DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

7 hours ago, AxB said:

He probably will, Janela's whole deal is about wanting to elevate indie workers.

See how Double or Nothing is a whole weekend deal, with Friday Dynamite on the 28th, Fan Fest on the 29th , and the PPV on the Sunday? Is Friday Dynamite an extra show, or just the regular Wednesday show delayed a couple of nights?

the regular Dynamite delayed because of the NBA playoffs. The following week will be the same way I believe.

• Thanks 1

They just uploaded Elevation to Youtube as a video rather than doing a permiere. So you can watch from the start whenever you want, and pause during the show and so on. I prefer it.

And Paul Wight just compared Eddie Kingston to the Soup guy from Seinfeld. Does Show lurk? Was Show shouting out Petrol and Eddie?

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 2

So regarding the live shows, after the three they’ve announced in July, there’s three weeks of unannounced shows, and then they pick up for about 6 weeks of rescheduled shows before going dark again in mid October. Man I really hope California is in there, but I’m sure they’re looking at all various restrictions too. I don’t think it’s a coincidence the first three they announced are Florida and Texas (although Miami has a self imposed 50% max capacity). 

I remember how fun those early show announcements were on bte, it’s actually fun again to have mere announcements as something to look forward to. Can’t wait. 

Don't know if it'll queue up to that point but check the Agogo promo at an hour and 35 minutes into it.  Guy speaks a lot of truth here and gets his point across MUCH better than Cody did. 

EDIT:  So the promo is still all kinds of awesome but hearing it again makes me wonder what they're going for here.  Ogogo is giving off some DEEP Bret Hart vibes where he gives valid points why he hates America.  Which worked out for Bret as he was beloved elsewhere and hated in the US.  Only thing is I think there's a misread on all this as with times changing I don't know how much Ogogo will be truly hated.  Especially when Cody cut a meandering promo that makes it hard to get into what is supposed to be the all-conquering national hero.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out but much like the Cody promo I almost wish Ogogo didn't speak the truth in his.  The beginning and end would have been more than enough to establish his intentions.  I'm not going to claim the heel's the face as it's crystal clear Ogogo's still the heel in this.  But they need to be careful not to misread their audience and complicate things a lot more than they should be.

And Daniel Garcia had a helluva match against Janela. Kind of has a Danielson vibe but I see him going far. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Don't know if it'll queue up to that point but check the Agogo promo at 1:35.  Guy speaks a lot of truth here and gets his point across MUCH better than Cody did. 

And Daniel Garcia had a helluva match against Janela. Kind of has a Danielson vibe but I see him going far. 

Agree with both of those points!

Also: Bear Bronson vs Lance Archer was everything I'd hoped it would be. Jake on commentary during that match was as good as he's been in AEW. Big Paul calling Bronson "Bear Bryant" twice ws pretty funny, too. 

And: It looks like we're building to a Dustin vs Comoroto Bullrope Match! I am definitely down for that.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

"Pissboy"! Agogo crushed him. He better come back with something about British colonialism or else he's in the trash. 

You know, I wasn't into this nationalist horseshit at first, but Ogogo doing Bob Hoskins from The Long Good Friday might be great. 

• Like 2

A trio of fun ladies squash matches on elevation. Markova stood out for me, definitely died for our sins on a couple of Hirsch's throws.

Also shout out to Thunder Rosa for something I've noticed for a while now. She has different gear for every single match. Must've seen in her in at least 30 colour/style combinations by now. It's the little things that set her apart. 

• Like 4

You know I was thinking while it was happening, if whatever crowd made up of wrestlers went banana for Yuji Nagata, can you imagine what the reaction from a real crowd would be for Minoru Suzuki showing up instead? It sucks that Mox's defense against him was in Japan; they should let them do a domestic rematch. Also, that would be a reasonable opponent to get the US belt off him if they wanted to do that. Nobody is gonna complain about someone losing to Minoru friggin' Suzuki.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know I was thinking while it was happening, if whatever crowd made up of wrestlers went banana for Yuji Nagata, can you imagine what the reaction from a real crowd would be for Minoru Suzuki showing up instead? It sucks that Mox's defense against him was in Japan; they should let them do a domestic rematch. Also, that would be a reasonable opponent to get the US belt off him if they wanted to do that. Nobody is gonna complain about someone losing to Minoru friggin' Suzuki.

If Mox was doing some random promo in front of a full house and Suzuki’s music started the building would explode. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

And: It looks like we're building to a Dustin vs Comoroto Bullrope Match! I am definitely down for that.

Whaaaa???!?!  That sounds amazing.  People talk alot about a "bloated" roster, but they still consistently pull out these matchups that I didn't even know I wanted, and then I want them so much.

