DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/21/2021

It's amazing how much better promos Matt and Nick are as heels.

Lots of really good matches tonight. I think MJF could dial back the yelling a little bit, but otherwise another great promo from him.

Damn good show overall.

• Like 2

Good stuff. They've made a huge improvement to wardrobing recently and it brings the whole product up too: Inner Circle, Bucks, Alex Abrahantes all with solid looks. Bucks are different league as heels. Who knew?? The Penta + Alex combo smashing it out of the park. Conti is gold. Moxley + Kingston attacking the trailer very 90s, as is their 'super-team', which is fun. Darby continues to cultivate main-event status. Can do without the Archer stuff, but otherwise packing the show with young high octane stars who look great & a few known vets sprinkled around. Other than Cody's painful-face act which is thankfully far from the show at the moment, there's not a whole lot that hasn't been addressed. Billy Gunn in remarkable shape for a guy verging 60.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

This might belong in the general thread, but the prospect of Bucks vs Kingston/Mox got me wondering, what are historical examples of great small/flying heel vs larger babyface tag team matches? I’m drawing a blank but I’m sure I’m just a moron. 

Hmm .. Kingston is sort of same size as Omega/Page. Moxley a bit bigger. They don't dwarf them though. Physically the gaps aren't that much bigger than, say, Hardys/E&C were, strange as it may sound.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A_K said:

Hmm .. Kingston is sort of same size as Omega/Page. Moxley a bit bigger. They don't dwarf them though. Physically the gaps aren't that much bigger than, say, Hardys/E&C were, strange as it may sound.

True. Yeah I guess its more a style thing than a size thing. Brawling babyfaces vs. smaller stooging heels? Like did Dick Murdoch and Terry Funk ever work baby against the Midnights? Shit now I want to see that...

46 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's amazing how much better promos Matt and Nick are as heels.

It just makes me wonder if they are jerks in real life.  I kinda hope not.

Bless you, Tarzan Boy for being incorruptible.  The pure baby face still has a place in pro wrestling. 

That being said, Darby Allin sure can cut a great promo.

I am digging the street fighting brothers of violence pairing of Eddie Kingston and Jon Moxley.  They remind me a lot of the redneck messiahs of death union of Mance Warner and Sami Callihan who would not wait for formal wrestling matches and just attacked whomever they were feuding with in locker rooms and stairwells and shit, until the heels went screaming to management to book a showdown in an actual ring.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Conti still has more to do, but she is getting there and cool to see her development. Between her, Cargill, Velvet and Britt, they have a few solid female workers who are all improving and should be the focal point of the division once they get past the joshi era.

Darby vs Jungle Boy was a really good match, juxtaposed with a god awful Luchasaurus-Sting exchange. Would happily see them match up again in future but I guess we have to see Darby/Archer vs Page/Sky next. I am sure someone out there wants to see that match but it's not me.

They have been pushing Page as #1 contender for weeks now with zero indication of a title match. Are they going to run that at the PPV? Or hold off on it? Seems like a strange move to have Page so strong if they aren't going to do anything with it. The match with Starks was pretty flat to me. 

Out all the promos this week I thought Santana's was clearly the best.

I am with those low-key enjoying the Nightmare Family vs Factory feud.

In a promotion full of factions, the Elite are the biggest group of geeks going.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It just makes me wonder if they are jerks in real life.  I kinda hope not.

I just finished their book and while there's always the chance they're hiding something I don't believe they are.  I got the impression that they're pretty decent guys that are just better as heels than faces.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

This might belong in the general thread, but the prospect of Bucks vs Kingston/Mox got me wondering, what are historical examples of great small/flying heel vs larger babyface tag team matches? I’m drawing a blank but I’m sure I’m just a moron. 

There is probably a good Midnights/Road Warriors match out there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Conti still has more to do, but she is getting there and cool to see her development. Between her, Cargill, Velvet and Britt, they have a few solid female workers who are all improving and should be the focal point of the division once they get past the joshi era.

Darby vs Jungle Boy was a really good match, juxtaposed with a god awful Luchasaurus-Sting exchange. Would happily see them match up again in future but I guess we have to see Darby/Archer vs Page/Sky next. I am sure someone out there wants to see that match but it's not me.

They have been pushing Page as #1 contender for weeks now with zero indication of a title match. Are they going to run that at the PPV? Or hold off on it? Seems like a strange move to have Page so strong if they aren't going to do anything with it. The match with Starks was pretty flat to me. 

Out all the promos this week I thought Santana's was clearly the best.

I am with those low-key enjoying the Nightmare Family vs Factory feud.

In a promotion full of factions, the Elite are the biggest group of geeks going.

Elite are 'geeks' but don't need to be geeks in a negative sense. Mentioned in another thread but Omega way over-hams his presentation on the TV shows for my liking. But take him away from that and he comes across very well on the games show he hosted. More mature, more authentic, actually naturally amusing .. so you can retain those 'geeky' elements but actually be quite cool with them. I could probably actually buy Omega/Bucks trio as a snobbish group with affinity for European fashion/BM-style music/obsession for wrestling who look down on everyone else around them. In a calendar year where likes of Elon Musk, Winklevoss twins etc. who are equally at home geeking out over feats of engineering or being seen at some Ibiza rave have totally taken over the cultural zeitgeist, the meaning & presentation of 'geek' has upgraded slightly.

