DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

What did the Jedi Knight say to the Deathmatch Wrestler?

"May the forks be in you"

“I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old <Ian Rotten> on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did. It's your father's light <tube bundle>. This is the weapon of a <hardcore m’fr> . Not as clumsy or as random as a <barb wire chair> but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the <deathmatch workers> were the guardians of <hardcore> and <violence> in the <south>. Before the dark times, before the <pussy ass commission kicked us out of all the buildings>“

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

I'm thinking Daniel Bryan is going to NJPW, AEW, maybe try and get a deal to work both like Jon Moxley. Alternatively re-signs with WWE going part time. When the GOAT is a free agent, you do all you can to get him.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

I wonder how much it would cost Tony Khan to licence The Final Countdown?

I'm imagining AEW Double or Nothing 3 after the main event, the lights go out, The Final Countdown plays as Bryan Danielson appears on the stage. I'll be watching the event live and if that happened, I'd struggle getting back to sleep!

29 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I don't know if he still has to follow the 60 days deal with the contract expiring but if AEW ever wants to do the Lex Luger/Nitro deal tonight Bryan is really the only person to do that for

I'd think with the contract expiring, Bryan doesn't have to do the 60 days. Can you imagine if Bryan shows up on a live Dynamite or do Double or Nothing 3? Holy shit.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

If wwe offers him a limited schedule with the ability to work japan and Mexico I think he’s more than satisfied. Him showing up on dynamite tonight would completely overshadow blood and guts, but I guess you want to make the loudest noise you possibly can. We’ll see I guess. Funny how this is exactly like last time. Word gets out his contract is expiring, he starts doing interviews where he says wwe storytelling sucks, lists all these matches he wants to have, then signs a new deal with wwe. Now people find out his contract is expiring, he starts doing interviews complaining about wwe storytelling, listing matches he wants to have...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, matt925 said:

If wwe offers him a limited schedule with the ability to work japan and Mexico I think he’s more than satisfied. Him showing up on dynamite tonight would completely overshadow blood and guts, but I guess you want to make the loudest noise you possibly can. We’ll see I guess. Funny how this is exactly like last time. Word gets out his contract is expiring, he starts doing interviews where he says wwe storytelling sucks, lists all these matches he wants to have, then signs a new deal with wwe. Now people find out his contract is expiring, he starts doing interviews complaining about wwe storytelling, listing matches he wants to have...

When he did that before AEW wasn't a thing yet.  Considering it's a lax schedule (taping every two weeks) compared to WWE plus it's on cable it could be something that fits what he needs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When he did that before AEW wasn't a thing yet.  Considering it's a lax schedule (taping every two weeks) compared to WWE plus it's on cable it could be something that fits what he needs.

Yeah, feels different to me as well this go round.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Another difference is that his contract is actually expired this time, while last time it was just expiring. You would think that if he wanted to resign with WWE, he would have by now. He's got leverage now...hopefully he chooses freedom.

• Like 2

If I'm AEW, I'd hold on debuting Bryan until you have full crowds. Could Omega/Bryan sell out a smaller stadium? Give it enough advance booking so that the international fanbase can make plans, put it in a weekend destination location like Vegas, and I'd be curious how many seats in the Raiders stadium they could sell.

Dave Meltzer has confirmed that Bryan's contract expired this past Friday, and that WWE "is pushing hard for him to sign a new deal". Fightful Select were the first to report the news, saying that the contract was expired or was set to expire. They also said that this does not mean that he is leaving WWE, as he has been vocal about doing “unconventional work with and for WWE”.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/daniel-bryans-wwe-contract-expired-following-smackdown-match-340601

I think folks might wanna pump the brakes on their AEW dreams. I mean sure it could theoretically happen but if Bryan truly wants to also keep working with WWE - AEW is most likely the only place they wouldn't let work.

More realistically - Bryan is gonna try to be able to work Japan in addition to NXT (I mean technically Mexico too but unless he can jump onto that money mark PPV fed that will last one show... that might not work out). Meltzer had been weirdly adamant about Bryan can't work NXT because somehow that would throw off the pay scale. (It was clearly one of those weird Dave things)

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I don't know if he still has to follow the 60 days deal with the contract expiring but if AEW ever wants to do the Lex Luger/Nitro deal tonight Bryan is really the only person to do that for

I mean Jericho is not always the most trustworthy source, but he said that TNT was adamant about not having people surprise show up anymore, which is why the Christian stuff got teased for the PPV as opposed to TV. 

I think if there would ever be an exception to the rule, tonight would be it.  Anything other than tonight, they should advertise/build to a debut. But tonight a suprise would be huge, especially with the extra viewers this episode should draw.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer had been weirdly adamant about Bryan can't work NXT because somehow that would throw off the pay scale. (It was clearly one of those weird Dave things)

I can understand Dave's point on that considering what Bryan normally made.  Unless something changed recently I have a hard time believing anybody on NXT is making anything close to most people on the main roster save for maybe those on the bottom of the ladder.  So if he joins that then there's going to be a huge pay disparity that they're going to be forced to address.

EDIT:  Also, when it comes to those who are storyline leaving a brand have they historically gone to the Alumni section before switching over?  I don't remember that happening in the past so that's one reason why it's been hard for me to pump the brakes on AEW hopes.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

EDIT:  Also, when it comes to those who are storyline leaving a brand have they historically gone to the Alumni section before switching over?  I don't remember that happening in the past so that's one reason why it's been hard for me to pump the brakes on AEW hopes.

I am almost positive they have done it before. Like I am fairly certain they moved CM Punk over during that angle. Not implying that Bryan is in the middle of an angle just more a comment that him being moved over doesn't mean he won't resign in like 2 days.

I mean Sonya Deville is in the Alumni section and she is on WWE TV every week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to clarify on the "Turner said no surprises" thing

Yes - Jericho said that on his podcast

According to Chris Jericho, TNT preferred if a big surprise like Sting was teased or announced ahead of time in order to get the viewer to tune in.

"When Sting was a surprise, [TNT] was like 'don't do that again.' That's why Paul Wight was announced on social media because TNT said, 'We don't want surprises, we want to take advantage of the ratings.' We had a big surprise, a big announcement, and we used the big announcement to announce the next big surprise. I think that's one of the reasons too, to spread it out a little," Jericho said on Talk Is Jericho.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-says-tnt-told-aew-don-t-do-again-after-sting-came-surprise

Which then lead to Tony Khan having to clean that up

Following Jericho’s statement, Tony Khan offered some clarification during an interview with Mike Johnson of PWInsider Elite (subscription required).

Khan stated Jericho’s statement wasn’t exactly how the conversation happened, as he was the one speaking with TNT representatives. He also made it clear, “TNT never said don’t do surprises”. He did however state there is a balance in how announcements should be made, with some making more sense in advance, while others work as surprises.

“It’s a mixed bag, I would say it is exactly how it happened…Point being I don’t think that’s exactly how the conversation happened, I know, I’m the one who had it. That’s not exactly how the conversation with TNT went. There’s a balance between announcing things in advance like we’ve done with Mike [Tyson] coming in for this week, or with Paul Wight coming in, telling fans in advance when something’s coming, or surprises that came out of nowhere like when Sting showed up. I think that’s a great balance to have, and I think we’ll be doing both”

“I want to make it clear, TNT never said don’t do surprises, they thought that was great, and they got a huge reaction to Sting, and I think in doing the announcement with Paul, they were excited to do one with a press release, it’s a great strategy” (Transcript HeelByNature.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1