DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

Also, the people saying Dynamite won't be pre-empted on TBS are in a weird bubble. TBS still airs the MLB postseason every year. And NCAA stuff too I believe.

• Like 3

isn’t the NHL stuff on Wednesdays? Likely couldn’t keep Dynamite on TNT without having to either preempt the show a lot or outright move days, and if all parties involved wanted it to stay on Wednesday, TBS was the best move. Keeping a presence on TNT with the new show and specials being there too is still good.

EDIT: I’m definitely in a bubble because I don’t know shit about real sports ?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That would assume anyhting WarnerMedia has done since getting bought by AT&T has been "smart"

To be fair, merging with Discovery+ is a smart move whenever it actually happens, but the way HBO Max was handled was hamfisted.

Also, HBO Max kinda sucks...At least on Roku anyway.

• Thanks 1

One final thing, even though I think HBO Max on Roku is kinda poopy, it would be a better destination for PPVs than B/R Live. They have to get away from B/R Live. That platform has been around for awhile now and it's the shittiest fucking thing ever. The one time I ordered an AEW PPV off of the PSN Store was way better than watching on B/R Live. The only upside to the B/R Live stuff is that all of your orders are available for as long as that service operates.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well there's the second mid card title everyone is clamoring for... The TBS Title... ?

22 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Cody will be a deserving first TBS champion

Have Cody regain the TNT title and keep him on Rampage and off the main show.  Everything he's involved with on Dynamite feels like he's in his own separate universe anyway, so just let him have the Friday show to do what he wants.  Feuds against friendly countries, big dumb trucks, Star Trek outfits, big pyro and scared dogs, DC comics references that don't land, thinly-veiled WWE disses, a shrine to Dusty right on the stage, token angles to give Brandi something to do, Cody wrestling or teaming with celebrities, all that.  It'll be amazing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I personally don't get this move at all. It doesn't feel like an upward move. If anything, it feels like a demotion. Not to mention, AEW branded a whole title around the TNT aspect.

Live wrestling on TNT again felt special and cool. It felt like a statement. I'm not sure i really get this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I hadn't thought about it till reading the above posts, what are they gonna do with the TNT Championship come January?

They’re probably gonna spin it like this was their idea when it clearly isn’t. How they handle the tnt championship will say a lot. 

• Sad 1

Can't see how anyone spins Turner throwing a TON more AEW content onto their programming as a bad thing. AEW is going to be all over Turner and, at least from Meltzer, it looks like there's a financial windfall attached to this. 

While no new extension was announced, Dave Meltzer is reporting that AEW is getting a 'significant' amount of money with the changes.

TNT to TBS is essentially a lateral move but the additional show, plus the four specials is huge. This is the content era of wrestling now and the more content that a station is willing to pay for, the better shape your company is in. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Can't see how anyone spins Turner throwing a TON more AEW content onto their programming as a bad thing. AEW is going to be all over Turner and, at least from Meltzer, it looks like there's a financial windfall attached to this. 

TNT to TBS is essentially a lateral move but the additional show, plus the four specials is huge. This is the content era of wrestling now and the more content that a station is willing to pay for, the better shape your company is in. 

TBS has lower viewership threshold than TNT?

Keep in mind, Turner is about to go through a Spin-off/Merger/Restructuring over the next year, so the entire exec structure could change between now and when the contract comes up for renewal.

I don't think it's a Kellner situation since Discovery has A&E and all those wrestling docs (which are featured on Discovery+), but I'd pump the breaks on "everything's smooth sailing" for the time being.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking Beach Break (still a dumb fucking name, really should have tried to have gotten Beach Blast), Fyter Fest, Fight for the Fallen and Winter Is Coming will be the 4 TNT Specials.

• Like 1

As of 2018, TBS was in more homes than TNT but I believe any difference is negligible. Regardless, the only rule of ratings is "are the executives happy?" Hard to spin this news as anything other than positive today, though, as Raziel noted a lot can change. But the same could happen to ANY property? 

I dunno, it seems with wrestling there's always so much doom and gloom and even with WWE being what WWE is there's companies literally throwing more money at them than anyone ever dreamed of. Is anyone still thinking AEW is on shaky ground? Everyone thought Smackdown was gonna fail and be shunted off to to FS1 too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Wrestling fans are all deep in the bubble. There are no casuals. 

2. AEW fans probably know who Minoru Suzuki is. 

3. They don't have to know who he is because there's no way they could ignore him or dislike him. If you seriously think would people see THIS guy and want to CHANGE THE CHANNEL then you're insane. 

Minoru-Suzuki.jpg

Excalibur has namedropped Minoru Suzuki a few times on Dynamite.   I can remember twice off top of my head.