DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

If I'm Daniel Bryan, I wouldn't believe a fucking word out of Vince's or Funkhauser's or HHH's mouth about being able to work Japan, Mexico, and NXT. 

This isn't a "PLEASE GO TO AEW" thing, this is a "choose anything other WWE's bullshit" thing. WWE isn't the be all, end all of wrestling. Go finish your career doing what you love against the opponents you've dreamed of facing. You're not going to get that in WWE even if Vince says they can make that happen. They'll just go back on their word within a week.

• Like 6

Fuck, double posting. Anyway, look at Moxley. Without the pandemic he would have been able to work Japan more than he has. Even still, he's been able to do Bloodsport. Do all the things! CMLL, AAA, NJPW, AJPW, NOAH even, Bloodsport, AEW, etc. 

• Like 4

Oh, man, Bryan doing Bloodsport would be absolutely incredible.  And while I'm hoping he picks AEW as long Bryan just gets far away from WWE then I'll be fine with whatever he does.

I mean, his first Bloodsport opponent would have to be Barnett, right? I could maybe see them doing something wild and going with Moxley, but big man vs little man would be the shit.

I have nothing really to add to this conversation... But I would REALLY like if the American Dragon left WWE. I don't watch any WWE, and I miss me some Dragon.

I don't know Bryan's heart, but with some of the things he seems to believe in, i've been surprised at his staying with WWE as long as he has.

Hope he leave healthy, stay healthy, makes all the money and has a ton of merch on prowrestlingtees.com

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It might just be me, put from hearing all the things Brian has said over the last several years, it seems like all he wanted to do was have "dream matches" with other guys on the roster. And WWE's ungodly amount of TV programming how hard could that really be? You keep the guy happy doing what he wants and he doesn't mess with anything else on the show. They've long since beat down the fans to not expect anything out of his programs anyway.

1 hour ago, Valcourt said:

I don't know Bryan's heart, but with some of the things he seems to believe in, i've been surprised at his staying with WWE as long as he has.

This has surprised me as well, especially all of the blood money bullshit. I tend to understand why he re-signed the last time because they did allow him to wrestle again, he just had a daughter, and I believe Brie wanted him to stay as well. I think the situation is quite a bit different now. Brie and him have more than enough money to not care about whatever offer WWE gives him, he can escape all of the politicking and all of the scummy WWE bullshit, and he can just do whatever he wants.

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

It might just be me, put from hearing all the things Brian has said over the last several years, it seems like all he wanted to do was have "dream matches" with other guys on the roster. And WWE's ungodly amount of TV programming how hard could that really be? You keep the guy happy doing what he wants and he doesn't mess with anything else on the show. They've long since beat down the fans to not expect anything out of his programs anyway.

When he had the whole program with Cesaro and trying to build him up while challenging Roman, it really did feel like DB's last hurrah in WWE. He had all of the dream matches he could have in WWE, main evented two Wrestlemanias, and he's an instant hall of famer whenever he decides to hang it up. There's nothing left for him to do or prove in WWE unless it's changing the culture at the top, which is probably only going to happen when Nick Khan fully takes over the company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Do all the things! CMLL, AAA, NJPW, AJPW, NOAH even, Bloodsport, AEW, etc. 

Bryan freelancing in Japan so that I could get Bryan vs. Miyahara or Kiyomiya or Nakajima would by far be my favorite option...

• Like 1

Bryan in Hoodslam, please.

...no, I'm being serious here. Bryan vs. Drugs Bunny = $$$

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Having flashbacks to that promo with Paul London where theyre coming out of a supply closet with eyes as red as the devil's Johnson

29 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Bryan in Hoodslam, please.

...no, I'm being serious here. Bryan vs. Drugs Bunny = $$$

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, AxB said:

I wonder how much it would cost Tony Khan to licence The Final Countdown?

What’s Europe doing nowadays?  TK could probably pay them to play him out live every show for less than the actual rights to the song ?

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

If I'm Daniel Bryan, I wouldn't believe a fucking word out of Vince's or Funkhauser's or HHH's mouth about being able to work Japan, Mexico, and NXT. 

Bonus points for “Funkhauser.”  RIP

5 hours ago, Valcourt said:

5 hours ago, Valcourt said:

Like taking something he believes deeply in and making it the central focus of an annoying heel character?  I’d love to know how that conversation went and what mental gymnastics DBry did to enable himself to go along with it.

• Like 1

Bryan’s not going anywhere*. He’ll re-sign and it’ll be same ol’ shit. 

*I am very often wrong about these sorts of things. I’m hoping that by putting my opinion out into the world, it will cause it to not happen. 

• Like 4

On the one hand, I don't believe for a second Bryan is going to sign anywhere except the WWE.

On the other hand, I can't imagine Vince would voluntarily risk Bryan becoming a free agent even for 24 hours.  So presumably Bryan is the party not willing to agree to a new contract?  Maybe he's just holding out for more money or the right to work elsewhere part-time, or maybe he really is ready to go elsewhere and finish out his career.  

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm legit curious to see how this plays out.

• Like 1

Bryan reminds a lot of Mick Foley. He has this very idealistic, optimistic look at the positive change he can make in WWE and how he can make stars by putting them over and how he can advocate for people to get pushed and whatever. 

And what was clear with Mick and what is increasingly clear with Bryan is they both wasted/are wasting whatever value they have and nothing they do will ever matter in the long-term to the company. 

Look at how Mick came back over and over and each time he became more devalued and more of an afterthought to the point that the company doesn't even treat him like a big deal anymore and he was arguably the third biggest babyface of the Attitude Era. 

If Bryan digs the money, go for it. But he's deluding himself that anything he does will ever positively affect anything and the longer he sticks around the more he will be treated as just a guy. 

• Like 4

Jericho was the same way, but then he and Owens did all that great build towards their title match at Mania, and... Owens dropped the belt to Goldberg for no reason and their planned main event went on second. So he accepted that Vince didn't rate him any more, and left.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Move aside Bryan hype: Salina de la Renta is done with MLW.

I get it, but it kinda sucks. I hope wherever she goes next, she is used as great as she was in MLW.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Get the rights to blavk t-shirt squad from quack, reckless and don.

They're all old enough now that the Gold Bond Mafia can be the Icy Hot Mafia.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Bryan freelancing in Japan so that I could get Bryan vs. Miyahara or Kiyomiya or Nakajima would by far be my favorite option...

There is a Danielson vs. Nakajima match that happened in 2008 ROH (Glory by Honor). There even was a NOAH house show match Danielson & Roderick Strong vs. Nakajima & Miyahara. Obviously, all are different wrestlers now, but still.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1