DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

15 hours ago, Eoae said:

Are there any "tape traders" still around?  I haven't bought from any in years, maybe a decade or longer, and don't even remember the names of people I used to buy from, much less their contact info.  Is there anyone reliable still around in the US?

Hide contents

Basically, I'm looking for complete seasons of Lucha Underground.  The only licensed DVDs I see around are PAL sets made in Germany (I think).  Looking for something I can play on a region 1 DVD or blu ray player without much fuss.

I don't know if you're just looking for an official copy for your records but LU is on Tubi to watch for free.

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

IVP Videos is still legit.

IVP was the one dealer I managed to remember last night.  Unfortunately, they don't appear to have what I am looking for.

I'm getting old.  I literally can't remember the names of people and websites I dealt with back in the day.  I probably would have never remembered Quebrada.net and the Crazy Max forums were things without prompting.  I was trying to remember the name of the seller with the catalogs this morning and six names popped into my head before I came up with Jeff Lynch (I think that was his name).  One of the early guesses was Muhammad Ali.  I don't remember for sure, but I feel safe in saying that I've never bought wrestling footage from Muhammad Ali.

Is Alfredo still around?  Used to get lucha footage from him, but Google didn't turn up anything helpful and I only remember a first name.

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Is Alfredo still around?  Used to get lucha footage from him, but Google didn't turn up anything helpful and I only remember a first name.

I don't think so. His site isn't around anymore, and I haven't heard anything about him starting a new one.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

I see that the quebrada dot net website is still up. Do they still fulfill orders?

Unless something changed in the last few months, Mike is still very much around.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:30 AM, Technico Support said:

Tremendous.

Missing:

• Bryan tries to end the show...Dave starts a new subject and goes on for 5-15 more minutes.
  • "These guys could have a better match outside WWE"
  • Dave mentions PWG
  • Bryan starts yelling for no good reason.
  • Bryan mentions his kids and/or cats
  • Dave mentions that nobody at Cody Meltzer's school dresses as WWE superstars on Halloween.

Dave saying "You know" really should've been the free space. He's been known to use it 3 times in a sentence.

• Haha 1

I'm sad the video cuts out just before what appears to be that girl busting out the robot. Her Cena-esque "Can't See Me" into a making it rain was a good transition spot. The robot as the finish would have pushed it to 5*. In clipped form, let's call it 3 1/2*

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'm sad the video cuts out just before what appears to be that girl busting out the robot. Her Cena-esque "Can't See Me" into a making it rain was a good transition spot. The robot as the finish would have pushed it to 5*. In clipped form, let's call it 3 1/2*

I wonder if someone told her that the pop wasn't for her

• Haha 3

Since we were talking about tape traders earlier - if anyone ever comes across a Bull Nakano comp, I’m definitely in the market for it. I don’t have a DVD burner, or the time really, so… yeah. All I’ve ever come across are those “Best of Joshi” sets on like Highspots and stuff.

Edited by Casey

On 5/21/2021 at 10:05 AM, Technico Support said:

For WWE, what is the purpose of non-relevised house shows, anyway?  TV deals are netting them more money than they'll ever need.  WWE merch can be had in ways other than at the concession stand.  They could cancel non-televised house shows altogether and be fine, and their workers would be much healthier.  So what's the deal?  Just Vince being stuck in that old school mentality?

to add to what other people have said. road testing matches and gimmicks. getting stuff ready for TV, gauging audience reaction to thing and adjusting (this is supposedly why Bret and not Luger won the belt at WMX). Used to be before you saw a match on tv it had been on the road for a couple of months

• Like 1

Ospreay vacated the IWGP World title and left Japan to return to the UK. Because he has a neck injury. But newz reports say he's considering going to NXT-UK. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Why would WWE get money from Warner Bros when Netflix bought the rights to Army of the Dead?

I'm assuming that was the OP adding something by accident.  I know Alvarez just said on one of his shows that "they got a million" and nothing else.

All I know is that, in the next round of "let's murder suspension of disbelief for money corporate synergy," WWE is sponsored by John Wick 4 or Requiem for a Dream 2 so we can see wrestlers assassinated or OD in kayfabe.

• Haha 1

Will posted a photo today of what looks like a pretty fucked up x-ray. Also, regarding the NXT-UK stuff, VOW reported that that may be some confusion of Japanese sources not differentiating between NXT and NXT-UK.  

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Ospreay vacated the IWGP World title and left Japan to return to the UK. Because he has a neck injury. But newz reports say he's considering going to NXT-UK. 

That happened last week and since then he's had to abandon Rev Pro shit too. Today he posted a real fucked up picture of his neck.

For me, I'm shocked he made it this long. I remember 3 or more years ago where he was talking about his body just falling apart and Meltzer talking about how Ospreay's shoulder and neck are super fucked. I don't think there's any way he's doing any wrestling, much less for NXT.

Edited by Craig H

Buff Bagwell got arrested for a DUI in Cobb County, Georgia.

Ya know - you think a wrestler would follow the most important rule there is if you ever take a trip down to Cobb County, Georgia. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

It's funny but where people are from has no resonance to me anymore but hailing from a place used to tell you a lot about someone just from how it sounded. Cobb County sounds like a place with fat cops running speed traps so it fit so well. Now, I couldn't tell you where anyone is from because its all so generic. This kind of ties to the Hulk Hogan weight discussion from a few weeks ago, but no one seems to come from anywhere as interesting as Stone Mountain, Bucksnort or Seasonal Residences.

• Like 5

Punk being from Chicago is maybe one of the last wrestlers where the place you hailed from actually mattered. Maybe Daniel Bryan being from Aberdeen.