DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

I have no idea how reliable they are, but according to SEScoops, Tessa Blanchard and Daga are pretty close to signing. And...

AEW officials have discussed the idea of acknowledging Tessa Blanchard’s prior ‘issues’ on television and presenting her with a redemption storyline of sorts.

• Sad 1

I know she has done some shitty things in the past. But she's still relatively young, and will be working in the same company as her father. This will be her best/last chance for redemption.

There have been plenty of male wrestlers who were far worse who were given another shot, so I have no problem with her getting one. If she messes up, she's pretty much done in the business. Let her sink or swim.

• Like 3

If it works, they have a cornerstone for their fledgling women's division for the next 15 years. If it doesn't, it's not a good look and some people will be upset. Some will say they'll never watch again. That'll happen either way, tbh. I dunno. High reward with a distinct possibility of it potentially backfiring.

Andrade is working a lucha show with some AEW talent in June. It also features Rush & Lee vs. Lucha Bros. I need Los Ingobernables in AEW, man. Fenix vs. Lee, mano y mano. Rush and Penta cutting promos on each other in Spanish with Alex Abrahantes in the middle? ?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I am not the focus of Tessa Blanchard’s controversial moments.  It doesn’t affect my life or sense of well-being and/or safety. Most of us are probably similarly singularly minded.  Tessa and even Daga are more talented than many in AEW.  If Tessa doesn’t have any criminal or other cases against her legally then she should be given a chance. While it would be great if AEW could be the San Antonio Spurs of pro wrestling most organizations lack similar moral standards.  Keep all the unprofessional disruptive and racist people out of wrestling that we can.  Does Tessa Blanchard working for a pro wrestling company in 2021 really warrant a backlash or boycott?  

As mere fans we probably can’t comprehend the terrible things that wrestlers have done in the past.  Shawn Michaels’ crazier days probably would turn him into a cancer on the industry among the bigger “critics” from Twitter, which is ALWAYS fair and comprehensive.  How many stories are out there chronicling TB’s path of distinction.  If someone is a racist prima Donna who won’t job or do business then they shouldn’t have a spot in wrestling or AEW in particular. Is there enough evidence (or “internet” evidence/articles) to back up the rumors/gossip from the Twitterverse.  

Twitter is just the poor man’s Usenet.  #rspw or #rspw-m didn’t have the same saturation so the newsgroup didn’t get credibility that millions more nut jobs from da Twittah provide.  Speaking of which, how is Jericho not on top of everyone’s shit list?  Okay, I know why a segment of America won’t but it just seems like Jericho has a lot of problems when he opens his mouth outside the ring.  Those problems are much easier to read about than Tessa’s.  

Then again there has to be some reason that she doesn’t work somewhere in WWE by now.  They like to think they can mold and shape the bad out of someone.  Sometimes that results in an unusually short stay.  Sometimes they make the main rosters because they care about talent more than character.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Some will say they'll never watch again.

Mike Tyson was on Dynamite like three weeks ago. I totally get it, but at the same time, AEW isn't exactly working with the cleanest of slates.

If she messes up, she's pretty much done in the business. 

Speaking of people who had redemption storylines, Jake Roberts is on what? Last chance #1505665? Shit, her dad (the biological one, not Magnum) was pretty much out of the business for 25 years save for money mark PPVs from the late 90s and early 00s and an aborted road agent run. Now both are on TV EVERY week. It's something about these second and third generation wrestlers getting chance after chance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I am not the focus of Tessa Blanchard’s controversial moments.  It doesn’t affect my life or sense of well-being and/or safety. Most of us are probably similarly singularly minded.  Tessa and even Daga are more talented than many in AEW.  If Tessa doesn’t have any criminal or other cases against her legally then she should be given a chance. While it would be great if AEW could be the San Antonio Spurs of pro wrestling most organizations lack similar moral standards.  Keep all the unprofessional disruptive and racist people out of wrestling that we can.  Does Tessa Blanchard working for a pro wrestling company in 2021 really warrant a backlash or boycott?  

As mere fans we probably can’t comprehend the terrible things that wrestlers have done in the past.  Shawn Michaels’ crazier days probably would turn him into a cancer on the industry among the bigger “critics” from Twitter, which is ALWAYS fair and comprehensive.  How many stories are out there chronicling TB’s path of distinction.  If someone is a racist prima Donna who won’t job or do business then they shouldn’t have a spot in wrestling or AEW in particular. Is there enough evidence (or “internet” evidence/articles) to back up the rumors/gossip from the Twitterverse.  

