DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/28/2021

Re: Kingston/Moxley-Kenny/Nakazawa

This awful segment topped last week’s show stinker.  So Kingston doesn’t want the sports entertainment horseshit so instead of wrestling Nak he turns the whole segment into exactly what he didn’t want?  Why on earth would Mox/King rather have a tag match with Nak/Omega than just flat out injure them?  I mean doesn’t Eddie owe Kenny a receipt?  And where are the Goods and the Bucks during all of this?  

Ha, that ridiculous segment aside, great show as per usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some smart booking on this show. Echoing others in thinking Cage over Page was a genuine surprise and a good next step in Page’s journey. I was fully expecting a kick out and ready to criticise for Cage for killing off his own finisher. Cage, as in the Darby match, is much better when he just dominates. Even the flashy shit worked well here, as he missed the standing moonsault leading to a brief Page comeback. If he’s going to insist on throwing in those kind of spots that’s exactly what they should be - his weakness. Win was clean enough that it put Cage over and dirty enough that it protected Page.

Similarly, OC’s win was dirty enough that it protected Penta somewhat, but clean enough (in the sense that it was a heel comeuppance spot) that it made the faces look smart rather than like cheats. The Best Friends group are consistently the most likeable faces in AEW (what’s with Chuck being absent the last couple of Dynamites?). I thought that was the best Penta has looked in ages. The drawn out taunt-off actually was really fun here and I loved the press slam catch.

Bucks have quickly done a complete 180 from being one of my least favourite things on the show. Just so much better as heels.

Those last few seconds of the Miro beat down with him sort of gaslighting Kip made it great. I’ve got little interest in Kip and, like everyone, have been waiting on Miro breaking away. But I thought he actually came off sympathetic here and I now wouldn’t mind him sticking around Miro a bit and doing a variation on the Virgil turn (I’m blanking on a more accurate comparison for bully friend being a dick to littler guy).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Schiavone said that Nick Cocomo reminded him of a cross between Bruiser Brody and Billy Jack Hayes so I’m still the only one who sees Hercules Hernandez 

Great. Now that song is in my head. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kev said:

The drawn out taunt-off actually was really fun here and I loved the press slam catch.

I don't remember ever seeing that spot before.  Why did Penta invent it and not someone like Brian Cage?  Strange.

26 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I don't remember ever seeing that spot before.  Why did Penta invent it and not someone like Brian Cage?  Strange.

I’m pretty sure Cage actually does a variation on it, a tope caught into a vertical suplex.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Some smart booking on this show. Echoing others in thinking Cage over Page was a genuine surprise and a good next step in Page’s journey. I was fully expecting a kick out and ready to criticise for Cage for killing off his own finisher. Cage, as in the Darby match, is much better when he just dominates. Even the flashy shit worked well here, as he missed the standing moonsault leading to a brief Page comeback. If he’s going to insist on throwing in those kind of spots that’s exactly what they should be - his weakness. Win was clean enough that it put Cage over and dirty enough that it protected Page.

I don't necessarily mean this as a shot at WWE, but I'm very sick of "top face overcomes the odds". Once the match started after Page being beaten down, I was immediately thinking "he shouldn't win this". And... he didn't!  Thumbs up.

13 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

- I like Jade running the "Savage enters the WWF" angle w/r/t managers

A substantial chunk of my Twitter timeline thinks this ends up with her having a manager, possibly someone new to the company. Idk, my takeaway from those segments has been "everyone wants to manage Jade but she doesn't need a manager".

• Like 5

Yeah, it feels like going into the early Chyna role would already feel like a step back at this stage. But, I wonder if some sort of power couple thing would work (kind of like she was introduced as an associate of Shaq, but do it with an actual worker and have them on an equal footing rather than her just being his valet).

On the one hand, you want her out there as much as possible to learn, but then you don’t want to risk overexposing her. So having her as muscle let’s her learn from the apron as suggested and keeps her relevant on tv while limiting her actual tv ring time. Plus you can throw in more mixed tags which saves her just running through the women’s division too quickly.

• Like 2

She was was established as a heel in the shitty Rhodes feud with backstage attacks on Brandi and Red Velvet, plus picking the fight with Cody for no real reason.

But yeah, cocky athletic freak is potentially an easy pivot to face. If she continues to improve and does cool shit in the ring then the fans may turn her face at some point.