Also, Daniel Garcia has the potential to be a big star, IMO.  I'd love to see AEW scoop him up.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, matt925 said:

If Mox was doing some random promo in front of a full house and Suzuki’s music started the building would explode. 

Yep. I know TNT is mad at Tony K for all the lights-out special appearances but that would be the time for one. Just imagine his face appearing on the screen when that guitar and piano hit. Immediate Road Warrior Pop.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leonidas said:

A trio of fun ladies squash matches on elevation. Markova stood out for me, definitely died for our sins on a couple of Hirsch's throws.

They should sign her.  She's beautiful, exotic and can work.  I see her becoming the Utami Hayashishita of America!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Markova stood out for me, definitely died for our sins on a couple of Hirsch's throws.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

They should sign her.  She's beautiful, exotic and can work.

her pic in the Title Belts thread makes me have to agree.

settle down, @twiztornetico!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yep. I know TNT is mad at Tony K for all the lights-out special appearances but that would be the time for one. Just imagine his face appearing on the screen when that guitar and piano hit. Immediate Road Warrior Pop.

You guys are DEEEEEP in the bubble. The last thing you do with an unknown in the American market is make them a surprise. "Look guys! It's someone you've never heard of!" Like how many members of the television audience will have even heard of the guy? 50% on the high end? 

• Like 3

If they get THE big name signing out there, is it better to get the big pop for Ride of the Valkyries, or the two stage pop for The Final Countdown (half the fans go banana, the other half go confused), and then the name and face of Brian Danielson?

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

You guys are DEEEEEP in the bubble. The last thing you do with an unknown in the American market is make them a surprise. "Look guys! It's someone you've never heard of!" Like how many members of the television audience will have even heard of the guy? 50% on the high end? 

1. Wrestling fans are all deep in the bubble. There are no casuals. 

2. AEW fans probably know who Minoru Suzuki is. 

3. They don't have to know who he is because there's no way they could ignore him or dislike him. If you seriously think would people see THIS guy and want to CHANGE THE CHANNEL then you're insane. 

Minoru-Suzuki.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Wrestling fans are all deep in the bubble. There are no casuals. 

2. AEW fans probably know who Minoru Suzuki is. 

3. They don't have to know who he is because there's no way they could ignore him or dislike him. If you seriously think would people see THIS guy and want to CHANGE THE CHANNEL then you're insane. 

Minoru-Suzuki.jpg

Man... "AEW fans don't know who legendary Japanese wrestlers are" is a genuinely terrible take. We all heard the pop that Nagata got, and the crowd reacting when he went for the arm bar. Surely we haven't forgotten that Omega, Cody, The Bucks, Jericho, Mox, Archer, Pac, and more all have close ties to New Japan and that it was a bunch of "big in Japan, but not stars over here" guys who sold  out an arena and earned the company a TV deal in the first place.

@Goodear: Did you not know who Yuji Nagata was? Would you really think "Who is this guy?" if MiSu showed up unannounced? I doubt it. The half-million casual fans who watch Dynamite regularly but would change the channel in confusion if, say, Tomohiro Ishii (or Kyoko Inoue or Kikutaro or Lulu Pencil or Ken the Box) showed up out of the blue are an imaginary construct. 

As @Curt McGirt correctly pointed out, "casual wrestling fan" is pretty much an imaginary construct these days.

Everyone's a "smark" now.

That being said, I'm not in any way opposed to using video packages to build up new-to-AEW wrestlers coming from overseas or the indies or wherever, or new-to-Dynamite people making the jump from the youtube shows. It would be fine to do that more often, but it's by no means necessary. On the upside video packages build hype and anticipation, on the downside you spoil the surprise, and risk pandering to the LCD and insulting the intelligence of your hardcore audience.

*Shakuhachi music playing* "Hailing from the exotic orient, Kota Ibushi *graphic: 飯伏幸太 Ibushi Kōta* is a master of the mysterious martial arts signed to New Japan Pro-Wrestling *graphic: stock footage of neon lights and busy streets in Tokyo, then a shot of a temple or shrine and a cherry blossom tree * Many of you will no doubt be astonished to learn that this foreigner from a far-away land once teamed with AEW Champion Kenny Omega *graphic of Omega and Ibushi adorably cuddling* as the Golden☆Lovers..."

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

Final Countdown all the way from me (and rooting for hard for it to happen, as I google Daniel Bryan AEW basically every day).

If it happens, I really hope Justin Roberts suddenly looks super nervous, then takes his tie off and tries to hide it under the ring or something.,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5