DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XVI - 5/16/2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Log said:

I’d be all for WWE going full-Lucha Underground. It’s just weird that they present that stuff as being in the same universe as their other stuff. Seems inconsistent. 

the only universe that matters to them is the WWE Universe. Whether that be 1 universe or 500 it's the only Universe that counts. 

35 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Lol I did.  The mall's had a shooting or 2 plus a huge battle royal type brawl in the past 5 yrs or so.  

My family lives in Edgewood so I've spend my fair share of time in Monroeville...that popped me huge lol

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 7:05 PM, D.Z said:

Zombies

wwe-wrestlemania-backlash-zombies-army-o

Found out afterward a friend of mine did the make-up for the zombies. His company also did it for the film.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

I don't know exactly how the feud got to a Lumberjack match, but it was overall kinda presented as a promotional tie-in to Army of the Dead (even using a Batista tweet of him sending his "friends" to lumberjack the match).  Yeah, presented as real zombies (including them swarming Miz and Morrison and Preist avoiding them at the end).  It's corporate shit, but it was hardly any more egregious than anything involving Bray the last couple years, so yeah, I don't get why the people that thing all of Bray's Fiend shit was awesome is shitting on this so hard.  It was a throwaway match, not a World Title Main Event.

Not being facetious here: Are there actually people who "thing all of Bray's Fiend shit was awesome"? I honestly don't know, and I would be surprised (maybe shocked) if there are, and I doubt that they would be the same people who (correctly) think that actual zombie lumberjacks are a very very bad idea.

I really don't know, though. I'm better off just ignoring WWE, and WWE discussion, for the most part.

A friend sent me a clip of the zombie nonsense and I popped over here to enjoy the reactions and see if anyone was defending that decision. Not at all disappointed on either count.

2 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Not being facetious here: Are there actually people who "thing all of Bray's Fiend shit was awesome"? I honestly don't know, and I would be surprised (maybe shocked) if there are, and I doubt that they would be the same people who (correctly) think that actual zombie lumberjacks are a very very bad idea.

I really don't know, though. I'm better off just ignoring WWE, and WWE discussion, for the most part.

As one of the people who commented on how silly the zombies were, I'll say I don't have a high tolerance for Bray's gimmick nonsense. I know I have a much higher tolerance for his actual wrestling than most people, Raz included. But I wasn't cheering on most of the Fiend stuff I saw, with an exception for the Cena Firefly Funhouse (which went so far it came all the way around to being entertaining). Just my two cents.

Also, please don't refrain from WWE discussion. Seeing you posting here was damn near an event for me. Preach it how you feel it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

When he started it I used a long-winded paragraph explaining why I found it it to be quite awesome.  He touched on past versions of his character with the Funhouse and if done right I found it to be really great.  Then things went off the rails I believe when he started with the red lights in matches and had the HIAC match with Seth.  After that it wasn't the same.  But I still maintain if Bray was given the a sense of creative control he could be in one helluva horror movie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So according to Fightful Wrestling, Miz suffered a torn ACL in the match.   Amazing that after years of never getting injured by wrestling "safe", he tears his ACL wrestling zombies 

To be fair - it wasn't the Zombies that caused it. It was Priest landing on his leg

And Meltzer confirmed the tear - just they don't know how severe. They are hoping it is just a partial tear.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious where the Miz got hurt, but they can say he miraculosly survived the swarm of zombies only suffering a torn ACL in the process! So, he wasn't the only one having a bad day! With the ending and the aftermath of the main event, the show could have been also called "Cesaro Has a Shitty Day!"

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - it wasn't the Zombies that caused it. It was Priest landing on his leg

And Meltzer confirmed the tear - just they don't know how severe. They are hoping it is just a partial tear.

Well, worse comes to worst, there's your first big surprise entrant in Rumble '22. 

Never liked Bray stuff, but I thought the zombies was hilarious. One of the funniest WWE bits in years even if unintentionally, all involved sold it perfectly. It made the match unique, like something straight out of the 2K game that had zombie versions of wrestlers rather than just another Raw match, something this show needed. I do wonder if it would be better received if it were a Halloween Havoc type themed show. I loved the part where they just start fighting the zombies and the commentators are like "They've had to team up and join together to fight the undead!!", classic. Sad for Miz, but legit eaten by zombies is an all time great "storyline write off for injury" 

16 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

A friend sent me a clip of the zombie nonsense and I popped over here to enjoy the reactions and see if anyone was defending that decision. Not at all disappointed on either count.

Oh, yes.  I'm not slamming the evils of Vince and his circus and shitting on everything, therefore I'm defending it...

https://media.tenor.com/images/bd698b0bd31184892046f284d5fac8e7/tenor.gif

I have a much higher tolerance for Fiend horseshit than most, and even I don't love all of it. I will add the caveat that I believe that the stuff that I don't like isn't Bray's fault, but instead the product of WWE having no idea how to handle a character like that. It doesn't excuse the blatant fucking stupidity that was a zombie lumberjack match...

• Like 1

The Triple threat was the only thing I saw in full so far, I really miss rewind button. I watched the last probably 5 minutes of Bayley vs Bel Air  and parts of Roman vs Cesaro. I used to being able to rewind back to the beginning of matches I really want to see.  I seen people say the Triple threat was heatless,  I thought that was funny considering there's no real crowd. Not to say that they are wrong or right but you know considering the circumstances that was funny. Strawman was really good in the match, it's a shame how the book him

I like the idea of of some of the stuff with the Fiend, but I feel they went too far with most of the supernatural elements. I skipped the zombie stuff because it was so random and out of pace. It also didn't help that NXT  did a match with zombies for Halloween Havok back in October that was way the hell better set up and pretty fun. I couldn't see Priest/Miz remotely comparing. Priest is already too serious of character to make it work well.

• Like 1