DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

The context - from Dave

Zayn was the subject of controversy this past week due to the tweets regarding the Israel/Palestine conflict.  This wound up with pro-Israel groups and media contacting WWE, NBCU and FOX, which did not respond

EDIT - And this should go without saying - we aren't discussing the conflict in this thread or any other thread on the board.

If you have a burning desire to do so - find the Discord link

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

If you are wondering why #WeSupportSamiZayn is trending

Maybe this isn't actually happening and this is click bait but if there is some smoke to this can you imagine doing shit about this when you got a ref at NXT losing his damn mind in Florida council meeting on company time

But Wreddit is telling me this isn’t actually trending on Twitter, and it’s just the algorithm! But if it is trending, it’s just in the United States, so who cares!

All I’ll say is… based Sami.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Leave it to the board's Nordic dude to get all technical about Anderssens.  ?

On an episode of ARN a couple months ago, someone asked him if Arn was short for Arnold. I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of someone calling him Arnold or Arnie and being promptly punched soon after. He said no. Ole said it was a Nordic name. ARN.

I'm honestly surprised there wasn't a next generation of Anderson's. Didn't Ole, Lars, or Gene have any kids or at least nephews?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

On an episode of ARN a couple months ago, someone asked him if Arn was short for Arnold. I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of someone calling him Arnold or Arnie and being promptly punched soon after. He said no. Ole said it was a Nordic name. ARN.

I'm honestly surprised there wasn't a next generation of Anderson's. Didn't Ole, Lars, or Gene have any kids or at least nephews?

On the Studcast, Arn said JYD said he looked like an Anderson before he went to Georgia and changed his name. 

The infamous Zan Panzer (aka Zamfir Panflute) was Gene's son. 

21 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Your referee, RePeeWee Anderson (no relation)

I like that Arn's real life best friend was really named Anderson and his name is Lunde. 

• Like 3

Yeah, Gene's kid was AGENT STEELE.

Ole's son was a wrestler, but he started at like the wrong time. Ole had pretty much started to make himself persona non grata in WCW especially when Bischoff got the EP role. This somehow led to Cornette putting a booger on the windshield of Eric's car because he fired Ole's son when said son was at the Power Plant and doing jobs on TV.

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Was Karl Anderson ever a fake/knockoff Anderson?

You don't take the last name Anderson without trying to draw that connotation. According to Wikipedia, he began using the Anderson name when he began training at the NJ LA Dojo and was using the Spinebuster as a finisher during that time. Interestingly, Karl Anderson still used his real name Chad Allegra as ring name in his home promotion NWF in Ohio as late as 2013 (at least according to cagematch).

Of course if your real last name is Anderson, you might use that name without any hints of being related to Ole, Arn and Gene. I mean Mr. Kennedy would have been a horrible Anderson. It was a wise decision by WWE to change his last name when they called him up.

Edited by Robert s
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

I distinctly recall Ric Flair in an early 1986 TBS studio promo refer to him as my great cousin, Arnold Anderson...might have been the one where he came out to The Wanderer...

Not in this one, at least 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Arn is very probably a shortened version of Arne. The Arn- part has been used for quite a while in name compositions aswell, e. g. Arnulf which is a quite common name in medival Scandinavia. Arn should mean Eagle (which would make Arnulf eagle wolf, which is insanely badass) if whatever I learnt at university doesn't fail me now. 

Ole is also a Nordic name, if I remember it correctly it was interpreted as something that basically means son of the gods. The e in the end is pronounced differently, similar to the pronunciation of the e at the end of "the" when the word following starts with a consonant.

Gene is not Scandinavian, though. Neither is C. W.

Karl would be an old-germanic name, therefore fitting the theme somewhat. It simply means man, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Robert s said:

You don't take the last name Anderson without trying to draw that connotation. According to Wikipedia, he began using the Anderson name when he began training at the NJ LA Dojo and was using the Spinebuster as a finisher during that time. Interestingly, Karl Anderson still used his real name Chad Allegra as ring name in his home promotion NWF in Ohio as late as 2013 (at least according to cagematch).

If my real name were Chad Allegra, I'd go by that and call my finisher the Allergy Attack

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

If my real name were Chad Allegra, I'd go by that and call my finisher the Allergy Attack

And it's a claw hold, to complete the gimmick.

Props to Bryan Alvarez for removing that piece of garbage show where Dave Meltzer and Bruce Mitchell were allowed to mis-characterize Mitchell's garbage column from December. Supposedly it was posted without Alvarez's knowledge or consent.

New WWE trademarks:

THERE'S NEVER A BAD TIME TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. And I'M NOBODY'S BITCH.

Also in other WWE news:

WWE has already shut down their Talent Management Group. 

• Like 1