DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

Oof, I forgot that people like Allysin Kay and Chelsea Green backed up the allegations. Even Big Swole too, I believe. But, for what it's worth, I was just playing devil's advocate. I'm totally fine if they don't bring in Tessa, because I'm quite happy with the women's division as is. And it might take some of the rub away from Kris Statlander's eventual rise to the top. But then I'm reminded that someone like Shanna backed it up as well, and she promptly had some Islamophobic stuff come out about her, so clearly everyone has their flaws.

I think it's possible to become a better person over time in regards to some things, but also still remain a complete dickhead too. But then again... how do you suddenly not become a racist in a few years time? That sort of stuff is baked into your DNA, it's not like quitting cigarettes or something.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that Tony Khan would've talked to someone like Big Swole before committing a single dollar to Tessa Blanchard. Maybe I'm naive, but he's too smart a guy not to have done his due diligence. 

I'm 100% in favor of someone getting a second chance if they can show change for the positive. TAFKA Big Cass certainly seems to be jumping into his with both feet. If Tessa comes in and is the same piece of shit she was three years ago, she should be shown the door swiftly. 

• Like 3

I think when discussing the women's division we don't give enough credit to how Red Velvet held that angle/match together for Jade. Brandi getting Preggers was the bet thing that could have happened. I don't know if Red becomes a "star" but she certainly has a spot in the solid hand category.

I'm finishing up watching WOW on AXS and AEW should think about bringing in Reina Reyes. She's impressed me a lot and is Lance Storm trained. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I guess it's just a difference of definitions, but there's a very defensible position for the division "treading water." 

Not really. Sometimes words and phrases have fairly specific meanings. "Treading water" is a lovely little expression. Paints a nice word picture. It very literally means "spending a lot of energy doing the same things over and over while making zero progress." Like, you know, people treading water in a swimming pool. It was a valid talking point in the early days of the company to say that the women's division in AEW was just treading water but I'm pretty sure that even people who "only" watch Dynamite can clearly see that there has been growth and progress in the division recently. It's obviously in a much better position now than it was a year ago. That's simply not treading water, by any reasonable definition.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

I'm finishing up watching WOW on AXS and AEW should think about bringing in Reina Reyes. She's impressed me a lot and is Lance Storm trained. 

Agreed, huge potential. On the subject of Tessa, her run there was really great. Perfectly executed story arc over two seasons with some really great matches and overall work. Her matches with Reyes and Thunder Rosa there were my two favorites.

• Like 1

E0UNJWFWUAMBzsw?format=jpg&name=medium

Darby Allin is having a great run as TNT Champion with the defences against Brian Cage (my favourite of the lot), John Silver and Jungle Boy. I want to see him vs. PAC and Dax Harwood. Not much interest in him vs. Scorpio Sky.

• Like 3

@The Naturalim not really interested in the Scorp match either, and I love both guys - I think maybe because the finish seems like a foregone conclusion with Sky seemingly teaming with Ethan Page now. Which I'm also not in love with - why have Scorpio split with SCU just to stick him in another team?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@The Naturalim not really interested in the Scorp match either, and I love both guys - I think maybe because the finish seems like a foregone conclusion with Sky seemingly teaming with Ethan Page now. Which I'm also not in love with - why have Scorpio split with SCU just to stick him in another team?

@Zakk_Sabbath, I agree with all you say.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Not really. Sometimes words and phrases have fairly specific meanings. "Treading water" is a lovely little expression. Paints a nice word picture. It very literally means "spending a lot of energy doing the same things over and over while making zero progress." Like, you know, people treading water in a swimming pool. It was a valid talking point in the early days of the company to say that the women's division in AEW was just treading water but I'm pretty sure that even people who "only" watch Dynamite can clearly see that there has been growth and progress in the division recently. It's obviously in a much better position now than it was a year ago. That's simply not treading water, by any reasonable definition.

As someone who largely identifies as one of the "only watches Dynamite" folks, maybe I should tell you what I clearly see so that you don't need to put in all that effort imagining it.

There has been growth and progress for some of the individual performers. But as a collective they continue to struggle to get enough time on the show that matters, so most of the people you mentioned in your previous post are hardly ever being seen by the bulk of their fanbase. Literally the same as day one. Sure, people enjoyed Britt and Rosa. And most of Rosa's stuff in general. But how is that progress? A featured act has always been generally well received. I remember people allegedly enjoying Riho's stuff when she was the focus of the division. 

Based on the type of content this company pumps out and the size of its roster, the fact of the matter is damn near 90% of what this company does can reasonably be described as treading water. And this division is no different. Offering up Maki Itoh's two week-ish stint as if that's a reasonable counterpoint against RRR's sentiment? Lunacy. All Maki Itoh's stint proved was there's too many simps in this sad world who'd give Tony a pat on the head and a pinch on the cheek for breaking wind in their direction. 

58 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Based on the type of content this company pumps out and the size of its roster, the fact of the matter is damn near 90% of what this company does can reasonably be described as treading water.