I wound up watching the main event this morning because I watched the show late last night and fell asleep right before Darby vs 10.

Thought the show was really good with a lot of moving parts. Hangman losing in a quasi-squash match was ultra shocking. Cage looked very impressive and Hangman looked human and vulnerable, which I think works well for him. The other thing that shocking loss did is it made the rest of the night feel very unpredictable. I think nearly every match that followed gave me the feeling that the Bucks could lose or Statlander could lose or even Darby could lose. Very great way to start the show.

BTW, if you needed further proof that AEW does comedy better than most any other promotion, the chyron for Hangman this week said something like "Got jumped by a high schooler" about a half a second before he got jumped by Cage. I laughed my ass off and had to pause.

The Bucks are so good as heels. The Johnny Cage dick punch was great. 

The vignette with the Bullet Clurb or whatever they're calling themselves was hilarious as well. Don Callis is a gem.

Duuuuuuuuudes. It has taken awhile, but the moneyball approach to the women's division has paid off. I might be enjoying this women's division more that WWE's. I still don't think there's anything here that is going to be comparable to Bianca winning the title in the main event or Sasha and Bayley's epic matches, but the AEW women's division is pretty fucking good. Again, I don't know how, but Penelope got really good. Not to mention that Statlander, which good before being injured, is another woman on the roster who went out with an injury and returned even better. I love their women's division.

Miro fucking up Kip and then comforting him was the best. Savage Miro is fucking awesome.

After two shitty promos, Jericho FINALLY cut a good promo again. In fact, everyone in the parley cut good promos. I would have liked to hear from Wardlow, but whatever. Spears suckering in Sammy to willfully accept Pinnacle having the man advantage was fine because it lead to a great promo from Sammy. If Sammy's promo flopped, then it wouldn't have worked. Besides, the coin flip for War Games matches always working out for the heels except for that time in WCW is always kinda dumb. 

Darby is fucking otherworld good. Someone else in this thread made the case for him being the wrestler of the year and I have to agree. I know Darby is still under contract for awhile, but if I were TK, I'd being trying to give him an extension right away. Preston Vance is kinda whatever, but he looked really good here. Darby carried him to a great match and showed that 10 has the potential to be more than what he is now. He does need to either lose the mask or get a cooler mask like Uno's because his mask right now with the "10" for the eyeholes and the smile makes it look like he's a kid's version of a Juggalo. Also, that wheelbarrow German suplex should be his finisher instead of the full nelson.

Another really good episode of Dynamite. Sometimes these episodes have a lot of moving parts and there can be too much to follow, but I appreciate them setting stuff up for next week or planting the seeds for something to happen weeks down the line. Case in point, Darby beat Scorp however long ago and then Scorp turns heel. I think a lot of fans are used to there being a follow up the next week and when that doesn't happen, it feels like the turn or angle is forgotten. Instead, the seeds were planted, Scorp bided his time and aligned with Ethan Page, and now they're making a run at Darby and Sting. PLUS, you have the stuff with Archer and Sting intertwined as well. It makes it feel synergistic in a way that I haven't seen since '98 to '01 WWE.

• Like 4

On 4/29/2021 at 12:35 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Hercules was my first thought. Or Lou Ferrigno as Hercules. 

51-Ty2qxq9L._AC_.jpg

Only if Lou had hair sprouting out of his chest and back.  Nick is a very hirsute fellow to say the least.

Great show!  I was also stunned that Cage beat Page but why the fuck not?  Page can take a loss and Brian Cage put on a fucking clinic.  Kudos to the booking crew for protecting the Drillclaw.

The Sydals are reinventing themselves as energetic babyfaces and it is totally great.   The Young Bucks heel work baffles me.  Even King Kong Bundy could work a match against opposition he knew he could crush without making a complete asshole out of himself.  The mugging for the camera and blatant kayfabe disrespect for their competition just makes me roll my eyes.  It all seems a bit unnecessary.  I get it.  You are the bad guys and arrogance is your hubris.  You are not afraid to cheat to win.  The Sydals are not as good of a team as you two are; at least not yet.   Can you just beat the shit out of the babyfaces who aren't ready to be in the ring with you and win the match, please.

RIP SCU since we know that the Bucks won't be dropping the belts to Kaz and Daniels unless they pass the book to someone totally insane.