RE: Those female names -- yeah, I think that set absolutely kill it with mainstream US audiences in a way the joshi set never had a hope of doing. Big credit to whoever drove that recruitment surge.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh yeah Santana has been the sneaky breakout star of this whole feud. His look upgrade has strong "dude in the white jacket from the Beat It video" energy. Main event ready.

Santana's promo was pretty great although his promo sounded a lot like one Jacob Fatu cut when the Contra invasion angle first started.  When he challenged Tom Lawler he said something to the effect of "Today, everyone got to see the color of your blood.  When I come for your belt, they'll get to see the color of your spine."

It was a pretty awesome promo. Fatu is one of the few guys I'd allow to go off script so long as he remembered to reel in the bleep words.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Watched Shida/Conti and Allin/Jungle Boy back. Like them even more second go round. Shida/Conti my MOTN. Love to see it run back MMA style with appropriate attire. All for Judo. My Uncle is a black belt and used to run a training class.

There's no way Blood and Guts takes up the full 2 hours. I could see them giving it the full first hour, run an interview segment or 2 to take apart the cage, and maybe run an Elite 6man main event to end the show.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

This might belong in the general thread, but the prospect of Bucks vs Kingston/Mox got me wondering, what are historical examples of great small/flying heel vs larger babyface tag team matches? 

Brawling babyfaces vs. smaller stooging heels?

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Brilliant match. The Midnight Express vs. The Southern Boys at WCW The Great American Bash 1990. Said event is still a favourite of mine for the above, Big Van Vader debut and Sting wins his first world title, the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Ric Flair.

• Like 1

I thought it was a great show and I really like AEW overall but god damn, did every single match have post-match extracurriculars?  I don't think any bout ended with just a win, let the win breathe, then go on to something else.  I need to check but I do think every match had a brawl or at least someone come out and do something after the bell.  Come on, guys.  At least nobody interrupted an interview this week, I guess.

Hangman winning with a different move and something we've never seen is what I need more of in wrestling.  Damn straight not every win needs to be off a finisher.  If I haven't gotten it across yet, that shit was great.

It's this week's Goofus and Gallant!  Portrayed by JR and Excalibur, and I'll let you figure out which is which.  Trent and Penta do maybe not the best looking ring apron piledriver.  Gallant covers for the wrestlers as has every competent commentator has done throughout the storied history of pro wrestling, telling us that Penta tried to block it but just made matters worse for himself.  Goofus, possibly drunk, shits all over the spot, mumbling some shit about Penta not being hurt by it at all by the move and, furthermore, Trent probably hurt his tailbone.  Off mic, Gallant pines for the return of PWG where he can go back to commentating by himself once in a while.

Jade Cargill working that 1987 Bam Bam Bigelow gimmick

JR makes up a story about how Hobbes has been studying Butch Reed.  Because he's a black guy and can only emulate other black wrestlers of the past.  Apologies in advance and I take it all back if the story is true.

When did Billy Get to be "Billy Gunn" again?  They need to continue this angle by having QT bring back the brother Billy left behind to pursue success with DX.  

JR namedrops both Killer Karl Kox and Dick Murdoch after a brainbuster, raising the stakes this week!  Next week he'll do the same and then follow up by telling us David Duke really liked watching UWF.

Please please no more inside terms.  I wanted to chuck something at the TV after about the 12th time someone said "promo" during that Pinnacle segment.  Then MJF started talking about "rubs."  Oh lord fuck this dumb shit.

JR calls a spinebuster a power bomb, can't remember the actual name when called on it,  and we're all seriously concerned for his health at this point

Alex Abrahantes going full on heel translator and accompanying Penta to the ring is what we've been waiting for.

Conti/Shida was the best thing, start to finish.  Cool intros, sportsmanship, Dark Order applauding Shida when she came out, excellent match.  Just great.  Baker coming out would have been cool on another show, but not this one where, as mentioned, they did something like this after every match.

Apparently there's a timespace portal under the ring, as QT got a wooden chair from 1982 MSG.

Speaking of strange happenings, The Elite turning off the lights and teleporting out of their trailer was something.

Florida is a pretty weird place so maybe time and space work differently there.  Maybe there are spots where reality is a little thinner.

Darby/JB was 1999 HHH/Rock.  Two guys who are the future of the company just tearing it up.  Excellent match with both guys turning up the intensity and chippiness at the end, with Darby winning with a wrestling hold.  Tremendous.  More of this, please.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

JR makes up a story about how Hobbes has been studying Butch Reed.  Because he's a black guy and can only emulate other black wrestlers of the past.  Apologies in advance and I take it all back if the story is true.

When Butch Reed passed away a story came out that he loved Hobbs so much that he considered him a modern day Butch Reed.  Hobbs got wind of it and showed his appreciation on Twitter.  So I know it's JR but there seems to be some truth to it.

23 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Darby/JB was 1999 HHH/Rock.  Two guys who are the future of the company just tearing it up.  Excellent match with both guys turning up the intensity and chippiness at the end, with Darby winning with a wrestling hold.  Tremendous.  More of this, please.

That's pretty damn spot on.

• Like 3