DVDVR Message Board

2021 Post-Mania WWE Purge

Two things-

1 - when was the last good Samoa Joe match? It certainly wasn't in WWE. Fantastic character and mic work yes, but otherwise his days of being able to bring it in ring are long gone. 

2 - if Billie Kay does come back to Australia, I cannot wait to see every local promoter who've sworn black and blue they were blackballing her for doing her husband dirty do a complete 180 and paying all the money for appearances.

But also if her and Peyton turn up in AEW as the iKronic and doing a tribute to Kronic doing a tribute to the APA, I'd also be OK with this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

So Joe is clearly #1 on the Tony Khan free agent market today right?

If he's healthy enough.  Bille Kay should be considered for a job.

Mickie will probably be avaliable to AEW through NWA anyways.

Edited by alstein

4 minutes ago, zendragon said:

you know a while back in the AEW threads we where kinda spitballing about experienced women they could add to the roster. Mickie really fits that role. would love to see her have matches with Britt Baker, Anna Jay, Tay Conti, Red Velvet, Abadon, Jade ect

Presumably her most logical landing place is the NWA. 

14 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Two things-

1 - when was the last good Samoa Joe match? It certainly wasn't in WWE. Fantastic character and mic work yes, but otherwise his days of being able to bring it in ring are long gone. 

2 - if Billie Kay does come back to Australia, I cannot wait to see every local promoter who've sworn black and blue they were blackballing her for doing her husband dirty do a complete 180 and paying all the money for appearances.

But also if her and Peyton turn up in AEW as the iKronic and doing a tribute to Kronic doing a tribute to the APA, I'd also be OK with this.

What did Billie do, not heard that before

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Define good.  Was he having five star classics, nope, but he wasn't embarassing himself either.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Sure, pretend you're not excited about Noam Dar's talk show segment. 

Will it feature. . .

*clears throat*

ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWX?

Seriously, that's the one thing I actually remember Noam Dar for.

• Like 6

I also assume by WWE - he means main roster

So using just Main Roster matches and (while not the greatest metric to use - it is a starting point)

WWE Joe Matches that got 4 stars from WON

vs AJ Styles

Summerslam 2018 (4.25)

Hell in A Cell 2018 (4)

Super Show-Down 2018 (4.25)

Tag

Joe/Andrade vs. Ali/Rey Jr - SDL 1/8/19 (4)

Multi-Person

Extreme Rules 2017 5-Way(4.5)

Summerslam 2017 4-Way (4.75)

MITB Match 2018 (4.25)

Elimination Chamber 2019 (4.5)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mikeoldmac said:

What did Billie do, not heard that before

Her husband was a pretty good local worker who wasn't far off a PC deal himself, but stopped his own career to help support her when she started getting booked in the US. Ended up managing an Ikea in Pittsburgh instead. Rest from there is best left as speculation/unfounded gossip, but common response from promoters in Sydney and Brisbane is that she isn't welcome back for doing their boy dirty.

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Define good.  Was he having five star classics, nope, but he wasn't embarassing himself either.  

Fair call, they weren't terrible but they under delivered. The Nakamura matches in NXT weren't good at all. Balor series had its moments. AJ series was great out of the ring and solid otherwise, without holding a candle to their earlier stuff.

• Thanks 1

If you would've asked me who would have an overall better run in WWE a decade ago between Bo and Bray, I would've bet on Bo because he was pushed so heavy in FCW/NXT. I thought the Wyatt family was cool but knowing WWE I didn't expect it to be a thing for 2 long. I wasn't much of a fan of Bo in NXT, he wasn't bad but I just thought there were people way better that could've been in his spot. He's definitely way better than Bray in ring but Brays gimmick was way more over. I kinda wish Bo got a chance to work other places way sooner than he may get the chance to when his non compete is over. I don't know,  Bo kinda gives off the vibe of a free spirit and could care less about politics,or position on the card.

wonder how or if this hurts ratings at all.  I mean in all seriousness the Raw after Mania really shit the bed this year. I guess they would rather pay Adnan Virk a shit load of money than actually have talented in ring performers. You know the guy wasn't cheap.  Fuck WWE. I watched Every Monday since Primetime when I was 7.  Most Smackdowns unless I had plans and would still DVR, but how can you honestly get behind this company right now?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

...and this is why AEW isn't competition with WWE. One is a wrestling company, the other is a publicly traded entertainment conglomerate. Jericho was correct, apparently. 

Or ...

One is a public traded entertainment company run by a crazy old man. The other is a rich kid playing with his real life action figure federation. 

YMMV 

?

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Just saw the AEW overnight number.  Yeah, maybe Vince was on to something with this "sacrifice a few NXT rating points to keep AEW from catching fire" thing.  It'll be interesting to see if they can keep the number up or maybe even build on it.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of Joe in AEW and I don't even watch Dynamite much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horatio said:

I liked Joe vs Reigns more than any other Reigns match. 

You can't be talking about their PPV match. IIRC, that widely panned as being the wrong match on the wrong night at the end of a long show. But they had some good TV stuff. 

Re: Joe, even if there's been some decline resulting from injuries (and there clearly has been), he can still very much hold his own and put together a competent match. And what he brings goes beyond that to aura and presence. He can get people excited for his stuff. Remember how psyched he got people about a Brock match we knew he was going to lose? Personality goes a long way. And not being trapped in a rigid system will give him the chance to let it rip and show the people how much is still there. 

Excited for this. Much better than holding out hope for that gold watch WWE reign that people thought he needed for some reason. 

• Like 1