DVDVR Message Board

2021 Post-Mania WWE Purge

48 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

They do this every year. I'm sure there is more to come too. This is how WWE is. Maybe if they had the courage to actually form a union... 

In short, Vince, Prichard and Laurinaitis can piss up a rope.

There was a point in time over the past few years where they weren't doing releasing people in Bulk like this. Up until the Pandemic they were picking people up just to keep them from AEW,  heck they were picking people up to keep them from MLW.

I think they thought they whole industry was going to really suffer from the Pandemic and it wouldn't matter who these other companies had access to at that point. Me personally, I've always thought WWE wouldn't have released so many of those guys if there wasn't a Pandemic and they continued running normally because they probably wouldn't have come to the realization of how much money they saved by not running live shows across the country plus AEW was doing good business running shows before the pandemic. I don't know if Vince cares about the fact that AEW got over 1 million viewers the first week NXT moved to Tuesday but I'm sure Hunter and Shawn does.

I don't like to see people fired but I'm sure most of them will get some good work. It's kinda funny and sad at the same time that we know there's a few guys that have been subtle and vocal about wanting to leave WWE and even joked about going to AEW even to the point where people like Omega interact back with those same talents and WWE refuse to release them.

What a crazy business, you keep the guys that are vocally unhappy but you release ones that probably wasn't ready to go. At the same time I'm sure some of those people that got released were ready to go or probably would take it either way.

I know Samoa Joe was getting a lot of projects outside of Wrestling before and even during his WWE run so he's probably the most set out of all of them and probably would get the best offers from promoters in the business. Joe probably be like Punk and not have to work a match a again while still getting crazy offers to do things in wrestling without actually wrestling. Selfishly I wanted more our of Joe in WWE. They had a chance to do Joe vs Cena before Cena became full time in Hollywood. I wish they had a full on feud, them cutting promos would've been gold.

Joe seemed like a HHH guy, but I've come to realize being a HHH guy only works in NXT. I would've thought he was a Bruce guy too based on his TNA run and him being close to MVP. I said last week by far the best commentator 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

And as you can see, as soon as you said that, the defenders have come out.

Yeah. Wrestling fandom is burning me out. Be it WWE fans, AEW fans b or what have you. Temporarily embarrassed millionaires who'd fire people for "budget cuts" while they rake in more and more. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nate said:

My lane is: If "creative" has nothing for very talented roster members, it's not the roster members who should be removed.

That's been an excuse for almost 20 years with them. A company that has a creative team of 30 people on top of that. Whether or not 30 people in creative is needed is a different story. It's just a lame excuse to give reasoning to cut people.

That's just like when Vince went on Austin's Podcast and said none of the talent would go out their way to try to get over or pitch him ideas. Then afterwards talent would go on Austin's Podcast or Jericho's Podcast and talk about how they'd got to creative or even Vince directly and their ideas would get shutdown. 

I'm sure there is probably more talent from this modern era walking on eggshells, well atleast before AEW but I refuse to believe that some guys been around 5 to 10 or more years in the same spot and not just go directly to Vince and just ask him what they need to do to get over.

• Like 2

Adnan Virk isn't cheap guys 

Also seeing a lot of "Billie Kay's in ring is bad"  So is/was Brit's but her character work is great as is Brit's.  Bilie and Royce vs Brit and Rebel would be great promo's up until the actual match  which may or may not deliver (but hey at least we get memorable promo's)

At what point will WWE realize creative is the problem?  At least we aren't seeing the same matches week after week trading wins and losses.  Now we are seeing it on ppv's.  A step up I guess. 

Note to any NXT workers reading this:  Do not answer your phone today. They are not calling you about a descripincy in your paycheck

• Like 2

For all the talk about Billie and Peyton's wrestling careers from here I'm still hoping that they do a sitcom.  I'm at the moment thinking a "Two Broke Girls" style show but with Australians though whatever it is they really deserve their own show.  Now they can technically do both though if it's AEW I hope TK can sweet talk TNT into considering it.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

lol they replaced Samoa Joe at the commentary desk with Pat McAfee. This fucking company.

Is there a reason he's not wrestling?

I'm surprised HHH didn't do him like Undisputed era and keep him in NXT.

11 hours ago, Eoae said:

Maybe, but we don't actually know what was said to talent.  We tend to make a lot of assumptions about what people in the company actually said or did when they were face-to-face based on a couple lines in the Observer that may have been reported to Dave by someone not in the room at the time.  I read "budget cuts" as the sort of bland pr-speak human resource depts use when they don't want to get into specifics.  I hope whoever gave talent the bad news didn't just shrug and say "budget cuts.  Seeya around" but that wouldn't surprise me either.

Whenever there's a purge, I always wonder how much off-camera stuff plays a factor.  I assume that, at least occasionally, attitude and work habits play a factor in getting cut or not, but we'll never know how often or too what degree.  I generally feel like fans think they know more about what goes on "inside the fishbowl" than they really know. 

Corporate bootlicking AND vague victim blaming in the space of just a handful of posts.  Please say something about "bootstraps" next!  Man, Eoae, you keep doing you.

Please find some fucking empathy.  And please please please, when karma catches up with you and whoever you work for fires you for no reason other than to help their bottom line and look good to stockholders, please come here and give us all the details and tell us how you fully agree with their right to do so to you and how maybe you had a bad attitude or something.  Jesus. 

