DVDVR Message Board

2021 Post-Mania WWE Purge

They brought back Jonathan Ace just to cut all these motherfuckers.

agree with most of these predictions. I hope Joe had one last “fuck you” run on AEW just to show his stuff on national tv one more time. I also wouldn’t mind Billie Kay doing like, merchandise shilling and interviews for AEW. Just have her ham it up...

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Kalisto was low-key one of Baron Corbin's best opponents. What happened to them constantly looking for that next big Hispanic star? Would committing to him have interfered with one of Del Rio's million pushes. 

They want another Eddy Guerrero and/or Rey Misterio, and that's all they'll accept.  But both of them are once in a lifetime, amazing talents that came about in a very specific way through various factors coming together perfectly.  It's not going to happen again and they're missing out on a lot of talented guys because they won't accept anything but a five star Latin-American worker who speaks perfect English with off the charts charisma.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

They really dodged a bullet not making the last tournament for actual belts.

It might be Mandela effect, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a Dark match graphic where Ivelisse and Diamante had belts instead of medals.

I am so bummed that NWA is now behind a paywall and got crushed by this pandemic because I would love to see what Corgan could do with some of these releases. 

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In 2021, he is a lower-card act. 

he certainly was drawing a shit ton of money on the independents and headlining all over a few years ago. Not saying you push him as your world champ but you can't draw money with one of the biggest stars of the last twenty years? Is what they're doing with him really the best use of him, especially considering he's probably getting paid on the higher end of the roster?

• Like 2

It blows my mind that Tommy End has basically wasted 5 years of his life in WWE with nearly half of it doing fucking nothing. Dude was young as hell when he came there, an instant star in the making, now he's 35, on his third or fourth repackage, watched his wife get released, etc.

Here's a lesson folks...If you really, really, really love WWE, then by all means, chase that dream. Otherwise, yeah, they're going to offer you a lot of money, but expect the likelihood that they capitalize on your talent to be extremely low. Go get that money and exposure elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Maybe there should be more people who treat the business as a job and less of fulfilling some childhood dream. 

There's a sports axiom about how playing for the team you support as a kid can be heart breaking. Prob holds true for working for Vince. 

• Like 5

Rey's 46.  His body has been broken down for a lonnnggg time.  I have trouble watching him without thinking about an interview he gave in WCW (on camera, but out of character; this was around the time nWo Nash lawn-darted him into the side of a production truck) where he talked about wanting to make a million before and get out of the business before he's 30 so he doesn't end up being one of those guys who hangs on too long and ruins his long-term health.

Yeah, I wonder how that's going.

I feel like Rey can still work, but he's past the point where there's much upside to doing much with him but putting other guys over.  Honestly, he might have been my second least favorite act in WWE this year.  His neverending feud with Seth was awful and everything else he's been involved in has been dragged down by Dominik.

Just realized Wesley Blake was among the cuts.  Legit amazed he hung on this long.

Edited by Eoae

With the probable exception of Joe, I'm not too surprised by any of those names. Billie Kay has been great with the scraps she has been given..she's almost too good for pro-wrestling and I kind of hope someone in showbusiness has noticed. From her WWE run she hasn't come across as the most accomplished worker, to put it mildly, so it will be interesting to see what she does after Iconics do an inevitable run of the indys and maybe a turn on AEW.

Royce....is better but was still whiffing her offence on the semi-regular iirc. I could well see her with her husband eventually, because we all know Spears needs another gimmick....but tbf a woman with The Pinnacle wouldn't necessarily be a terrible thing.

Kalisto hasn't had a push in a while..they threatened one on Smackdown a year ago when he split off from the LHP and turned heel. But then crickets...was there a change on the writing team around then?

Mickie James wasn't over tbh. Last time she did anything interesting was her heel run on Impact imho.

Chelsea Green was someone else I liked on Impact but didn't see a lot in her in NXT. Let's face it, the WWE Women's division is choc-full of top performers and you're going to have to be very, very good to stand out. Good enough isn't good enough.

Yeah Bo has been transitioning away from wrestling...I liked his look in The Miztourage and they kind of hinted he might turn face on The Miz. But then that didn't really work for Sandow or Riley so.....

Tucker didn't get much of a break. He's 30, 6ft2 and 300lbs so he can work his way back in maybe.

I don't really know much about Wesley Blake.

• Like 2

At first, I thought it was weird that they released Tucker instead of trying to repackage him as something else in NXT. Based on his tweet though, that dude was looking for a way out.

3 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Chelsea Green was someone else I liked on Impact but didn't see a lot in her in NXT. Let's face it, the WWE Women's division is choc-full of top performers and you're going to have to be very, very good to stand out. Good enough isn't good enough.

I knew she was doomed from her first appearance on NXT.  She came off as someone who was best player on her high school team, who got to college and realized she was overmatched.  It wasn't really her fault, but she came in at a time when the NXT women's division was about as talent stacked as possible.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In 2021, he is a lower-card act. 

They've never seen him as a tippy-top guy, so he was unfortunately never going to get the all-time-great legend/attraction presentation. Having him work every week in the most sterile product ever in a never-ending feud with Rollins... That's a road to the lower card if I've ever seen it.

AFAIK, this whole run has pretty much been a bust except for the stuff with Andrade and the other folks who got involved in their multi-man stuff. Oh well, I'm sure he's happy he got his son's foot in the door. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati