DVDVR Message Board

Best AEW Matches Ever.

The Natural

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What do we think about Blood and Guts? There were things I liked from the match: the violence, #FTR, Sammy Guevara, Santana and Ortiz. Things I didn't, everything outside the cage. I rarely do when that happens. To me the latter outweighs the good and that's why I can't vote for it.

To me Blood and Guts may be more a of a great spectacle than a great match if that makes sense   

• Like 2

Gotta nominate the Elite vs Hangman / Dark Order from tonight’s Dynamite. This was glorious all the way from the amazing entrances to the surprising ending.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

All Out is coming up. Out of the announced matches, I have high expectations for CM Punk vs. Darby Allin, Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage and Andrade vs. PAC. Ditto for the rumoured Miro vs. Eddie Kingston match as well.

Off the top of my head:

- Kenny vs Janela

- Kenny vs Jack Evans

- Ben Carter vs Lee Johnson 

- Avalon vs Cutler saga

- QT vs Fuego

- Dante Martin vs Matt Sydal

- Pac vs Jack Evans

- Lucha Brothers vs Sydal Brothers

Some of these are Dark or Elevation. I stopped watching most of it during the pandemic except here and there as the shows were simply too long. But they seem to be having fun matches lately now that the crowds are back so I watch a few during my lunch breaks at work.

Edited by eikerir
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, eikerir said:

Gotta nominate the Elite vs Hangman / Dark Order from tonight’s Dynamite. This was glorious all the way from the amazing entrances to the surprising ending.

Second this. It was aided a bit by the whitest of white hot crowds, and the Hangman/DO entrance video was SUPERB, but the Dark Order guys really raised their in-ring game to match Omega & the Bucks and they worked circles around Gallows & Anderson. That shit felt like a big deal from beginning to end, and Stu Greyson may have put himself in a new tax bracket with his performance in that match. It's also remarkable to me how insanely over John Silver is, and good for him.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's All Out weekend! I'm thinking these matches will deliver and make my updated top twenty:

Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage.

Miro vs. Eddie Kingston, the match I'm most looking forward to.

The Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros in a steel cage.

CM Punk vs. Darby Allin. Punk's first match in seven years.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 3:27 PM, The Natural said:

It's All Out weekend! I'm thinking these matches will deliver and make my updated top twenty:

Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage.

Miro vs. Eddie Kingston, the match I'm most looking forward to.

The Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros in a steel cage.

CM Punk vs. Darby Allin. Punk's first match in seven years.

Been up since 11:30pm and it's now 09:11am so before I try to get some sleep, Miro/Eddie Kingston and Lucha Bros/Young Bucks would definitely make a new top twenty. Probably CM Punk/Darby Allin as well. Need to watch Kenny Omega/Christian Cage back as I was tiring a tad. I thought the Rampage match, 13th August was better.

Edited by The Natural

Maybe it’s the pure emotion and pay off, but I’d rank Lucha Bros vs YB as the best. Builds off everything the YB have done as heels, with none of their tricks working combined with Fenix making some crazy comebacks with insane near falls and minimal attempts to escape the cage.

That said, AEW is an embarrassment of riches. Every big show seems to have at least one genuine MOTY candidate. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeathyBoy said:

Maybe it’s the pure emotion and pay off, but I’d rank Lucha Bros vs YB as the best. Builds off everything the YB have done as heels, with none of their tricks working combined with Fenix making some crazy comebacks with insane near falls and minimal attempts to escape the cage.

That said, AEW is an embarrassment of riches. Every big show seems to have at least one genuine MOTY candidate. 

I still rank Kenny/Hangman vs Bucks as number one, but that cage match is a close second, at least for tag matches IMO.

The emotion shown at the end with Penta/Fenix and the girls was something else.

• Like 2

I have been going through the archives. I saw someone post on here somewhere about the Arcade match with Best Friends and Kip having an awesome finish. 

That entire match ruled. I love all of the goofiness of Best Friends so much. You can really see the Chikara influence in their stuff in how their big feuds come together at the end. The scene at the end with all four of them in the ring hugging, Trent’s mom in the mini-van giving a thumb’s up with “Where Is My Mind” playing and Tony screaming “Stay tuned for The Accountant coming up next!” is how every wrestling show should end.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So it's 03:13am UK time and AEW Dynamite Grand Slam, 22nd September 2021 ended ten minutes ago. I was most looking forward to the Greatest of All Time, Bryan Danielson in his first AEW match against Kenny Omega. The dream match between Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega lived up to the pressure put upon them. What a fucking match. One of the best in AEW history. The time flew by. *****. 