As much as I love me some Penta, I'm really happy to see Orange Cassidy get some quality wins over serious opposition.  I like the story about Abrahantes's arrogance costing Penta the match and the BFs vs. Triangle of Death trios match should be fucking great.

Pres10 vs Allin was a pretty good squable.  I like the idea of Allin as the David of Scientific Wrestling killing Goliaths with leverage, technique, and speed.  It adds a dimension to Darby for opponents who aren't expecting those sorts of tactics from a little tattooed guy wearing facepaint.  You always hear about the veteran's experience edge, but you rarely see it showcased effectively by guys without the last name of Flair or Misawa.

I am not sure what is the more convincing proof of Kip Sabian's bravery:  being rag dolled by Miro or wearing that fucking shirt?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Sometimes these episodes have a lot of moving parts and there can be too much to follow, but I appreciate them setting stuff up for next week or planting the seeds for something to happen weeks down the line. Case in point, Darby beat Scorp however long ago and then Scorp turns heel. I think a lot of fans are used to there being a follow up the next week and when that doesn't happen, it feels like the turn or angle is forgotten. Instead, the seeds were planted, Scorp bided his time and aligned with Ethan Page, and now they're making a run at Darby and Sting. PLUS, you have the stuff with Archer and Sting intertwined as well. It makes it feel synergistic in a way that I haven't seen since '98 to '01 WWE.

I think there was good and bad examples of the slow-burn, roster rotation style of booking on the show. The Scorp stuff was good as you say. Well foreshadowed, without being completely obvious so the attack still had an element of surprise.

Then there was the SCU thing, which was just a bit flat. The outline of the story is good - SCU announce the break-up stip, friendship/history with the Bucks established on screen, win streak leads to them becoming no.1 contenders, nicely aligning with the Bucks heel turn. The problem being that the win streak has pretty much all happened away from Dynamite, with the only meaningful SCU appearance I can remember in months being Kaz’s Christian match. In this case SCU have been out of the picture too long and they don’t feel like credible challengers, I was actually wondering recently whether they’d dropped the angle. Throw in a couple of Dynamite wins against the likes of Private Party and hype up their Dark win streak and I think this works better.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

This awful segment topped last week’s show stinker.  So Kingston doesn’t want the sports entertainment horseshit so instead of wrestling Nak he turns the whole segment into exactly what he didn’t want?  Why on earth would Mox/King rather have a tag match with Nak/Omega than just flat out injure them?  I mean doesn’t Eddie owe Kenny a receipt?  And where are the Goods and the Bucks during all of this?  

They want to kick the shit out of Omega and, I assume, their plan is to kill Nakazawa and then take apart Omega. Plus, Kingston isn't in the rankings so maybe he's thinking that beating Omega in this tag match will get him there? I'm not saying it makes sense but it makes wrestling sense and that's enough. Wrestling sense also drove Cody Rhodes to lock in a submission on the top of a bus instead of throwing QT off to the concrete below but both things looked cool so it doesn't matter.

I love Darby getting a win by a different means every week, Ditto on the love for the Bret Spot.

I also love that in AEW microphone shot equals death apparently. does this all lead to Kingston vs Kenny at DON?

Star turn from Nick Comoroto tonight, and Sammy continues to look like a rising star. Loved the Bob Dylan promo.

Also loving psycho Miro

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1

Speaking of shirts, Ethan Page already looked like a golf jock last week but this week he looked one tied sweater over the shoulders from being the land developer's son from The Goonies. I guess if you have to have a heel look, and everyone else is just really sleazy...

(That said I don't give two shits about Page. I want KARATE MAN~!

...which of course he will never do again.)

20 hours ago, EVA said:

My main takeaway from Bucks/Sydal’s is that, based on his bizarre selling, Mike Sydal has never actually been hit in the balls before.  Lucky guy.

Someone tried to hit him in the balls, but he used his Yoga powers to suck his balls up inside his body and shield them behind his pelvic floor muscles.

The ratings went down, but they were going against the Presidential address. Which just goes to show, you should never open the For Biden Door.

• Haha 8

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

The ratings went down, but they were going against the Presidential address. Which just goes to show, you should never open the For Biden Door.

Now that's a quality dad joke!  Nice one.  And say what you will about Seth but fair play to him that was funny stuff. 

I have to laugh about people freaking out about the ratings.  I'm knee deep in the wrestling bubble and even I know better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

"We want it ASAP"

"No, not on Dark. Dynamite will do".

• Haha 2