWA match turned into a 2001 WWF match. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5