Twitter is just the poor man’s Usenet.  #rspw or #rspw-m didn’t have the same saturation so the newsgroup didn’t get credibility that millions more nut jobs from da Twittah provide.  Speaking of which, how is Jericho not on top of everyone’s shit list?  Okay, I know why a segment of America won’t but it just seems like Jericho has a lot of problems when he opens his mouth outside the ring.  Those problems are much easier to read about than Tessa’s.  

Then again there has to be some reason that she doesn’t work somewhere in WWE by now.  They like to think they can mold and shape the bad out of someone.  Sometimes that results in an unusually short stay.  Sometimes they make the main rosters because they care about talent more than character.

You’re right, people really aren’t talking enough about Chris Jericho. 

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You’re right, people really aren’t talking enough about Chris Jericho. 

Quality sarcasm.  I’d rather be seen as out of touch with current gossip from the kids these days. I was worried more about being confused as someone with similar beliefs as someone who is a conspiracy believer or those who don’t believe there is racism or inequality in society.  

The sad thing, that we can actually speculate, is that a Tessa/Daga twofer would probably involve turning Dr. Britt Baker to babyface.  She might be able to make it work.  

Britt has a lot of goodwill with fans after the awesome match against Thunder Rosa.  Fans probably want to cheer her.  Online buzz alone turned her unofficially.  Those fans that love her hopefully love her for who she is - a bad guy.  

WWE makes that mistake every time there is a ground swell for a popular heel.  WWE never lets them turn with the same motivations that influenced their popularity to begin with.  I would hope that Tony K would recognize the difference.  He used to post here, when do we get a Ken the Box is All Elite tease?  Okay, maybe that is a box too far but I think Tony K realizes the problem with the way WWE has turned 90% of its roster for thirty years or more.  

I think they should sign her anyway.  Maybe they have already written a way around their two best women both being heels.  If they haven’t then they should really brainstorm ideas before she might debut...and overshadow most of the women’s locker room.  Just keep her from squashing the Leyla Hirsches, Anna Jays and Tay Contis on her way up through the Top 5.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hire Tessa Blanchard for what she was accused of by numerous women, racism and a pain in the ass.

I'll post this here as more will see it:

Currently on Mox vs. KENTA which I need to watch. The best match of the collection is either the first with Juice Robinson from June 2019 or against Minoru Suzuki, February 2020.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jiji said:

God daaaamn at that Omega/Andrade match.

And it may only be on twitch, no date but it’s probably a long way out and things could change. Figured that’s some pretty big news though. 

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

They don't need Tessa, and I don't want her there either.

AEW needs stars and whatever you think of Tessa Blanchard, it’s undeniable that when you see her on tv that she has the it factor.

AEW has women with potential but Britt Baker is the only one currently under contract that is a star. And they’ve been reluctant to pull the trigger on her for whatever reason.

Thunder Rosa came in and made another promotion’s title more prominent than AEW’s because she has the it factor/star quality others including their champion don’t.

It’s always a tricky situation debating who’s a “star” or not, because everybody has their own idea of what that means, but I would offer Tay Conti as someone who clearly has an “it factor” and has demonstrably done well in the ratings when she’s been featured on Dynamite lately.  If she’s not a star yet, she’s on her way.  

And, at this point, there are likely far more people who have seen Tay, and are invested in her, in North America right now via Dynamite than have even watched a Tessa match in the last few years.  Based on where Tessa has (and hasn’t) worked since failing to catch on with WWE in 16/17, I would offer that more people are aware of her by name/reputation than are actively invested in her in the ring.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

AEW needs stars and whatever you think of Tessa Blanchard, it’s undeniable that when you see her on tv that she has the it factor.

AEW has women with potential but Britt Baker is the only one currently under contract that is a star. And they’ve been reluctant to pull the trigger on her for whatever reason.

Thunder Rosa came in and made another promotion’s title more prominent than AEW’s because she has the it factor/star quality others including their champion don’t.

I'm going to disagree with you here, and say they already have (around) four to five already there, with a couple more being worked on.

• Like 2