DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said on week one of Virk on RAW that the one thing Vince won't tolerate is his announcers sounding completely clueless about wrestling (I am paraphrasing a bit here)

So I guess yesterday must have been a final straw

I look forward to Kevin Patrick debuting on the Raw commentary team next week.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I swear...One day Byron is going to be the longest tenured announcer they have and that's going to be a really sad day...

...For Michael Cole.

Coming soon to adfreeshows.com, Adnan Virk and Conrad Thompson bring you "Six Weeks".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Virk is a big Dan Lebatard guy. One thing Lebatard is great at is getting people to open up about "uncomfortable" subjects. May take a little time but I'm sure Virk will tell some interesting stories about the few weeks he was there.

Didnt Virk used to cohost the post Raw show on Sportsnet with Renee? Or was that someone else? 

id expect him to show up on her porch or the  Deitsch pod.

Edited by odessasteps

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Didnt Virk used to cohost the post Raw show on Sportsnet with Renee? Or was that someone else? 

id expect him to show up on her porch or the  Deitsch pod.

That was Mauro and Jimmy Korderas, it was on The Score before the channel was bought by Sportsnet (though The Score still lives on as a decent app)

2 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

What was the name of that one announcer they had during the Hulkamania years who apparently couldn't name a single hold or throw and would always just shout "What a maneuver!"? I tell ya, man, that guy was clueless!

Meltzer's said in the past that Vince is a bit embarrassed by his announcing days and would represent himself differently if he had it to do over.  I have some affection for the the late days of Gorilla and Brain, and Vince's run as an announcer, but it's a different product now and mainstream events have evolved an awful lot in terms of presentation.  I probably wouldn't want to see the company put the "Whatamanoover" guy back on the air, and I don't know that Gorilla would be right for tv in this era.  Probably not.

No word from Meltzer on whether or not Vince regrets some of the zany "parachute pants" outfits he wore back in those days.

It's going to be a very sad day in the Saxton household when Vince remembers he's still part of the commentary team and fires him.   Probably time for Saxton to get a second cell phone Vince doesn't know about.

I've liked Virk well enough on other gigs, but it was obvious he didn't know the product well enough to keep everything straight.  It was just a matter of time, and now's a good a time as any.  I'm assuming a fair chunk of Virk's contract was guaranteed and he'll line up another gig by the end of the week, if he wants to.  He claimed on social media that the travel was too much for him and his family, but I'm guessing that's just a cover.

Edited by Eoae

Vince was a great announcer back in the 70s and 80s. And even in the 90s he was still better than anyone today.

The announcing and overall production is the one thing about WWE that has inarguably regressed the most in the last 20 years. It's utterly, utterly awful and would make the shows very difficult to watch even if the wrestling was good.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Is the 1001 Matches project ever gonna be finished? There's 91 matches left. 

Yes... when I stop hating wrestling

• Haha 1

So among the layoffs today that haven't been announced, Dan Ryckert may be one of them. I debated posting this here or the video game catch all thread. Dan left Giant Bomb to be WWE's Senior Producer for their podcasts. Namely the New Day's podcast. It really sucks if that's true because his rapport with Austin, Kofi, and Big E is incredible and it was his dream to work for WWE.

I think no matter what he'll land on his feet because he's a workaholic, but it would be a loss for WWE's podcasts. 

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think no matter what he'll land on his feet because he's a workaholic, but it would be a loss for WWE's podcasts. 

Eh.. I would disagree on that (and to be fair, if you look in the Podcast thread more than one person said they didn't like Ryckert on the New Day podcast)

I know we aren't supposed to be happy for people losing their jobs, but I would have dropped the New Day podcast if he continued to be a featured part. As of now, I FF thru the intros and turn it off when they get to the Gas Up segment. 

The other "weird" news story of the day

Apparently in doing press for F9: The Fast Saga in China, John Cena referred to Taiwan as a country which of course pissed off the Chinese government

So Cena then did a promo in Mandarin apologizing.

Which is now leading to Cena getting backlash for apologizing

Including the amazing double standard here...

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So among the layoffs today that haven't been announced, Dan Ryckert may be one of them. I debated posting this here or the video game catch all thread. Dan left Giant Bomb to be WWE's Senior Producer for their podcasts. Namely the New Day's podcast. It really sucks if that's true because his rapport with Austin, Kofi, and Big E is incredible and it was his dream to work for WWE.

Dan seems to be doing alright with his personal Twitch stuff, as well as doing a couple of different podcast projects with Mike Mahardy and Mary Kish. If anything Dan has an amazing ability to fall ass backwards into new and exciting career opportunities. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Sucks that he got laid off, but I'm conflicted since he totally sabotaged their Great Toy of All Time tournament.  I mean really, a tire and a stick?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1