Sting/Darby Allin vs. FTR from the same show was my favourite Sting match in AEW.

Edited by The Natural

I'd definitely say a solid 4 star, 4 and a half star. Didn't like they went back to the well  with the chop/kicks thing multiple times, and they kept it a smidge below top gear to give them somewhere to go to, but you have to think they could have added another 15 minutes to that match and sold it on PPV even not in super top gear.

Post All Out 2021 and Dynamite Grand Slam update. Four new matches make it while some matches have moved up, others have dropped.

20. Jon Moxley vs. Mr. Brodie Lee. Double or Nothing 2020.

19. Miro vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW All Out 2021.

18. Cody vs. Eddie Kingston. Dynamite, 22nd July 2020.

17. Darby Allin/Sting vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. Dynamite, 22nd September 2021.

16. Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston. Full Gear 2020.

15. Stadium Stampede. Double or Nothing 2020.

14. Jon Moxley vs. Lance Archer. AEW Dynamite, 21st July 2021.

13. Darby Allin vs. Brian Cage. Dynamite, 13th January 2021.

12. Pentagon/Fenix vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. All Out 2019.

11. Kenny Omega vs. PAC. Dynamite, 26th February 2020..

10. Trent/Chuck Taylor vs. Santana/Ortiz. Dynamite, 16th September 2020.

9. Cody vs. Mr Brodie Lee. Dynamite, 22nd August 2020.

8. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Pentagon/Fenix. AEW All Out 2021. *****.

7. Mr Brodie Lee vs. Cody. Dynamite, 7th October 2020. *****.

6. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. Full Gear 2020. *****.

5. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. Double or Nothing 2019. *****. 

4. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. Dynamite, 17th March 2021. *****.

3. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson. Revolution 2020. *****.

2. Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. Dynamite, 30th December 2020.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

----

What an amount of terrific matches from All Elite Wrestling in such a short space of time, 2019-2021. Look how many matches I rated ***** and TV matches that have made it. There would only be a few TV matches in my Best WWE Matches Ever.

I think for a company that sort of runs on what would it look like if PWG had national TV and money to an extent, I'm more impressed with how fun and logical almost everything is about the shows than I am how many classics and snowflakes they get. I thought they'd have more high end matches at this point to be honest, but because they're predominantly a tv company, they book for sustainability over anything else and it works 100%. It's anti NJPW in some ways. Guys don't go out trying to have the best match constantly. Instead many matches serve a purpose beyond that and I didn't think the company would be like that. It's smart. So even on shows like last week's dynamite where none of the matches were great imo, everything clicked and it was a tremendous two hours of wrestling. The sum is greater than the parts often with AEW tv. The company is fantastic at giving us just the right amount of stuff that they always leave the audience wanting more but we feel like they've given us quite a bit and we can see there's more to come. Omega/Danielson a perfect example. What they gave us ruled, but we know there's more to come and when that comes there's Hangman chilling. It's anti WWE too. Things feel special constantly because they don't throw away big matches and rarely do I feel it hurts the show. There was that one dynamite about a month ago that sucked real bad but that's incredibly rare. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Things feel special constantly because they don't throw away big matches and rarely do I feel it hurts the show.

i couldn't agree more, and the bolded part is especially surprising and refreshing. Think about how many big matches have happened on Dynamite (and, to a lesser extent, Rampage). They continuously run BIG matches, but none of them feel throw away. that's a feat in and of itself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Top 10-ish, the fact that it was a dream match but a one-off keeps it from being higher I think. 

To clarify: I think that some of the other matches had a storyline that made the match itself bigger. (thunder rosa-Britt Baker, for example).This was the science and brutality of wrestling, but because it was "Just a dream match" with no/little build up, keeps the "artistic" side down just very slightly.

Or if I can use the old figure skating judges scoreline, 6.0's (max) for technical), 5.8's for artistical.

On 9/25/2021 at 3:51 PM, For Great Justice said:

You know after all this time I still think the parking lot brawl might be my personal favorite AEW match. It just captures the joy that is at the heart of the promotion that is so unique and fun to watch. 

The ending with Trent’s mom flipping off Santana and Ortiz still ranks as one if my favourite AEW moments. Can’t wait for Trent to be back so we get another fun run with the real Best Friends and more feel good moments like this.

• Like 2