DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XVI - 5/16/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I'm not a fan of the excessive three way matches WWE is always churning out but the women's title match was actually pretty good. There were no excessive lulls of one person laying around and everyone got a chance to shine at some point. Rhea winning was also the right move. Was Charlotte supposed to be dressed like a cow?

The conclusion to the tag title match could be seen coming a mile away and it went on twice as long as it needed to. Just for a second I was wondering if Dominick was going to blow the match and we'd get a Rey heel turn or something.

The less said about that lumberjack match nonsense the better.

Bayley/Bianca was solid though the ending was sloppy.

The Raw title three was was a decent enough hoss fight and Lashley rightly retained. I don't know where he goes from here. They've been heating Sheamus up lately so maybe him?

Cesaro/Roman was probably the best match of Roman's that didn't involve The Shield or The Wyatts. Cesaro looked absolutely king sized even in defeat. I guess Rollins is pissed his jacket got ruined when someone knocked a bunch of paint cans off a scaffold.

Pretty good show all around and the first time in a long time where I think the right people won.

Yeah, Cesaro vs Roman was really good with just exceptional selling and struggle by Cesaro as he never, ever, ever failed to factor the arm into what he was doing, but in a way that made things more emotional as opposed to rote or mechanical. Some of the little moments of fight over the guillotine towards the end were tremendous and Roman's exasperation and desperation was a big part of that too.

• Like 2

Asuka/Rhea/Charlotte was good. Curious to see if Charlotte/Rhea goes down in the cell or as just a normal match.

I kind of paid little attention to Rey vs. Roode/Ziggler until Dominick came in. Dug the rest of the match and may have to go back and check out the handicap portion. I only didn't pay attention to the early portion because I kind of passed the point where I can enjoy an handicap match unless its some sort of monster squash.

I didn't bother with Miz/Priest. I barely had nay interest the before. The zombie stuff just seemed stupid and killed my interest completely. Its not even that I can't enjoy such things, but I need a good setup like they did with Grimes/Lumis in NXT last year.

Bianca/Bayley was good. I assume with the finish we get a rematch.

Lashley/Drew/Strowman was solid. I liked Lashley taking the chance from one of the big moves to bide his time and steal the win.

Roman/Cesaro actually took a little time to really draw me in, but when it did damn was it so so good. Easily MOTN. Loved the trash talk from Roman. The arm work was nice, especially when he used it to shit talk DB. Cesaro looked damn good and had his moments. I was especially happy to see Roman get another clean win in. This is the shit he should have been doing last year.

The post match with Rollins coming in to beat down Cesaro did little for me. Hopefully it leads to Nakamura coming to Cesaro's defense on Smackdown and eventually Roman/Nakamura.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I'm sure the spittle filled takes that it sucked because of the zombies will be incoming.

The fact that the rest of the show ranged from really good to great made me hate that shit even worse. It was like taking a great painting and tossing a jar of mustard on it.

• Like 1

We made chicken salad out of that lumberjack match. My nephew and his pals sat and made fun of it with us. I had hyped them up about what a lumberjack match is and then that happened. The boys laughed and MST3K'd it with me and my pal Chris. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

We made chicken salad out of that lumberjack match. My nephew and his pals sat and made fun of it with us. I had hyped them up about what a lumberjack match is and then that happened. The boys laughed and MST3K'd it with me and my pal Chris. 

If they had Bruce Campbell show up and kill all the zombies it would've went from awful to just about the greatest thing ever.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If they had Bruce Campbell show up and kill all the zombies it would've went from awful to just about the greatest thing ever.

One of the kids said " This would be ok if it was the Fiend" while we shit on it. He gets it.

• Like 2

Mens triple threat was a good fun big man spotfest with the Godzilla vs King Kong vs Mothra carnage. Thought Braun in particular was awesome in it. As good as that possibly could have been.

Cesaro isn't a guy who's at his best when working from beneath selling a bodypart, but still that main event was really great. Just like the 2 Roman vs Bryan matches, if there had been a live crowd going mad for it, it would be a slam dunk MOTY. Excellent performance from both guys, really awesome 'journeyman has the match of his career' story. Even though you know Cesaro wasn't winning, they went as far as they could to make him look legit. His arm looked nasty with all the welts and cuts on it too. Seth Rollins is such a wet blanket, coming out in literally the worst suit I've seen in 30 years on this planet to set up next month's HIAC match. That couldn't have waited?

I'm not trying to be the guy who doesn't watch WWE, but comes into the WWE thread to shit on stuff, but can someone help me out with this zombie stuff?  

I have a couple quesitons:

1. How did they get to this stip?

2. How were the zombies presented?  Did the announcers act like they were "real" zombies or actors?

I don't know exactly how the feud got to a Lumberjack match, but it was overall kinda presented as a promotional tie-in to Army of the Dead (even using a Batista tweet of him sending his "friends" to lumberjack the match).  Yeah, presented as real zombies (including them swarming Miz and Morrison and Preist avoiding them at the end).  It's corporate shit, but it was hardly any more egregious than anything involving Bray the last couple years, so yeah, I don't get why the people that thing all of Bray's Fiend shit was awesome is shitting on this so hard.  It was a throwaway match, not a World Title Main Event.

Man, it's not that this PPV was bad. I thought most of the in-ring work was solid, hokey zombie shit notwithstanding. It's how stale and just.... same that product feels. This programming is just screaming for a bevy of fresh faces and instead we get yet another configuration of the same people. I appreciate everything Drew McIntyre did during the pandemic to keep the Raw show watchable, but it's gotten old. Strowman just doesn't do it for me. Lashley is awesome, but how many times can he be expected to have watchable, fresh matches with the same handful of guys? It just feels very.... bleh. Solid ring work from bell to bell, just nothing worth getting the least bit excited over. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

I’d be all for WWE going full-Lucha Underground. It’s just weird that they present that stuff as being in the same universe as their other stuff. Seems inconsistent. 

Maybe, but the Undertaker and Papa Shango were doing supernatural shit 30 years and Bray/Alexa we’re doing supernatural shit last PPV. It’s like instead of going full-Lucha Underground, they’ve been consistently 5%-Lucha Underground.

42 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Maybe, but the Undertaker and Papa Shango were doing supernatural shit 30 years and Bray/Alexa we’re doing supernatural shit last PPV. It’s like instead of going full-Lucha Underground, they’ve been consistently 5%-Lucha Underground.

I think this one is weird to me because those examples, and even the Fiend stuff, are wrestler-vs-wrestler weirdness.  I guess it's the introduction of actors attacking the wrestlers that throws me off.  I can't put my finger on why this seems different than those examples.

2 hours ago, Log said:

I think this one is weird to me because those examples, and even the Fiend stuff, are wrestler-vs-wrestler weirdness.  I guess it's the introduction of actors attacking the wrestlers that throws me off.  I can't put my finger on why this seems different than those examples.

I can get that. Like even AEW had Abadon bite into Shida’s neck, but this is more akin to WCW bringing in Robocop or Chucky.

• Like 1