DVDVR Message Board

2021 Post-Mania WWE Purge

Billie Kay and Payton Royce never clicked for me in WWE. I loved them both in SHIMMER but for some reason In WWE they didn't do anything for me. Maybe it's because they were too much like LayCool or beautiful people for them to translate to me

Edited by Ziggy

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

...and this is why AEW isn't competition with WWE. One is a wrestling company, the other is a publicly traded entertainment conglomerate. Jericho was correct, apparently. 

You're...talking about AEW right?

42 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That promo was so good. That's the stuff I'm talking about when I say that even if his body has a fair bit of wear and tear, he's still got that x-factor that can get people hyped. 

Edit: The Joe promo from the last page. 

This. How Samoa Joe can talk and has an aura around him that he's a believable arse kicker. 

Samoa Joe should've ended Brock Lesnar's first reign as WWE Universal Championship, that never ending long one in 2017 and beat AJ Styles for the WWE Championship during their 2018 feud.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

What I take from this is I wonder exactly how bad Joe's concussion issues were and if WWE simply were just never gonna clear him. While it always felt like they could do more with him when he was available he was generally always used, it's not like he was stuck in the spot Ricochet, Black or Andrade found themselves in. Hoping for him to have a bunch of dream matches now is one thing, but I hope he's actually healthy enough to do so and not ignoring any medical advice.

I feel bad about Mojo as he always showed flashes of something and just never seemed to be given enough work to try and hammer it into something more fully rounded. With a bunch of the other releases I can see them getting work somewhere else, with him I don't know if anyone who'd give him enough matches to have a chance at that development will want him.

Billie Kay seemed hurt most by WWE not being very big on non-wrestler roles like manager as... well she's just been pretty poor in-ring this whole time and one would have hoped that she'd have shown some signs of improvement by now.

It's not just that they don't give a real reason for the firings (as far as we know), it's that these people would be of worth and not needing to be fired if they knew how to book their fucking talent and give them something to do other than sit in catering. It's like Budd in Kill Bill 2 actually being right about not having a job to do because there isn't a job to do. When you can't figure out how to give your employees something to do, there's a problem. And I think it's a fair argument for fans to make as well as wrestlers because we're the ones paying them to sports-entertain us. 

All this "business has to be a business" talk is incredibly crass and tunnel-visioned, by the way. Dare I say even cruel and uncaring to the employees. If you're a fan, you shouldn't be defending this shitty corporation. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Mojo came in at a time where NXT was turning into a WWE indy, which in retrospect hurt him. I think that the audience was actually pretty patient with limited workers, but the show started getting booked in a way that didn't leave Mojo much room to grow on his own. He needed a handful of singles programs and ended up in a tag team with Zach Ryder, which isn't the worst thing in a vacuum, but isn't a great option if you're really trying to get a guy to grow on his own as a singles. 

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As for Impact they seem to have a good roster but there's moves that can be made within there too.  If they pick up enough big names they might get more attention from those who normally don't watch them.  

Their champion is Rich Swann, for fuck's sake. They're still giving Tommy Dreamer pushes. They can definitely squeeze in some more people on the roster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I like the argument that Vince and co shouldn't be honest about these firings simply "because they don't have to."

Going to bat for corporations is weird. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Everyone puts them over so Well. I think they'll benefit from wrestling outside of WWE. The only issue is that there's not actually any other promotions that are booking Women's Wrestling. Maybe Impact has a good division but both those Women need more visibility than Impact. I guess AEW is starting to really turn things around. I wasn't really a fan of the IICONICS gimmick even though they pulled it off well. I think I didn't like it moreso because I knew they'd be type casted as gimmicks rather than quality inring workers in WWE. Even what Billie Kay was doing in the end, I'm sure Vince thought it was funny but it doesn't have a long shelf life if you're not over enough with him. I remember when Sasha got called up she mentioned them as dream opponents and they just started in NXT.

It's funny how the Diva Stan's on Twitter complain about the Women's tag Division doesn't get treated fairly when the most of the time the Mens Tag Division doesn't get booked properly either. You've got a whole Women's tag team Division and you get rid of the Only Real team you have?? It just proves WWE isn't a tag team territory. These WWE Women's Wrestling fans complain about something that's been an issue for ever.

I haven't chimed in yet because everyone else has said what I think.

That aside, there is no defending WWE here. People are clamoring to see just about every single person released wrestling elsewhere. So of course WWE has no use for them and decides to "trim the budget".

I get going there because they pay the most and are the biggest promotion out there. I really do. When you sign the contract to work there, this is what they do. Unless you're a "legend" (in Vince's opinion)  or have a famous relative (again, in Vince's opinion).

On a similar note, yeah it is their friends being fired but why is this always so surprising to the roster? They do this every year. I'm sure there is more to come too. This is how WWE is. Maybe if they had the courage to actually form a union... 

In short, Vince, Prichard and Laurinaitis can piss up a rope.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spontaneous said:

On a similar note, yeah it is their friends being fired but why is this always so surprising to the roster? They do this every year. I'm sure there is more to come too. This is how WWE is. Maybe if they had the courage to actually form a union... 

How would a union keep them from being fired? Are you saying no one should be fired?

Do WWE have to explain their reasons for firing people, absolutely not. 

Should they? That is another discussion. I think when they can terminate employment, seemingly at a whim and explanation,privately should occur at the very least in my opinion.

People: WWE is bad for hoarding talent, they should do something with these people or cut them loose!

WWE cuts talent loose.

Same People: HOW DARE WWE CUT PEOPLE LOOSE!!!!

Pick a damn lane.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

People: WWE is bad for hoarding talent, they should do something with these people or cut them loose!

WWE cuts talent loose.

Same People: HOW DARE WWE CUT PEOPLE LOOSE!!!!

Pick a damn lane.

And this is essentially my issue. It sucks to see people fired, but I also think for a decent many its a far better option than having them sit and do nothing. Or do a role they don't want to do.

15 minutes ago, nate said:

My lane is: If "creative" has nothing for very talented roster members, it's not the roster members who should be removed.

Except creative isn't necessarily the issue so much as the person they are writing to please. Beyond that WWE is bloated at times and absolutely needs to cut some fat. Its best that be people who want to go or that they aren't using well and won't be any time soon. 

• Like 1