Just a note on this: these marathon Dark and Elevation tapings actually serve a purpose in adding hours to their content library, making them more attractive to future streaming partners, and more valuable to potential buyers if they ever have to sell. I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but thats one reason they're pumping out tons of content at the moment -  secondary to the purpose of getting reps in for the lesser featured acts and giving dates to unsigned talent during COVID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Not much interest in him vs. Scorpio Sky.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Wait wait.  Darby already defended against Scorpio and beat him.  Who is talking about him getting another shot?

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just a note on this: these marathon Dark and Elevation tapings actually serve a purpose in adding hours to their content library, making them more attractive to future streaming partners, and more valuable to potential buyers if they ever have to sell. I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but thats one reason they're pumping out tons of content at the moment -  secondary to the purpose of getting reps in for the lesser featured acts and giving dates to unsigned talent during COVID.

I am aware of all of this, but thank you taking an effort to keep people informed. It's appreciated.

Re: Darby and Scorp, I'd imagine we're headed toward a tag situation against the Dudes with Egotudes with the possibility of a title defence vs Archer. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Wait wait.  Darby already defended against Scorpio and beat him.  Who is talking about him getting another shot?

I answered thinking that would eventually be the end game after a possible Page/Sky vs Darby/Sting match but I could be way off - just speculation

• Like 2

Re: Tessa Blanchard 

I haven’t followed the Tessa issues so closely, but is there anything more than ‘hearsay’?  Somebody said she said something racist?  Is there proof this even happened?  What other dirt leads to these posts shaming her for being some sort of low life?  Is there anything more than rumours?

Further, the Impact dispute sounds like there were two sides that may have made some poor choices.   

Seems weird to hear so many ppl talk about her like they know her personally.  Ppl make mistakes.  We all do.  The idea that somebody ought to be known only for their worst decision always seems like a head scratcher.

I only really know what I’ve seen of her work. She’s an incredible performer and I’m really hoping she becomes ‘All elite’ as soon as possible.

8 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Re: Tessa Blanchard 

I haven’t followed the Tessa issues so closely, but is there anything more than ‘hearsay’?  Somebody said she said something racist?  Is there proof this even happened?  What other dirt leads to these posts shaming her for being some sort of low life?  Is there anything more than rumours?

I'm pretty sure there were very specific details from her victims and and corroboration from those who were close to the situations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I'm pretty sure there were very specific details from her victims and and corroboration from those who were close to the situations.

'Pretty sure'? 

Again, I'm not entirely up on this Tessa shit, I'd just like to know a few more actual 'facts', not 'hearsay', that substantiate a bunch of dudes on the internet shaming a 26 year old woman for being a racist.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

The woman's division has kinda treated water with regards to the Champion not really having a story or a feud just random title defenses. I've enjoyed the matches themselves but they've all been kinda stand alone affairs. hopefully with Britt Baker breaking out that can change.

regarding Tessa huge fan of her work in WOW and PCW shame she canceled herself. I kinda wonder if bring her in would be a Barry Bonds/Randy Moss situation where the negatives of having her in the locker room would cancel out the positives of her talent. 

28 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

'Pretty sure'? 

Again, I'm not entirely up on this Tessa shit, I'd just like to know a few more actual 'facts', not 'hearsay', that substantiate a bunch of dudes on the internet shaming a 26 year old woman for being a racist.  

It took me about 8 seconds to type "Tessa Blanchard racism allegations" into the old Google machine and I found quite a few articles from reputable/mainstream sites that there are, in fact, a bunch of gals that can corroborate her instances of racism and bullying.

If you're not up on any certain kind of shit, there are many ways, thanks to the miracle of modern technology, there are easy ways to remedy that.

• Like 5

On 5/1/2021 at 6:33 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of people who had redemption storylines, Jake Roberts is on what? Last chance #1505665?

Facts.  If you can take a chance on Jake Roberts, you can take a chance onTessa Blanchard.  The question now becomes Should You Take A Chance On Tessa Blanchard?

Given Impact's current synergy with AEW, I am surprised that Khan would entertain that notion.  I'd think that Impact's bookers would have "warned" him by now.

Personally, I would just do the NXT thing and continue to grow my organic talent.

Edited by J.T.

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It took me about 8 seconds to type "Tessa Blanchard racism allegations" into the old Google machine and I found quite a few articles from reputable/mainstream sites that there are, in fact, a bunch of gals that can corroborate her instances of racism and bullying.

If you're not up on any certain kind of shit, there are many ways, thanks to the miracle of modern technology, there are easy ways to remedy that.

The only reputable source i got was 'Forbes'.  A story relying on a bunch of tweets.  I guess if this is the story I did know it well enough.  

Okay, QT Marshall going full on Tony Soprano is money. And the pronunciation like he's a stripper. What a beast. Cody better do the right thing and put over the diamond cutter for 3 in the middle of the ring. 

• Like 4