DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/28/2021

Real talk: What a run of very good to genuinely great Dynamites we've had recently!

March 3rd we got Shaq and Jade surprising all of us by being pretty damned good in there, and Tully f'n Blanchard in the ring wrestling...

March 17th we got @The Natural's #3 AEW match of all time, Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D (w/ Rebel) vs. Thunder Rosa, and Mox & King vs. The Good Brothers...

March 24th Darby and Silver burned the house down, The Lucha Brothers teamed with Laredo Kid, Tay vs Nyla...

March 31st we got Arcade Anarchy!! Also: Christian vs Kaz...

April 7th had the regrettable EVP emo in the main event... but we also got JD Drake and Bear Country on the main stage, Page vs Caster, Tay vs Bunny...

and I don't think I need to remind anyone how remarkably solid and entertaining the last two weeks of shows have been...

And this week we get:

Cage vs Page: Can Page keep his momentum going? Can Cage finally get a big win for Team Tazz? Will they execute an interesting take on the David vs Goliath formula? Will the massive Dark Order run-in and brawl happen at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end of the match?

PEZM vs Orangey Boy: Death Triangle vs Best Friends at DoN? They're getting me into that idea!

Dustin Rhodes, Lee Johnson, & Billy Gunn vs QT Marshall, Aaron Solow & Nick Comoroto: I'm really hoping they build on that bit where Comoroto took a wooden chair to the dome without flinching. They might really have something with that guy. I'm looking forward to him and Dustin going toe-to-toe.

Kris Statlander vs Penelope Ford: Probably a set-up for the next stage of the Miro and Sabian story... but the match has both back-story and genuine sleeper potential. 

Sydal Brothers vs Young Bucks, 10 vs Darby Allin for the TNT Title: Two matches that I don't think had any real build (but I've been busy and probably missed something) and in both cases the outcome seems like a foregone conclusion... but both will likely be very entertaining, in wildly different ways. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Sydal Brothers vs Young Bucks, 10 vs Darby Allin for the TNT Title: Two matches that I don't think had any real build (but I've been busy and probably missed something) and in both cases the outcome seems like a foregone conclusion... but both will likely be very entertaining, in wildly different ways. 

Apologies if you knew any of this but FWIW I see the tag resulting from Kenny's Elevation-focused feud with Matt Sydal.  From the way it went to the title match to the 6-man he had that included Takeshita I can see all of that leading to his friends wanting a piece of the Sydals.  As for 10 Darby wants Dark Order members to challenge as a way to pay tribute to the greatest TNT champion (his words)  Which is a neat way to get fresh challengers while also paying respect to Brodie and the group he helped make relevant.  I'm rather excited for both matchups and that's on top of the rest of the lineup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the OP and the shoutout, @El Gran Gordi!

Darby Allin is having a great run as TNT Champion with the defences against Brian Cage (my favourite of the lot), John Silver and Jungle Boy. Expect that to continue vs. Ten tonight.

Going into Allin/Boy on last week's Dynamite, I thought that would be my Match of the Night but instead it went to Shida/Conti.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Real talk: What a run of very good to genuinely great Dynamites we've had recently!

March 3rd we got Shaq and Jade surprising all of us by being pretty damned good in there, and Tully f'n Blanchard in the ring wrestling...

March 17th we got @The Natural's #3 AEW match of all time, Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D (w/ Rebel) vs. Thunder Rosa, and Mox & King vs. The Good Brothers...

March 24th Darby and Silver burned the house down, The Lucha Brothers teamed with Laredo Kid, Tay vs Nyla...

March 31st we got Arcade Anarchy!! Also: Christian vs Kaz...

April 7th had the regrettable EVP emo in the main event... but we also got JD Drake and Bear Country on the main stage, Page vs Caster, Tay vs Bunny...

and I don't think I need to remind anyone how remarkably solid and entertaining the last two weeks of shows have been...

March 10 also had the Pinnacle formation (and the best Maki Itoh entrance)

• Like 1

Goddamn that overhead belly to belly Brian Cage did on Hangman Page was positively Scott Steiner-esque. There was a ton of stuff in this match but that was the one thing that stood out to me. No problem with Page losing here since it took Team Taz jumping him before the bell. Cage should always be on offense in his matches. I thought this was a good way to keep Cage strong without really hurting Page.

I can't believe I give a shit about a QT Marshall angle. Stop putting Billy Gunn on TV, fucking please. Cody looks a bit de-gassed, thankfully.

Kingston and Moxley threatening to break ankles was great.

That Rusev assault on Sabian was badass. Maybe his best AEW segment so far.

I've never liked Yuji Nagata much and that's never going to change. He's a mechanically fine wrestler capable of filling minutes, who has boring matches unless someone better forces him to do stuff. It's still fucking amazing there's a nationally televised wrestling company in 2021 that is just like "Impact, AAA, New Japan, whatever we don't give a fuck, come on down, this is a wrestling company". Refreshing.

I liked the main event. More back and forth than most other Allin matches lately. Hot take: Darby Allin might be closer to being the man of 1004 holds than Chris Jericho ever was. He breaks out a ton of single use stuff when he needs it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Their deciding all they wanted was a meaningless tag match was less great.

