DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Candido always had a rep as a great worker so what are some really good matches of his? The most I ever saw of him was the Bodydonnas, and nobody talks about that shit ever (probably for a reason, that was up there with the Dynamic Dudes as far as gimmicks go). 

I can’t remember specific matches in TNA, I’d probably need to revisit, but my overall memory was that he was on fire in TNA right before he passed away.  

He also had a decent run in IWA:MS around 04-05. Remember a match with AJ being a stand out.

• Like 1

Looking him up, I had no idea he was a transitional champ to get the NWA belt onto Dan Severn after the Shane Douglas/ECW debacle. That's quite the accomplishment even if the title had been tarnished. 

He was doing a Terry Funk gimmick during that period in WCW, right? He was wearing the Terry striped pants in that horse stable match where poor Terry got kicked. 

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All things being equal, a Candido in his late teens/early 20s trying to break into wrestling around 2010ish wouldn’t be under the same pressure to get artificially jacked up to make up for his short stature.  So I don’t think he’d be a 5’8” roided up bulldozer in AEW or NXT.  More likely, he’d have a more athletic build and be this era’s Bryan Danielson.

I totally see Candido as being a Roddy Strong type in today's world.

• Like 1

Also, didn't Candido start leaning heavy into the "try to work after my opponent pulled my tights down to expose my asscheeks" between WCW and TNA?  I have quite a few IWA-MS best-ofs from SMV, and it seems like every match someone has with Candido, he has a lengthy sequence where his ass is out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Candido always had a rep as a great worker so what are some really good matches of his? The most I ever saw of him was the Bodydonnas, and nobody talks about that shit ever (probably for a reason, that was up there with the Dynamic Dudes as far as gimmicks go). 

He had some good matches in ECW.

Miz tore his ACL at Bscklash.  Could be out nine months.  Feel bad for him.  I think this is his first major injury?

This will probably hasten Johnny Drip-Drip’s transfer to Main Event or catering.  Feeling less bad about that.  He seemed headed in that direction anyway.  His comedy stuff with Miz has been tough viewing.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/miz-suffers-acl-tear-wwe-wrestlemania-backlash-341726

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

Also, didn't Candido start leaning heavy into the "try to work after my opponent pulled my tights down to expose my asscheeks" between WCW and TNA?  I have quite a few IWA-MS best-ofs from SMV, and it seems like every match someone has with Candido, he has a lengthy sequence where his ass is out.

I think that's just an old heel comedy thing. Flair and Rick Rude had plenty of matches where someone goes for a sunset flip...they grab the ropes and the guy grabs the tights exposing their ass to the world to leverage for the pin.

I'm sure Candido was the type of guy who would plan a whole match around how to get his ass exposed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Miz tore his ACL at Bscklash.  Could be out nine months.  Feel bad for him.  I think this is his first major injury?

This will probably hasten Johnny Drip-Drip’s transfer to Main Event or catering.  Feeling less bad about that.  He seemed headed in that direction anyway.  His comedy stuff with Miz has been tough viewing.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/miz-suffers-acl-tear-wwe-wrestlemania-backlash-341726

I thought he got eaten by zombies?!

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Looking him up, I had no idea he was a transitional champ to get the NWA belt onto Dan Severn after the Shane Douglas/ECW debacle. That's quite the accomplishment even if the title had been tarnished. 

He was doing a Terry Funk gimmick during that period in WCW, right? He was wearing the Terry striped pants in that horse stable match where poor Terry got kicked. 

There is an amazing story about Candido running into Lou Thesz in an airport bathroom after he won the NWA title. After chatting for a bit, it comes out that Candido is also a wrestler, and he finally mentions that he's the NWA champ and pulls the belt out of his bag to show to Thesz. Thesz gives him very stern and serious advice about needing to protect himself and to watch out for promoters trying to screw him out of money. Lance Storm and Jim Cornette have both told this story separately in various interviews so I'm willing to believe it. 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, nate said:

I would imagine he picked that up probably working in SMW, as for his best matches I would go with his matches vs Lance Storm. Maybe Heatwave 98

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

It's May 19th. Everyone gets to make jokes about Kane going mental.

my buddy got married on May 19th a year or two after the Kane stuff happened. We did not let that go by unnoticed. We would call and just repeat "MAY 19TH", either in whispers or loudly. We'd text him "MAY 19TH". if he walked by while some of us were talking, we'd just say "MAY 19TH" repeatedly until he got close and then just clam up. we'd leave notes at his work, on his car, or at his parents' house. it was a lot of fun. probably less so for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Seeing my crypto in the toilet this morning, I check Cameron Grimes’ Twitter and sure enough he’s living the gimmick there. Booking him in a ‘Falling Down’-esque unravelling would be pretty entertaining.

• Like 2

There’s no details in the story other than “summerslam in Nevada” but I’d assume that would mean raiders stadium in Vegas which I’d then assume would have a bunch of other companies running that week. If that’s the case I’ll be there.