When Covid started , I had to fire a really good man.  A guy I worked with for over a decade.  He's still trying to find a job.  Neither he nor I were like, "doot doot doot, can't blame the company, they're well within their rights as a person corporation to put longtime great people out on their asses god bless corporate America and the sacred job creators doot doot doot."  For me, for him, and for everyone fired just to sate stockholders' infinite thirst for more and more filthy lucre, fuck you.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Corporate bootlicking AND vague victim blaming in the space of just a handful of posts.  Please say something about "bootstraps" next!  Man, Eoae, you keep doing you.

Please find some fucking empathy.  And please please please, when karma catches up with you and whoever you work for fires you for no reason other than to help their bottom line and look good to stockholders, please come here and give us all the details and tell us how you fully agree with their right to do so to you and how maybe you had a bad attitude or something.  Jesus. 

When Covid started , I had to fire a really good man.  A guy I worked with for over a decade.  He's still trying to find a job.  Neither he nor I were like, "doot doot doot, can't blame the company, they're well within their rights as a person corporation to put longtime great people out on their asses god bless corporate America and the sacred job creators doot doot doot."  For me, for him, and for everyone fired just to sate stockholders' infinite thirst for more and more filthy lucre, fuck you.

I've been in the same boat and will never work for a bigger corporation again.

What people need to be more upset about is that they are citing budget reasons. If you follow WWE at all on Linkedin they are always hiring marketing managers, recruiters, etc.  But that's not even the bigger issue. They are online flashing Adnan Virk and Pat Mcafee as new hires when you just let go 9 people  many of whom the fans love.  Just a real shitty thing to do. "hey guys we just hired these two but sorry about letting your favorites go"   Would love to see a huge NOAH esque mass exodus of talent leaving WWE on their own just because they can.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I really didn't want to be so harsh on the original poster but god damn.  Yes, companies can do what they want, but fuck, man.  This is like a major plane crash happened and 200 people died and a dude came here and posted, "well, that happens, planes have mechanical issues and you agree to hold them harmless when you buy a ticket, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  "

When a bunch of people lost their jobs only to make room in the bottom line, posting about how it's a corporation's right to do it is tone deaf as Ed Sheeran.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Days like this I'm of the mindset that the absolute worst thing to happen to WWE is they went public.  It benefits Vince and his cronies but directly and indirectly hurts everybody else.  Kind of makes me wonder what would happen if they stayed a private company but I feel this was always going to happen.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I really didn't want to be so harsh on the original poster but god damn.  Yes, companies can do what they want, but fuck, man.  This is like a major plane crash happened and 200 people died and a dude came here and posted, "well, that happens, planes have mechanical issues and you agree to hold them harmless when you buy a ticket, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  "

When a bunch of people lost their jobs only to make room in the bottom line, posting about how it's a corporation's right to do it is tone deaf as Ed Sheeran.

Holy False Equivalencies, Batman.  Take a step back and *really* think of what you just accused someone of.

• Like 5

Shocked by them letting Joe go, but hes been out of the ring for some time and I think that pushed the decision. 

Billie and Peyton had their magic together and once creative split them I felt their futures were kinda bleak. Just odd that they'd release Billie as she just made a WM appearance.

I'll be interested in seeing where some of these men and women end up. Mickie can still go and loves wrestling. 

I dont like these mass releases. There shouldn't be a day where you decide that all the "loose ends" are cut. Some of these people are floating in limbo for months or yrs. Just seems like it would be more professional and courteous to monitor and make decisions about people's careers on an individual level.

13 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Holy False Equivalencies, Batman.  Take a step back and *really* think of what you just accused someone of.

Then take your moral superority, and go over to the AEW thread and tut-tut the people over there making lists of the talent Khan should cut to make room for the WWE castoffs.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I dunno what I said to make you think I was victim blaming, but that wasn't what I was going for.  You seem to be making a number of erroneous assumptions about me in general, but that's not really my problem  

And please please please, when karma catches up with you and whoever you work for fires you for no reason other than to help their bottom line and look good to stockholders, please come here and give us all the details and tell us how you fully agree with their right to do so to you and how maybe you had a bad attitude or something

Well, since you asked so nicely, I was basically let go from a previous job because my boss and I had some fairly divisive philosophical differences and couldn't work together.  No one had a bad attitude - sorry to disappoint - but we were butting heads fairly regularly about matters large and small, and neither of us had a lot of confidence in the other's judgment and vision of the future.  I wasn't thrilled about it at the time, but he made the right call for the company and himself.  My replacement got along much better with management and the company did quite well with him in my old role.  I moved on to a similar position with another firm and have been there over 17 years (and several promotions).

You're going to be disappointed, but even though being let go presented some short-term challenges for the family, we weren't bitter.  Stuff happens.  It was fairly obvious that butting heads wasn't going to be viable in the long-term. so something had to be done.  Honestly, hindsight makes me think it's a good think I was let go.  I was pushing a fairly aggressive growth strategy and the owner and other partners favored a more conservative approach.  I think my approach would probably have worked out well, but experience now leads me to think it was riskier than I believed at the time.  Could have turned out poorly.

Anyways, I'm out.  Have a good weekend.    

Oh, one last thing.  "Something about "bootstraps"

• Like 1

So, back when the pandemic started, I was talking with a couple of collegues at work and we naively thought that this would teach companies to stop running so lean and start putting actual value on  people that show up even in bad shit.

Stupid me.

• Like 5