It's also possible that they couldn't get title shot just by coercion.  Eddie isn't ranked.  Beat Omega in a match, even a tag match, you get ranked fast, especially with the decent resume Kingston has.

• Like 3

Very enjoyable show. Shocked that Cage beat Hangman in a little over 5 minutes. so Hangman is definitely not beating Omega any time soon at all. I initially thought Christian would get the Double or Nothing shot but they seemed to have stalled back on that since his debut segment. Tonight felt more like Kingston would be next in line. Loved Orange/Pentagon. Aside from kinda no selling the Canadian Destroyer, everything else was pretty great. Pentagon catching Orange's dive in to a press slam was awesome. Especially liked the babyfaces actually outsmarting the heels to win. Penelope looked good, feels like forever since she had a match on Dynamite. Loved Cody's grand return and him standing tall atop the Nightmare Express. Main event came quick and another super solid Darby defense. Really good finish, thought it was one of the better versions of that pin reversal.

Thought the build to Blood and Guts was excellent, really great job putting over the match as epic from all involved. Also good to know it's not going to be the only match on the show next week as was rumored at one point. Instead, next week looks like another stacked show! Cody/QT, the Moxley/Eddie tag, 4 way tag, etc. Very much looking forward to, as Jericho put it, the Summer of VIOLENCE~! beginning.  Plus hyped for Yuji Nagata coming in the following week, that is fantastic. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

I missed Nagata, who's he facing? 

Agreed that the Cage squash was refreshing. Page has a beautiful Orihara. 

The last sequences in the main were supercool, the Bret reversal pin was a perfect re-use of that spot. Out comes 10 looking like a weiner with that fucking mask but he was just smashing Darby to shit. I didn't even know he used the Full Nelson! 

Cody giving his hated rival a Figure Four on top of his bus instead of just pitching him off onto the 25 wrestlers gathered below was definitely weak sauce. 

EDIT: Then again with this company's history of wrestlers falling from great heights maybe it's good they didn't do that

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Yeah there's no way they have a plan to do stuff, you're so right

We'll see what happens, but I can't think what they could be planning to do that they couldn't do in, say, a title match.

11 minutes ago, alstein said:

It's also possible that they couldn't get title shot just by coercion.  Eddie isn't ranked.  Beat Omega in a match, even a tag match, you get ranked fast, especially with the decent resume Kingston has.

Eddie wasn't ranked when he faced Moxley for the title. He got his second shot because the champ wanted to face him. So if he could get the champ's manager to agree to a title shot, why wouldn't that work?

- So they start out with "anything can happen!" and I'm all like "At least three of these matches have 100% foregone conclusions" and then Cage goes over clean in the middle of the ring with his finisher! (But, like @Death From Abovesaid, with a pre-match mugging and interference so Page has a reason to get a rematch) ... wow. Did not see that coming. 

- And to answer my question from earlier, the run-in and brawl came at the beginning of the match. Right choice, there. 

- Kenny is used to "numb-nut, non-sport people trying to bring us down a notch." I can believe that!

- The Bucks going from cutting of the tassels -> being even more obnoxious rich fashion boys = a too sweet heel move

- If you hated Bucks vs Sydels there is a good chance you just might be a pro wrestling grandpa!

- Bucks really are much better as obnoxious heels, even though we all know what sweethearts they are "in real life"

- lol at JR pronouncing "channeling" as "challenging"

- The ole Killer Bees switcheroo!

- The cold spray spot cracked me up. 

- I like Jade running the "Savage enters the WWF" angle w/r/t managers

- I'm loving PEZM's (new?) entrance gear!

- If you hated the PEZM vs Orangey gesture battle, you just might be a pro wrestling grandpa!

- I liked the "turn about is fair play" mic spot finish. Long term story telling!

- JR asking "How cool is Orange Cassidy?" was the least cool Orange Cassidy has ever seemed to me

- Rebel adds so much to BBDMD's presentation, and so does Baker's chemistry with Tony.

- Tully looking handsome as hell!

- Tony's reactions were my favourite part of the Pinochle and Inner Tube "parley"

- They also set up or Blood and Guts pretty nicely there.

- Mox & King are just so reliably excellent.

- If you don't like the nose boop spot...

- I sincerely appreciate JR restraining himself from commenting non-stop on Penelope's physical appearance. 

- I wish there weren't so many commercials during that match. I really liked what we got to see.

- Orangey Boy nonchalantly stopping Kip's interference was great character work.

- I love that THE BUS has become part of the Family vs Factory feud

- Billy Gun is all WMII Hogan-ed up. Long term story telling!

- Comoroto with the tassles,a nd he's looking more John Nord-ish every week.

- Gimme Comoroto vs Dustin in a bullrope match, please!

- Blue Justice the Puroresu Dad is coming to AEW! Just do a Nagata vs Ishii-style slugfest, pleeeease, lads. Like the one I posted on Nagata's birthday in the general puroresu thread. That's not too much to ask, is it?

- Now we are going to get the Miro we've all been hoping for.

- "Good talk." ?

- Darby has to be in the conversation for "absolute best pro wrestler in the entire world" right now

Loved the awkward-looking Bret Hart finish

- I'm always a sucker for a well-earned "mutual respect" spot. I thought the torn mask added to that vibe.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3